Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Please help me own my first car (mustang)

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/13, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please help me own my first car (mustang)

I am 18 just got my job and have wanted a mustang for as long as I can ever remember. I have just saved 5000$ and I live in Canada ontario which means high tax and environmental tax? I live right across from Detroit Michigan. So I was thinking should I get the mustang from the states or just buy here? I'm planing on spending 26,000 but no more.. ( A v6 i know!) Idk if I should go with ford financing or a loan with my bank and throw 5000 down.. My girlfriend of 2 years who does not live with me has a grandpa who has retired in Detroit from ford who I can uses x plan or here I can use her uncles x plans.. How much would I possibly get off?? And if the z plan is much more how much aproximently? Is it worth putting in my girlfriends name so she gets the z plan discount? Or someone else in her family? After my gf got the discount could I switch the owner into my name or something? Could someone help me out with my options and stuff /: it'd be greatly appreciated I want to become a part of the mustang group!
Old 7/20/13, 06:41 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know about the different plans but please take strong advice from many years of financial dealings, ex-wives, girl friends; and being in a 30 yr sales career where I've heard all kinds of stories about ex's, girl friends, etc...

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PUT YOUR CAR IN YOUR GIRL FRIEND'S OR ANYONE ELSE'S NAME.

Women come and go. Especially girl friends at your age. Don't let them take your hard earned money or your Mustang. Share what you have if you choose, but keep your stuff in your name.

Joint ownership is another matter of course if and when you get married... but that has its own rewards - and its own risks.
Old 7/20/13, 07:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
times 450,000 what he said /\ /\ /\

No matter how much the x plan saves you it is not worth putting your ride in someone elses name. Maybe look at some used cars and not spend so much on a ride at this point in your life
Old 7/20/13, 08:56 PM

You guys are probably right but that easy probably 5 grand off I would own the car under a year fully just how would I go about putting it in my name from hers?? The car would be paid in full it would already be paid off just how would I get it in my name I heard I'd have to say I bought it for close to invoice and pay all the taxes just to put it in my name? That's pretty ridiculous IMO
Old 7/20/13, 09:07 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake Leshwa
You guys are probably right but that easy probably 5 grand off I would own the car under a year fully just how would I go about putting it in my name from hers?? The car would be paid in full it would already be paid off just how would I get it in my name I heard I'd have to say I bought it for close to invoice and pay all the taxes just to put it in my name? That's pretty ridiculous IMO
See - you're focusing on the 5k off. I understand that's a big teaser incentive. Fantasy. Don't you think the governments have people that watch for this game by those that live along the border??

What you aren't considering is that people lie, cheat, and steal. Including girl friends and their family members! So sad... but so true. How do I know? Guess. I'm 57 and been around the horn a few times.

Imagine the flip side where you lose all $26k!! The car goes away but your name is stuck paying the loan!! Or after its gone way, you bail on the loan and lose your credit rating for decades! Destined to live in crappy apartments and drive used junker imports!

Or go to jail for cheating overbearing governments (Canada AND US) that have endless resources to hang your ****.

Or have to spend an easy 5-10k+ in attorney fees - plus the enormous stress and fear - particularly considering you would wind up needing 2 attorneys - one in Canada to defend your cheating the gubmint, and one in the US to try and recoup your Mustang if things go haywire (which they usually do when you are trying to work an angle and your "partners" KNOW it!).

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/20/13 at 09:34 PM.
Old 7/20/13, 09:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I am going to reiterate what's been said, because you really REALLY need to have it beaten into your skull.

Do.

NOT.

Put another name on that car unless it's a co-sign, maybe, and YOU are the primary. Unless you like it and you put a ring on it, there is NO OTHER PERSON who needs to 'own' your car.

Not your parents. Not your siblings. Not a non-spouse. >>Nobody.<<

---

That is, unless, UNLESS, you implicitly trust said person(s) with your very life, both real as well as financial, emotional, and all other 'lifes'. Like, you would let them spend your money, directly, with no strings attached sort of trust. Or to not push you off a cliff kind of trust.

There are too many tales of people who have done something of what you are considering, whether it's a car, a house, credit cards, what have you, and they got stuck like Chuck.

Of course, maybe YOU want to own the car, and let girlfriend be stuck with the payment, but... that's evil, and I'm sorry I've even said it.... unfortunately, THAT's happened too...

Really think about what you're doing. Seriously. Don't be emotional... this is a $30K decision. One should not be impatient or emotional about that, even if it's 'love' for a car.
Old 7/20/13, 09:37 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I am sure your GF is wonderful but no one can predict the future. The 5k should not be a pivotal point. You can find a car and negotiate a good deal, making the xyz or shazam plan moot. There's a zillion dealers with cars ready to go on the lot. Especially in your neck of the woods. Family pricing is on too i think. Just work a deal with someone at your side to help keep you on track.
Old 7/20/13, 09:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Truth: I purchased a beater car in my younger and more stupid days and my girlfriend co-signed for it with me. I put around 5k down and she put 1k. We shared the car but broke up about a year and a half later.

She went her way and I went mine. I kept the car and continued to pay it off. Well, I chose to sell it once I paid it off and did. However, I was shocked to find out that the title must be signed off by BOTH parties in order to transfer the title!

Well I emailed her asking for the signature and the bltch said she would get an attorney if I did not give her half of the money after the sale let alone sign off on the title.

Long story short. I told her I was gonna keep the car after all. I never heard back from her.

Thank God my sister has good handwriting if you get my drift.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 7/20/13 at 09:45 PM.
Old 7/21/13, 07:44 AM

Yes I would get probably 5 or more thousand off and the loan would be through my bank so when I buy the car through the dealership she would own it right away and then it's the whole thing of trying to get it in my name after that... It would already be owned and everything so I would just have to try and put it in my name and take hers off.. She wouldn't do any irashional considering I'm helping her pay for a new focus.
Old 7/21/13, 10:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

https://themustangsource.com/f657/he...ang-v6-523586/

check this thread out its almost about the same thing your talking about in this thread.
Old 7/21/13, 10:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes I would get probably 5 or more thousand off and the loan would be through my bank so when I buy the car through the dealership she would own it right away and then it's the whole thing of trying to get it in my name after that... It would already be owned and everything so I would just have to try and put it in my name and take hers off.. She wouldn't do any irashional considering I'm helping her pay for a new focus.
irashional.... my guess is you don't know well enough about how women think.
Old 7/21/13, 10:27 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
irashional.... my guess is you don't know well enough about how women think.
^this^

Your gonna screw yourself ..
Old 7/21/13, 11:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hm. To sum up this entire thing:

"I want to do something ill advised!" - OP
"You really shouldn't do that." - Everyone else on the planet.
"No, really, I think it's a great idea, even though it could harm me!" - OP
"*SERIOUSLY*, you should not do that. Honest. We're trying to help..." - Everyone.
"No, it'll be ok, you'll see. Hold my beer. I'm gonna do it. Wish me luck!" - OP

---

Shana... He's buying the car and putting in GF's name... OP knows what he's getting into!

I say, let him crash!

Last edited by houtex; 7/21/13 at 11:06 AM.
Old 7/21/13, 07:33 PM

If her grandpa retired in America at fords would I get the discount here in Canada with the pin :s... Second just if!! I did put it in her name how could I switch it to mine!? Would I have to pay a lot to switch it to mine!? If I said I bought it for cheap off her can't I just say the engine was blown or something stupid like that?? Someone help me out I know someone has got away with what I'm asking but isn't talking...
Thank you in advance.. Plus how much would my insurance roughly cost and would when that lower?? Under 300 I would be fine
Old 7/21/13, 08:02 PM
Cobra Member

If her grandpa retired in America at fords would I get the discount here in Canada with the pin :s... Second just if!! I did put it in her name how could I switch it to mine!? Would I have to pay a lot to switch it to mine!? If I said I bought it for cheap off her can't I just say the engine was blown or something stupid like that?? Someone help me out I know someone has got away with what I'm asking but isn't talking...
Thank you in advance.. Plus how much would my insurance roughly cost and would when that lower?? Under 300 I would be fine
You've got to be kidding me right? Is this a joke? Your really not heeding the wise here. The risk of buying it and putting it in your girlfriends name is not worth any discount your going to get. If you have a fight or break up your screwed. Sure you may be in a great relationship but you should really be worried about the "WHAT IF" factor on this whole deal. I don't think anyone on here has or is doing anything like what your asking. If they are then they either habe something they can hold over the other person should something go wrong or they are married. I really hope you heed this sound advice your getting and don't make a mistake you will regret!
Old 7/21/13, 10:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok, just to answer the "How much to pay for switching it to me" thing...

You will pay *full market value* on taxes... in Texas. Doesn't matter what you paid for it. Unless you paid more than the FMV, of course. When I had my motorcycle transferred to my name, I had to list it's FMV, not what I paid for it. I paid considerably less, let's say... and Texas wants its money, so FMV it was, for it's condition, for the taxes/fees thereto to get my name on the title. They changed it a while back, used to be you could put what you paid. Not anymore. Whether they believe you or not? Well... yeah, they can get KBB values just like anyone else.

Now, I don't know how that works where you're from, but considering that? Yeah, that whole 'Saving $5K' might not work out so well at the end of the day, as you might well wind up paying a decent portion of that getting the title in your name later.

Your insurance is something that, frankly, you need to call for quotes on. And since you'll be paying for the car over time, that's full coverage (again, here in Texas, don't know your area, but likely the same) and depending on your marital status, gender, and age, that can be considerable $ per month.

You really need to stop asking us, when you get down to it, Jake, as you need to do your own homework if you're asking about insurance rates... It sounds more and more to me that you have no business even considering buying the car.

Lil' harsh, yes, but hey, welcome to life, man.

Last edited by houtex; 7/21/13 at 10:51 PM.
Old 7/21/13, 11:50 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Yes, I would most definitely advise you to come to the US, buy a brand new car and put it in your girlfriend's name. Then go home immediately and have sex with her sister, video it with your phone, then leave your phone laying out unlocked where the girlfriend will find it.

Why do this you ask? Because the likely outcome is probably going to be the same as it will with what you're wanting to do, only much quicker so you don't waste a couple more years of your life.

And in my scenario, at least you get to have sex with her sister.
Old 7/22/13, 03:36 PM

I understand what you all are saying but she is wrapped around my finger already there has to be away to back up my self so she can't take it.. Well I make the decision at the end of August if I will use xplan in my name or z plan in hers!
Old 7/22/13, 03:38 PM

Can I put my self as a lien holder? For the price of the car!!?
Old 7/22/13, 03:46 PM

I'm thinking if she puts it in her name and gets the discount I am somehow the lien holder for the price of the car so then if she tries and leaves she either puts it in my name or gives me the money? I can switch my car to my name? 5 grand or more is a lot it just took me that long to save it so why would I not want to find away in to avoid paying it

Quick Reply: Please help me own my first car (mustang)