Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you guys are real helpful. thanks
Old 8/29/14, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CiniZter
you guys are real helpful. thanks
Not a problem. Ask anything that comes up.
Old 8/29/14, 02:00 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are lens hoods worth it?
Old 8/29/14, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I always use one. The purpose is to cut down on lens flares from your light source. Unless you are going pro I wouldn't spend a lot of money on one. The higher end ones have a felt like material which is supposed to absorb more light.

I would spend the money on good filters. Having a high end lens with a cheap filter is like shooting through a cheap lens or glass.
Old 8/29/14, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With a lot of light, this older and slower Nikon 80-400VR lens worked great when I photographed the USAF Thunderbirds a couple of weeks ago in Rochester, New York. This was my shot of the day.

Nikon D700/80-400VR, 1/1000s, f/7.1, ISO 200, EV 0, 300mm focal lenght and cropped for composition.

Last edited by ststang; 8/29/14 at 02:45 PM.
Old 8/29/14, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

^^ very nice
Old 8/30/14, 11:08 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bjbsav
I always use one. The purpose is to cut down on lens flares from your light source. Unless you are going pro I wouldn't spend a lot of money on one. The higher end ones have a felt like material which is supposed to absorb more light.

I would spend the money on good filters. Having a high end lens with a cheap filter is like shooting through a cheap lens or glass.
I usually tend to get a lot of flares so I've been debating on getting one. Especially at Cars and Coffee.

What kind of filters would you recommend?

Awesome shot ststang!
Old 8/31/14, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zincmach1

Awesome shot ststang!
Thank you! One filter I use a lot is a circular polarizer filter. It cuts down glare and reflections which comes in handy when photographing cars, water on surfaces and through glass. It also enhances the colors of the sky and clouds.

Here's an example:

Old 8/31/14, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zincmach1
I usually tend to get a lot of flares so I've been debating on getting one. Especially at Cars and Coffee.

Awesome shot ststang!
I use B+W filters on all my lenses. Tiffen has been a decent lower priced filter.
Old 8/31/14, 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Nice shot Ststang, those colors really pop.
Old 8/31/14, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

My job today.

Laura S by benbrengman, on Flickr

At little fun

Goofy Laura s by benbrengman, on Flickr
Old 9/1/14, 04:28 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
hey guys, is this kit a good deal? I'm looking at getting back into photography as i feel my phone isn't cutting it. I've also been very interested in some creative stuff, like macro. I am familiar with the 7D and used to have one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Canon-EOS-7D-Digital-SLR-Camera-7-Lens-LOADED-KIT-16GB-/141167350334?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item20de3ad23e

Last edited by DarrenGT; 9/1/14 at 04:31 PM.
Old 9/1/14, 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I'd say yes it looks like a really good deal, but one of those deals that seem to good to be true. You're getting a really good higher end Camera, but the 2 lenses that come with the package are lower end kit lenses.

If you're wanting to do macro photography you aren't getting a macro lens, and you would need to purchase one in addition.

I'm always leery of ebay deals, and I would proceed with caution. If the deal were from Bhphoto, or Adorama then I wouldn't be so pessimistic.
Old 9/1/14, 05:38 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
I'd say yes it looks like a really good deal, but one of those deals that seem to good to be true. You're getting a really good higher end Camera, but the 2 lenses that come with the package are lower end kit lenses.

If you're wanting to do macro photography you aren't getting a macro lens, and you would need to purchase one in addition.

I'm always leery of ebay deals, and I would proceed with caution. If the deal were from Bhphoto, or Adorama then I wouldn't be so pessimistic.
I was wondering about those lenses for sure because I know a good lense can cost way more than a camera body. They might be good for learning on and throwing over my back on the motorcycle. Sounds like some fun tools to play on before dropping big coin on a purposeful higher end lense. Thanks for the cautious opinion
Old 9/1/14, 07:51 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

i pulled the trigga on this kit. I'll play with the lenses and post some stuff. Need to relearn the camera, but i do remember liking it.
Old 9/1/14, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
i pulled the trigga on this kit. I'll play with the lenses and post some stuff. Need to relearn the camera, but i do remember liking it.
I have one of those so feel free to ask any questions.

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 9/2/14, 09:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You've done quite well.

Watch
when you get a chance. It's a hell of a camera.
Old 9/2/14, 09:43 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by narphenal
You've done quite well.

Watch Canon 7D Torture Test when you get a chance. It's a hell of a camera.
that was hilarious LOL

P.S.

The catch behind this deal is they REALLY push you to get an extended warranty for 259. I bet they sell a ton of those to make up their margins.

Last edited by DarrenGT; 9/2/14 at 10:02 AM.
Old 9/2/14, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the Triggertrap? Seems like an extremely capable piece of equipment, for pretty cheap. Only messed around with a few shutter/timelapse units, but this one seems pretty flexible.

that was hilarious LOL

P.S.

The catch behind this deal is they REALLY push you to get an extended warranty for 259. I bet they sell a ton of those to make up their margins.
Screw extended warranties on (most) things. I'd much rather get some kind of insurance/accidental protection on lenses than a camera anyway.

Probably. I've thought about getting a 7D as a backup crop sensor camera that I can abuse the heck out of(I'm already pretty hard on my current camera), but just never have.

If I had the extra cash to throw around I'd probably just buy a small mirroless camera that I could almost always have on person.
Old 9/2/14, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by narphenal
Anyone have any experience with the Triggertrap? Seems like an extremely capable piece of equipment, for pretty cheap. Only messed around with a few shutter/timelapse units, but this one seems pretty flexible.

Screw extended warranties on (most) things. I'd much rather get some kind of insurance/accidental protection on lenses than a camera anyway.

Probably. I've thought about getting a 7D as a backup crop sensor camera that I can abuse the heck out of(I'm already pretty hard on my current camera), but just never have.

If I had the extra cash to throw around I'd probably just buy a small mirroless camera that I could almost always have on person.

A while ago I put together a rebel xs and a 40mm lens to give to the bridesmaids while getting ready. I get some fun pictures from it.

Quick Reply: All things Photography