General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Epa seeking to prohibit conversion of vehicles into racecars

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/16, 04:27 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Epa seeking to prohibit conversion of vehicles into racecars

I don't know, doesn't look too good. Not too happy about this at all.

https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08...-into-racecars

I do see Roush and Whipple "maybe" being okay as they are CARB compliant. "Maybe".
Old 2/11/16, 11:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Everyone take a step back, breathe a little, and say to yourselves "It's gonna be ok... ooohhhmmm...."

'Cause this:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...ctually-means/

EPA ain't doing anything except clarifying. We can chop up all the cars for race that we wanna just like before... but you'd better not put that **** thing on the streets, ya outlaw pirates. Yarr.

Happy tracking!
Old 2/12/16, 02:38 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by houtex
EPA ain't doing anything except clarifying. We can chop up all the cars for race that we wanna just like before... but you'd better not put that **** thing on the streets, ya outlaw pirates. Yarr.
Happy tracking!
HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Good news!
Old 2/13/16, 12:01 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Are you sure now?? Because mostly everyone on svtperformance is pretty much saying it's game over for modifications. This is like a nightmare coming true. Hopefully it does not. Sucks bad.
At least we still have Whipple and Roush. Both of them are EPA and CARB compliant.
Old 2/13/16, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
No, I'm never sure. I mean, the Supreme Court doesn't even know what a proper levy of tax is (re: Affordable Care Act) so who can be sure about anything these days?

All I know is that as long as my car is OEM, I'm good, and that's the way I pretty much deal with it. My suspension is still modded, my body is still modded, my interior is still modded, but the engine? Nope, not interested in screwin' with a perfectly working OEM motor, I ain't made of money and don't have time to play track days.

"She's fast enough for you, old man" - Han Solo.

---

That said, this is the OEMs doing the 'You can't mod our cars without our say so!' thing, coupled with the EPA and CARB wanting to 'clear the air' more, and also get better MPGs.

Everyone knows what needs to happen here... but will they do it? That's right, vote out the incumbents, all of them, that don't understand the situation.

Hasn't been happening in the past 30 years, seems...

---

And having said THAT... the reality is this:

Unless you can't pass emissions... how are they gonna know? Hm?

Mod to y'alls hearts content. Just be ready to pay the bill if it comes up, just like those who are under factory warranty and blow their motors up playing with them.

If you can't pay, you really shouldn't play.
Old 2/13/16, 02:33 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by houtex
And having said THAT... the reality is this:
Unless you can't pass emissions... how are they gonna know? Hm?
Mod to y'alls hearts content. Just be ready to pay the bill if it comes up, just like those who are under factory warranty and blow their motors up playing with them.
If you can't pay, you really shouldn't play.
I'm not being facetious here, but don't the gas stations/dealerships have instruments to read the emissions on a car at yearly state inspections? I'm pretty sure that they do that do now.
With that being said, "IF" this law passes, it doesn't go into effect until 2018. "IF". I have no interest in not being emissions compliant anyways. As long as I can mod as much as I want without being fined or told to take off modifications. If I pass emissions and can still have my mods, that's great. People with those long tube headers, cam swaps and going catless, obviously, will have a lot more to worry about.

And, I do agree with the motto that,...."If you can't pay, you shouldn't play".
Old 2/13/16, 02:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
And, I do agree with the motto that,...."If you can't pay, you shouldn't play".

That depends on who is deciding how much it takes to play.

The government is notorious for outlawing things through taxation and fining so that the majority of people who would participate in said activity won't anymore.

And people who have tons of money often like to make certain activities more expensive, for the exclusivity of it.

These high cost application fees and training sessions required to exercise your second amendment are crap. Yet they get away with it.

Our right to drive and/or mod our cars isn't protected by amendments, just keep that in mind.
Old 2/13/16, 03:22 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by lowblustang00
That depends on who is deciding how much it takes to play.
The government is notorious for outlawing things through taxation and fining so that the majority of people who would participate in said activity won't anymore.
And people who have tons of money often like to make certain activities more expensive, for the exclusivity of it.
These high cost application fees and training sessions required to exercise your second amendment are crap. Yet they get away with it.
Our right to drive and/or mod our cars isn't protected by amendments, just keep that in mind.
I'm NOT for the government to do this. AT ALL. I'm not a fan of our current government to begin with. Believe me bro. They keep chipping away at our freedoms more and more.
And by me writing,......"If you can't pay, you shouldn't play", I'm referring to when a person's warranty is void or if he/she blows a hole in their block or twist their half shafts into oblivion. He/she gotta have the money to repair or it's game over. lol
I'm not siding with the government at all.
Old 2/14/16, 01:36 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
I'm NOT for the government to do this. AT ALL. I'm not a fan of our current government to begin with. Believe me bro. They keep chipping away at our freedoms more and more.
And by me writing,......"If you can't pay, you shouldn't play", I'm referring to when a person's warranty is void or if he/she blows a hole in their block or twist their half shafts into oblivion. He/she gotta have the money to repair or it's game over. lol
I'm not siding with the government at all.
Amen. Last I checked, we no longer even break into the top 15 "Most Free" nations list anymore. Pretty freaking sad, for the nation that was founded on the principles of freedom.

That said, the 9th amendment does protect all rights retained by the people that aren't specifically enumerated in the others, so (in theory, anyhow) your right to do what you will with your own **** property (car) is indeed protected. The issue is that the government totally sucks, and ignores that amendment's existence pretty much completely.

I saw the petitions going around about this and, honestly, ignored them. I figured it was typical fearmongering via misleading headlines, and after brief inspection of the matter, agree with my original assessment. I'll be supercharging my car as soon as I get everything else in order (brakes, suspension, drivetrain), and I'd **** sure like to see them try to stop me.