General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Anyone Own a Tacoma? Thinking about trading my DD

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/16, 08:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Anyone Own a Tacoma? Thinking about trading my DD

I know I might be askin for it, posting about a Toyota on a Ford site, but was wondering if anyone here owns a Tacoma and how they like it. Or any issues they've got with it.

I've looked at a few trucks, but am settling on the Toyota for size and reputation. I know too many people with problems w/ relatively new Chrysler products, owned too many Chevys, and don't need/want a full-size F150.

I've been thinking about getting a truck for a few years. We've been using our daily drivers for haul stuff around, a '13 Focus sedan and a '12 MazdaSpeed3. You'd be surprised what you can get away with (I found out that yes, a 10' length of 4x4 will fit in a a Focus...barely...and with no one in the car. Yes, you can put 8 bags of mulch in the Mazda if you don't mind bottoming out the suspension). But it was about the time I was bringing back a motorcycle engine from Pennsylvania in the hatch of the Mazda that I realized a) this car is too nice to be doing this kind of stuff with, and b) I really should think about getting a truck. We'd put one to good use -- to haul leaves/yard waste, to pick up stuff that's too big to fit in a car, carry the motorcycle in the bed, towing, etc

I'm kind of on the fence though for money reasons -- more like the condition of truck we can afford. Our budget would basically put us about at a $15000 truck, and for our needs (double cab, 4WD, long bed) you can't touch one with under 100K on the odometer at that price. People generally say they're reliable, but I'd be trading in a 30k mi, 3yr old Focus for a 100k+ mi, 9 or 10 yr old Tacoma. The Focus will be rock solid for the next 50k mi at least. The truck, dunno. I've seen plenty with close to 200k for sale still at about the $13000 price point, so they've gotta be dependable, right?

Last edited by Cavero; 1/31/16 at 08:57 AM.
Old 1/31/16, 11:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Tacomas of all years were seemingly *everywhere* in Hawaii (just got back, Big Island and Maui)

Ridiculous amounts of them. I struggle to remember if there were any Fords, Chevys, Dodges or other types of small-medium sized trucks, but man there were Tacomas aplenty. Mostly the 4x4s, mountainous stuff y'know, but still.

There's one issue I am aware of, and that's the frame rails are under recall for the previous generation (I think... something like that.) You get a *free* new, updated frame under recall from Toyota. So be sure to check on that when you look at them. Don't know the exact years or recall, just know it's a thing(tm). Rust issues on the old design might cause the truck to fold up/break in two. So, yeah, they don't want you to have that issue...

Newer ones won't be having this issue, so if you get a 2-3 year old, not a problem.

Can't advise past that, just thought I'd say it for ya. I work at a Toyota place (hey, it pays the bills, right?) and the word seems to be "Yes, this is a dang good truck, period."

/...'cepting maybe the frame rails, but again, recall, free replacement, yay...

Last edited by houtex; 1/31/16 at 11:16 AM.
Old 1/31/16, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I worked for Toyota for a couple years in the service dept.
they are good trucks, some years and engines better than others!
What are you looking at as far as year and engine?
Old 1/31/16, 04:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Tacomas of all years were seemingly *everywhere* in Hawaii (just got back, Big Island and Maui)

Ridiculous amounts of them. I struggle to remember if there were any Fords, Chevys, Dodges or other types of small-medium sized trucks, but man there were Tacomas aplenty. Mostly the 4x4s, mountainous stuff y'know, but still.

There's one issue I am aware of, and that's the frame rails are under recall for the previous generation (I think... something like that.) You get a *free* new, updated frame under recall from Toyota. So be sure to check on that when you look at them. Don't know the exact years or recall, just know it's a thing(tm). Rust issues on the old design might cause the truck to fold up/break in two. So, yeah, they don't want you to have that issue...

Newer ones won't be having this issue, so if you get a 2-3 year old, not a problem.

Can't advise past that, just thought I'd say it for ya. I work at a Toyota place (hey, it pays the bills, right?) and the word seems to be "Yes, this is a dang good truck, period."

/...'cepting maybe the frame rails, but again, recall, free replacement, yay...
Ah, now it makes sense. There were a bunch of listings showing new frames. I thought it was a little odd
Old 1/31/16, 04:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
I worked for Toyota for a couple years in the service dept.
they are good trucks, some years and engines better than others!
What are you looking at as far as year and engine?
Awesome! I'm looking@ probably anywhere from 05-08. Definitely 2nd gen, and as new as I could afford. Engine I think will probably be the 4.0 V6
Old 1/31/16, 08:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavero
Awesome! I'm looking@ probably anywhere from 05-08. Definitely 2nd gen, and as new as I could afford. Engine I think will probably be the 4.0 V6
You're going to want to up your budget. The Tacos ridiculously hold their value. The generation you're looking at is good. I'm not a Toyota guy, but I have two friends with them and one with a 4Runner of the same generation. I wish Ford hadn't abandoned the mid-size off-road market. If you can wait another 1.5 years, Ford is bringing back the mid-size Ranger...
Old 1/31/16, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

4.0 is a good engine, watch for timing cover leaks(oil leak can get pretty bad costs about $1,500 to repair at a shop) and water pumps should be replaced around 100,000 mi.
Also they don't get very good mileage about 16-18 mpg average!
My mustang gets way better mileage with double the HP.
Another good option is the Nissan Frontier more HP, can tow a lot ( I used it to tow my old race car 6,500 lbs) same mpg. and cheaper to buy!
I had a 2010 Frontier Pro-x4 it was a really nice truck( I sold mine to buy my 2014 mustang GT,

Last edited by ElkGroveFordGuy; 1/31/16 at 09:00 PM.
Old 1/31/16, 09:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
4.0 is a good engine, watch for timing cover leaks(oil leak can get pretty bad costs about $1,500 to repair at a shop) and water pumps should be replaced around 100,000 mi.
Another good option is the Nissan Frontier more HP, can tow a lot ( I used it to tow my old race car 6,500 lbs) same mpg. and cheaper to buy!
I had a 2010 Frontier Pro-x4 it was a really nice truck( I sold mine to buy my 2014 mustang GT,
I agree on the Frontier too, but the ride is super stiff on the few that I've ridden in - would you agree? And I'm not sure on the mileage in the Frontier, but the Tacoma gets OK mileage for what it is. I wonder how the new 3.5 will do...
Old 1/31/16, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Frontier ride depends on the suspension package you get from the factory, they have 3 different options.
The new Tacoma 3.5 gets better mileage and more HP, thanks to direct injection!
Frontier and Tacoma get about the same mpg!
Old 2/5/16, 08:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the replies! sorry about taking so long.

What about the timing belt on the Tacoma? Change every 100k? how bad it is to do yourself?

Huh, honestly I'd never even considered the Frontier. Just finished reading some of the specs on Edmunds -- definitely has a lot over the Toyota. Price wise, seems like I can get one a year newer with 20K fewer miles on it. You know of any problems w/ the Nissan?
Old 2/6/16, 08:30 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Consider Nissan

I have a Nissan Xterra (SUV version of Frontier).
I love it. With 3.69 gears and a manual it is a blast to drive.
The Pro4X off-road package does ride stiff, but it is smooth on the highway.
Remember, Taco or Fronty the 4.0 will not get good gas mileage.
The automatic trucks before 2010 have a tranny fluid issue. Nissan has changed the fluid type and the radiator for free on many of them.
The 2010+ trucks have no engine issues.

Last edited by karman; 2/6/16 at 08:38 AM.
Old 2/6/16, 08:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by karman
I have a Nissan Xterra (SUV version of Frontier).
I love it.
The Pro4X off-road package does ride stiff, but it is smooth on the highway.
Remember, Taco or Fronty the 4.0 will not get good gas mileage.
Cool. Yeah I know about the mileage, I'll probably see a little better on my commute than I do on the Mustang, ~ 16 mpg. Which sucks, because the Focus gets 27-28mpg in the same commute and I've gotten as high as 45 mpg on a few trips from DC to Philadelphia. If it weren't for the gas milage and the amount of miles, this would be a no-brainer.
Old 2/6/16, 08:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by karman
The automatic trucks before 2010 have a tranny fluid issue. Nissan has changed the fluid type and the radiator for free on many of them.
The 2010+ trucks have no engine issues.
Was it a factory recall?
Old 2/6/16, 04:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavero
Was it a factory recall?
Last year, I told a friend with a 2007 about when they had a problem.
Nissan paid to fix it because it only had 75k mi. on it.
"- Nissan has issued an extended Warranty that covers transmission failures and radiator replacement related to the flawed radiator design. Covers 2005-2010, 100% till 80,000 - over 80k deductibles are required."
I have not seen any 2010s with the problem reported on the web.
Old 2/22/16, 06:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, I put down a deposit on a Taco!

This is a really interesting situation. So it's an '07, 163,000 miles on it, getting it from a reputable Toyota dealership in my area for a little over $14.5k. Was originally apprehensive about that kind of mileage, but there are a few things that put me at ease a little bit:

1) lots of people say these things last past 250k if treated well -- this one has been very well maintained

2) Drives very well. Steering tracks straight and true, no vibrations, shocks are good.

3) Engine runs smooth, no noise, and pulls very strong. Stronger than one I drove the day before with only 85k on it (to be fair the other one had a lift kit and big tires - that doesn't help). Only issue is seeping valve cover gaskets

4) Transmission had been overhauled @ 130k by AAMCO, shifts very smooth.

5) Chassis is pretty clean for the mileage, some surface rust but not bad. Not that it matters anyway (more on that in a sec)

6) Between what they're giving me for my DD as trade and what I've got saved up, I can pay cash -- no getting under another car payment!

Here's the kicker though. They did the "hammer" test on the frame two days before I drove it -- hammer went right through! Great news for me, because it's getting covered under Toyota's recall. I get a brand new frame on a 160k truck. They're going to strip it down to the frame, degrease, steam clean, rust proof and inspect everything. Anything bad enough gets replaced under Toyota's dollar. Anything they break is on theirs. I talked to their service manager and they're also going to call me when the frame comes in and they get the truck apart so I can go through it with them and make sure everything's good. I'm wary of dealer's rates, but if they're going to have it apart anyway, I can probably save a good chunk on labor. If not, then at least I get a good look at everything that needs to be done and I can do it myself.
Old 2/22/16, 08:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Gratz! Likin' the blue on it!
Old 2/23/16, 06:30 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
I think you did well! As you found these things hold their value, and just keep going.

My son has an '07 that he bought new. Truck is a tough little bugger. Son is not the best with vehicles. He destroyed a couple of mine while he was home and growing up. The Tacoma has been very good for him. Before that he had a 350z, he couldn't understand that a Z is not an off road vehicle. He loved the car, but kept trying to go camping in it. Not smart to take one down a dirt road. He replaced the Z with a Tacoma.

I would strongly recommend this truck. His seems to go where he needs to and it has not given him a lick of trouble in 9 years. Quad cab is roomy and they have enough power. Not Raptor power, but enough. He is about to replace it, and has made it clear he will be getting another Tacoma.

Good luck!
Old 2/25/16, 06:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks! I hope so. With the mileage this thing's got, I'm really hoping the reliability proves true. Unless I break down and get the TRD supercharger (pretty low boost, think its less than 10 PSI, good for around 305 HP)

Hey, if Top Gear couldn't kill the Tacoma (er...Hilux), I doubt your son can. Although it sounds like he probably did what he could