Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005-2009 Mustang
S197 Discussion & News

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 3/25/10, 3:34 PM   #1
GT Member

2008 GT Convertible
Wheel center cap removal

Yes, I know this is a ridiculous question, but how does one remove the center caps ('08 17" factory GT upgrade rims)? I think I know how they come off, but want to make sure I don't break them.
Novelty goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/25/10, 3:41 PM   #2
Team Mustang Source

Michael

2005 Mustang GT
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Mas35NYR Send a message via Yahoo to Mas35NYR
Not sure which ones you mean but if you're talking about the round button one, you have to remove the wheel and push them out from the back. If it's the hubcap type ones then you have to use the end of the lug nut wrench in your trunk. Use the opposite end that looks like a flathead screw driver to pry it off. Hope this helps.
Mods: Yes please!
1/4 mile: 13.418 @ 105.32 mph on 10/29/06
Mas35NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/25/10, 7:51 PM   #3
GT Member

Bruce

07 GT-12 F150 Lariat
Garage
I was able to get a thin blade behind the cap and wheel to pry them out, not a problem, came out easy.
BEW119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/28/10, 2:04 PM   #4
GT Member

Andy

2008 GT/CS
I'm not certain which wheels you are referring to but on my GT/CS wheels, to be sure to not damage the center caps, I removed the wheels.
* you will need a small flat blade screw driver and a pr of small needle nose pliers
* from the inside of the wheel you will see a split retaining wire around the inside of the cap
* pry one end of the retaining wire away with the small screwdriver so you can grab with the the needle nose
* after releasing the retaining wire from the full inner circle of the cap
* the cap will push out from the inside.
HPwhitevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/28/10, 2:08 PM   #5
I lust for a M24

John

Yes, they can be pried from the outside, but as stated the much safer way to avoid damage is to remove the wheel and push from the backside with a larger round object, such as the non-blade end (handle) of a screwdriver. You may need to tap lightly w/ a hammer if it's the first time getting them out. Just be careful and smart and they'll pop right out damage free.
Old 3/28/10, 3:50 PM   #6
Mach 1 Member

2008 GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPwhitevert View Post
I'm not certain which wheels you are referring to but on my GT/CS wheels, to be sure to not damage the center caps, I removed the wheels.
* you will need a small flat blade screw driver and a pr of small needle nose pliers
* from the inside of the wheel you will see a split retaining wire around the inside of the cap
* pry one end of the retaining wire away with the small screwdriver so you can grab with the the needle nose
* after releasing the retaining wire from the full inner circle of the cap
* the cap will push out from the inside.
+1

Make sure to remove the lock ring or broken fingers on the center cap could result.

Use the needle nose to raise one end of the ring above the fingers and then use the screw driver to walk the ring out like removing a tire from a rim.

Engine/Perf Mods - Borla 11752 Axle Backs, K&N, FRPP Plenum Cover, JLT Catch Can, Stack Racing STB.
Exterior Mods - SHR CS Grill Insert, CCMB Front Bracket, Jaeger Bros Flaps, WE Sequentials, AM Magnetic Blackout.
Interior Mods - Round Shifter Ball, Grabber Pony Jam Nut, More to Come!

'82 5.0 GT- Gone but not forgotten
825LTRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/28/10, 4:53 PM   #7
bob
GTR Member

2009 Perf. White GT500
They pop out pretty easy from the back side as some have said.
2009 Performance White/Blue GT500 - Born 12/12/2008 - #2969 of 3004 coupes and is #648 of 651 Performance White coupes.

Mods: MGW Shifter, UMI Panhard Rod, UMI LCA Relocators, BMR Rod End Rear Control Arms, McLeod RXT Clutch & Flywheel, ARH 1-7/8 Long Tubes, ARH 3" OR X-pipe, Dynomax 3" exhuast w/ race bullets, FRPP Cobra Jet Clutch Fluid Line, FRPP 65mm Twin Blade T-body, 2.9 Whipple w/Crusher & 3.00 pulley, Lund Tune, AFCO Pro H/E, DBA 5000/4000 Rotors, Goodridge Hoses, Hawk HP+ Pads, FRPP FR3 Suspension, Vorshlag Caster/Camber Plates

11.72 @ 123 with a craptacular 1.99 '60 time so far (pre Whipple )
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/28/10, 7:26 PM   #8
GT Member

shooter

MUSTANG BULLITT #3697
If anyone has lost one of these OEM "FORD" caps - drop me a PM

Click the image to open in full size.

"there is no substitute for torque"
shooterm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/28/10, 7:26 PM