2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Torque vs. Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/11, 10:19 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque vs. Horsepower

Hey Guys,

I need help to try and get a very good understanding of horsepower and torque. (this will be long)

It is my current understanding that torque is the amount of force needed to turn the wheel of car. Whereas, horsepower is the time element of torque; the amount of HP is the result of the amount of time it takes the torque to turn the wheels to get the car from point A to point B. (probably why HP ratings are often accompanied by the time the car took to get from 0-60mph ---> example: 0-60 in 3.3 seconds)

Equation of HP in relation to torque:
HP = (Torque x RPM) / 5252

Based on this equation, any car with the a higher torque is going to have more horsepower at the same RPMs. However, when I think about cars, not every car is going to have the same HP at the same RPM level; a 4-cylinder car at 3000RPMs will not have the same amount of HP (or torque for that matter) as a 8-cylinder at 3000RPMs. This is where my issue really reveals itself.

Lets say it takes a 4-cylinder 3000RPMs to maintain 70MPH. I know a 8-cylinder does not need that many revolutions to maintain that speed (lets say, 2500RPMs). If we use the equation above, and both cars have the same torque, the 4-cylinder shows more horsepower.

Granted, I know a V8 would never have less torque than a 4-cylinder, but just for the sake of understanding the concept, I used extremes. (But I would say it is possible for a better engineered 4-cylinder to have more torque than a V6; so the conceptual question still remains.) With this in mind, is torque and HP calculated for each piston? So for a V8, the equation above would be used to calculate HP then multiplied by 8. Therefore, a 4-cylinder with the same torque (or more, within reason), would have less HP than a V8.

So in reality, a buyer would really want to know the torque comparison between two cars and not the HP?

Lastly, which car would be faster and why? (I am looking for off the line and for a distance race, lest say 5 mile stretch)
Car A --> V6 ---> 300lbs. torque --> 224HP
Car B --> V6 ---> 210lbs. torque --> 247 HP
Old 1/30/11, 11:11 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
if racing, horsepower wins.

in daily driving, you cant legally get to peak HP RPM anyways, so its a bragging rights thing...if you drive from idle to say 3500 max daily(probably over 75% of the folks driving fit there), you might enjoy a 200hp smog bigblock that put out 450 ft-lb off idle more than the 300 hp(@ 5500) and 320 ft-lb(@ 4500) 4.6 we currently have...except for the gas station or race track visits, they each have their advantages.
Old 1/30/11, 11:20 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I REALLY wish they could find a way to get that old bigblock feel out of a modern engine- IMO it was the only way to travel- but if going to the track, you need HP...I drive several miles a year at the track using whatever the little 4.6 will give me, but about 10,000 miles with maybe a few occasional blips at a favorite onramp (no tickets in over 30 years- trying to keep it that way)...to me Id much rather have 450 Ft-lb at 2000(only 170 hp), even if torque fell from there keeping horsepower constant to redline, 99% of the time it would feel more powerful- but it would suck at the dragstrip...
Old 1/30/11, 11:36 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The thing that confuses me is that I read where they can't measure HP. They can measure torque and then they calculate HP.

So how can some engines have about the same tq & HP, but some engines have much higher tq than HP.

If HP is a function of torque, it seems to me that the higher the tq - the higher the HP.
Old 1/30/11, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

What RPM does torque peak, how broad is the torque curve, how high can it rev, what type of trans is being used, what gears, how many cubic inches or liters, enviromental conditions, fluid viscosity, type of fuel injection, forced induction or not, weight of the engine rotating internals, OHV or OHC........many things have to be considered. Personally I prefer the low end torque of my GSX 455 even though my GT is quicker from point A to point B which has more to do with the efficency of modern suspension, tires, drivetrain, and curb weight than raw power. The torque punch from a properly tuned late '60s-early '70s American big block just feels better even though the new engines are technologically better in every way. The scream of the 4 barrel carb, the brutal transfer of weight, the howling of the tires trying to get grip, the deep growl of the exhaust note......hard to explain. The GT gives a similar feeling at speed but it's different at the same time. I don't understand it either....it's not that I like the old that much better because the new is awesome....it's just a different kind of awesome.

Last edited by 2006stang; 1/30/11 at 12:52 PM.
Old 1/30/11, 12:40 PM
I lust for a M24

This is probably the most informative yet easy to understand article I've ever read on this subject:

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_power.shtml Click the link - it's easier to read than the quote below.

Originally Posted by NRHS High Performance
Horsepower and Torque

Everyone wants more torque and more power, right? Well, the first step to getting there is to understand what the terms actually mean, and many, many people don't.

I've heard all kinds of crazy definitions:

"torque is what you feel, horsepower is just some obscure mathematical concept"

"torque is what accelerates the bike, horsepower is what maintains the speed"

"it's not how much torque you have that matters, it's how much total torque AND horsepower you have"

"Horsepower is a formula, not a physical sensation, where torque is a sensation!"

etc etc. Nice simple definitions that are easy to get your mind around for sure. Unfortunately, they also indicate a severe lack of understanding of what the terms actually mean. It's not difficult to understand torque and power and how they're related, but if you read and believe stuff like this, you'll make it harder than it has to be.

Forget about horsepower for a moment, let's define torque and the other ingredient of power, which is rpm.

Torque is just twisting force. One ft-lb of torque is literally defined as one pound of force applied at a one foot radius. Well, if torque is twisting force, and twisting force accelerates the bike, what else matters? Isn't torque the only goal?

Actually no, and the reason is that torque says nothing about how fast something is moving, only how much force is being applied. But how fast it's moving is enormously important. And, as it turns out, how much force you're able to apply and how fast something is moving are interrelated. It's easy to push hard if you don't have to push fast, and it's easy to push fast if you don't have to push hard.

To illustrate this, let's take an example. Say we have a handheld drill motor. It's turning 1000 rpm and it has 2 ft-lbs of torque. If we hook it up to a gear that has 10 teeth on it, and mesh that with another gear that has 10,000 teeth on it, what happens?

By doing this we've applied a factor of 1000 gear reduction. Rpm goes down with gear reduction, in this case it'll drop from 1000 rpm to 1 rpm. Likewise, torque goes up with gear reduction. In this case it'll go up from 2 ft-lbs to 2000 ft-lbs.

Wow, 2000 ft-lbs of torque from a handheld drill motor. We've really accomplished something, huh? We can move a mountain. But wait ... it's only turning 1 rpm! We have to time it with a calendar.

So what we've accomplished is that we've generated a LOT of torque, but unfortunately, we've given up a LOT of rpm. We're pushing very hard (torque) but also very slowly (rpm).

What happens if we turn the gearing around, and drive the 10 tooth gear with the 10,000 tooth gear? The small gear will turn at one million rpm! But it'll only have .002 ft-lbs of torque. Touch it with your finger and it'll stop. We're now pushing very fast (rpm), but also not pushing very hard (torque).

The basic relationship is that if we gear deeper, the torque goes up and the rpm goes down by equal factors. Likewise if we gear taller, the rpm goes up and the torque goes down by equal factors.

Understanding this basic relationship between torque and rpm and gearing is the key. Torque and rpm are interchangeable entities! All you have to do is change the gearing. Want big rpm? Gear it taller. Want big torque? Gear it shorter. Hell, we just showed how we can make 2000 ft-lbs with a handlheld drill motor, but for that matter, we could make a million ft-lbs with a drill motor. All it takes is gear reduction. Making big torque is no big trick if you don't care about speed.

So to everyone who thinks torque is a performance metric, well, put simply, torque is simply not a meaningful number for evaluating performance unless you also consider the rpm it's being made at. If the rpm didn't matter, we'd all just gear gear our bikes into the basement, and never take them out of first gear. We have FAR more torque at the rear wheel in first gear than any other gear. The torque and rpm being produced by our engine go through gear reduction in the primary, the transmission (except in 5th), and the final drive. The gear reduction through the transmission is deepest in first gear. You want torque? Just leave your bike in first gear all the time.

But nobody wants to ride around in first gear all the time. Sure, you've got lots of torque at the rear wheel in first, you can probably even pull a wheelie you've got so much torque. But you can't go very fast. Every time you upshift, you give up some rear wheel torque and trade it for some rear wheel rpm. By the time you get to 5th you may be able to go 100mph, but you don't have enough torque left at the rear wheel to pull a wheelie anymore.

Unfortunately, there's just no way to upshift and gain more rear wheel rpm without also losing rear wheel torque. So what we really want here, what really will help the performance of the bike, is to make more torque and more rpm at the same time.

Well, as it turns out, there's a term for that: it's called "horsepower". Horsepower is literally torque times rpm (divided by 5252, but conceptually you can ignore that part, it's just to scale the number to what Watt's horse could do). The term "horsepower" describes the total combination of torque and rpm, without specifying it's makeup. But for the purposes of evaluating performance, it's makeup doesn't matter. If it's not made of the combination of torque and rpm that we want (and it's not), we just run it through some gearing. That's what gearing is for.

In the example above, the drill motor has .38 horsepower: (2 ft-lbs x 1000rpm) / 5252 = .38. After we geared it down to 1 rpm and 2000 ft-lbs, it still has .38 horsepower: (2000 ft-lbs x 1rpm) / 5252 = .38. The gearing didn't change the horsepower, it only changed the mixture of torque and rpm that makes up the horsepower.

Let's apply this to the real world in a simple example. Roy Ricer has a 600cc inline 4 that makes 40 ft-lbs at 15000rpm. He's up against Billy Biker with a Buell making 80 ft-lbs at 6000 rpm. Who's going to win?

Billy Biker has TWICE as much torque as Roy Ricer. But Roy Ricer's bike is turning two and a half times as many rpm. That means he can gear his bike two and a half times deeper than Billy Biker and still have the same rear wheel speed. Well, if he can gear his bike two and a half times deeper, that multiplies his torque two and a half times more. Two and a half times 40 is 100, and that's gonna put Billy Biker's 80ft-lbs on the trailer. At the rear wheel, which is where it matters, Roy Ricer will have 25% more torque than Billy Biker when geared for the same rear wheel speed.

The bikes I love and ride make their power with relatively high torque and low rpm. OHC multis on the other hand tend to make their power with relatively low torque and high rpm. I like the visceral feeling, the sound, the rumble, the ease of pulling away, etc, of a high torque, low rpm V-twin. But let's not kid ourselves. The fact that our power is made of high torque and low rpm doesn't somehow make it stronger than a bike with more power made of low torque and high rpm. The makeup of the motor's power isn't important for evaluating performance. What matters is more power.

One point of confusion, and I see it all the time, is when people look at torque on a dyno sheet and call it rear wheel torque. Seems to make sense, after all, the measurement was made at the rear wheel, it's rear wheel horsepower, must be rear wheel torque, right? I even see this mistake made by veteran motor guys as well as in magazine tech articles. Not unusual at all to see a glowing report of "100 ft-lbs at the rear wheel", for example.

Well, let me tell you, if someone really only has 100 ft-lbs at his rear wheel, get a stock Blast and you'll blow him into the weeds. Even in top gear the little Blast has 4.97 of gear reduction between the crank and the back wheel: 1.676 primary times 1.0 top gear times 2.963 final. With 30ft-lbs or so at the crank, that comes out to nearly 150ft-lbs at the back wheel. When you're in first gear, you've got 13.35 of gear reduction between the crank and the rear wheel giving you a whopping 400 ft-lbs!

The confusion lies in interpreting the dyno's numbers. It's not showing rear wheel torque, it's showing engine torque as measured at the rear wheel, and that's an important distinction. A Dynojet dyno won't even show torque unless you use the tach pickup, ever wonder why? It's because it needs to understand the gear reduction that lives between the drum and the crankshaft in order to calculate the torque at the crankshaft, which is what it displays. Notice how it plots torque against engine rpm, not rear wheel rpm, and the torque crosses the power at 5252 engine rpm, not rear wheel rpm. That's because it's engine torque, i.e. upstream of the gearing.

So now that we know what horsepower is, how do we make more of it? Make more torque and rpm at the same time, that's how! How do we get more torque and rpm from our engines? Well, the engine's torque is fundamentally cylinder pressure and the mechanical advantage it has on the crankshaft (bore and stroke both give it mechanical advantage). Cylinder pressure comes from filling the cylinder as completely as possible, squeezing it tight, and burning it completely. Rpm is how fast everything is happening. As rpm goes up and things happen faster and faster, there's less and less time to fill the cylinder. Hence the torque wants to drop. If torque is dropping faster than rpm is rising, stick a fork in it, it's done, because our total combination of torque and rpm is lower.

So what we do is concentrate on filling the cylinder at the rpm of interest. Many people want that cylinder fill at lower rpm so that their horsepower is made of relatively higher torque and lower rpm, we understand that. Cylinder fill is always the goal, we just change the rpm of interest. Reducing losses through the intake and exhaust tract, sizing the components for the mixture of flow and velocity that gives maximum fill, timing the cam events to match, and properly utilizing wave travel effects in the exhaust system are some of the ways we do this.
Old 1/30/11, 02:09 PM
Post *****

Interesting.

This too:

Cylinder fill is always the goal, we just change the rpm of interest. Reducing losses through the intake and exhaust tract, sizing the components for the mixture of flow and velocity that gives maximum fill, timing the cam events to match, and properly utilizing wave travel effects in the exhaust system are some of the ways we do this.
Old 1/30/11, 02:15 PM
GT Member

Question...

The new 2011 Z06 corvette produces 470lbs. of torque at 4800RPMs.
The new shelby gt500 produces 510lbs. but only 80% of it is generated between 1,750 and 6,250 rpm. (does this mean that at 6250 rpms, the mustang is only putting out 408 lbs.?)

If the above is true, then the corvette would beat the stang off the line even though the corvette produces 505 HP and the GT500 produces 550 HP, correct?

What I really want to find out is, if a brochure of car A says it has 600HP and car B has 550HP, does that mean that Car A will win every race? (Assume weight is same) Or can car B have a different sent of gear ratios that allows it to produce more torque? And if could, wouldn't that mean Car B's HP would be higher?
Old 1/30/11, 06:10 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Question...

The new 2011 Z06 corvette produces 470lbs. of torque at 4800RPMs.
The new shelby gt500 produces 510lbs. but only 80% of it is generated between 1,750 and 6,250 rpm. (does this mean that at 6250 rpms, the mustang is only putting out 408 lbs.?)

If the above is true, then the corvette would beat the stang off the line even though the corvette produces 505 HP and the GT500 produces 550 HP, correct?

What I really want to find out is, if a brochure of car A says it has 600HP and car B has 550HP, does that mean that Car A will win every race? (Assume weight is same) Or can car B have a different sent of gear ratios that allows it to produce more torque? And if could, wouldn't that mean Car B's HP would be higher?
Lots of factors there can change the outcome; Gearing (trans and final - as you have mentioned), aerodyanmics, power to weight, traction, et al.

If all things are equal, then power under the curve (something those big LS motors excel at) generally will prove quicker (ie say you have a GM powered car than makes 500 hp @ 6000 rpm and Ford powered car that makes 500hp @ 6000 rpm)

If all things are equal except horsepower, then the car with greater horsepower will win. In this case if say you have a 600hp car and a 550hp car (all other things being the same) the 600hp car can do more work per unit of time than the 550hp car can and would be the quicker car

IIRC, the GT500 makes peak power at 6000 rpm so it should be making around 480 ft/lbs at that engine speed (torque = horsepower x 5252 / RPM)

Speaking of which, the peak power and the rev limit on the GT500 also make it a pain in the **** to shift for best power which can also effect acceleration times.
Old 1/31/11, 07:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bob
Speaking of which, the peak power and the rev limit on the GT500 also make it a pain in the **** to shift for best power which can also effect acceleration times.
Could you explain this? What about power is making shifting so hard?
Old 1/31/11, 08:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very simple explanation of horsepower vs. torque:

Horsepower is how fast you're going when you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you move the wall after you hit it.

Old 1/31/11, 09:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^****it you beat me to it! had it copied too.

da-mn is censored? really? lol

Engines only make torque, horsepower is a calculation of speed over time I believe.

Last edited by fdjizm; 1/31/11 at 09:03 AM.
Old 1/31/11, 09:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
The saying I heard was , horsepower is how fast you can go and torque is how fast you can get there ...
Old 1/31/11, 09:19 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my head hurts now

thanks guys
Old 1/31/11, 03:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
The saying I heard was , horsepower is how fast you can go and torque is how fast you can get there ...
hmmm, I am not sure I can really make a different between the two in this saying.

I did like the wall example mentioned earlier.
Old 1/31/11, 03:33 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Ronin38
Very simple explanation of horsepower vs. torque:

Horsepower is how fast you're going when you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you move the wall after you hit it.

I've seen that before. And my brain pauses like it did before.

Because my "horse sense" wants to think it is brute HP that moves the wall. (It is incredible to see the power of one horse in action.)

VS how fast you accelerate towards the wall from a dead stop would be torque.

But then again, I still want to say my 3.73's are taller than 3.31's.
Old 1/31/11, 04:17 PM

to quote Carroll Shelby...

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races."

i ignore horsepower #'s. i look at how flat or broad the torque curve is.
on the street, torque is king! at the strip most sacrifice low end torque for power to redline.

theres a good read on torque/horsepower here.
be sure to read the redneck vs ricer at the bottom
Old 1/31/11, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Torque is a measurement of force, applied at a distance (radius). So how hard you push.
ie Nm or Newton Meters in the European way.

Horsepower is a measure of energy dissipation/generation, so how much you can add to an object's kinetic energy, ie acceleration.
ie kW or kiloWatts in the European way (just like your microwave)

http://www.porsche.com/international...turesandspecs/

Thought of a different way, a jet engine doesn't generate much torque, but it sure can generate some horsepower.

Last edited by CO_VaporGT_09; 1/31/11 at 04:21 PM.
Old 1/31/11, 05:31 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by impetus maximus
theres a good read on torque/horsepower here.
I remember that site! Great V8 section.
Old 1/31/11, 11:21 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Could you explain this? What about power is making shifting so hard?
Its not about the power itself, its that the GT500 makes peak power at 6000 rpm and thats right on the 6250 rev limiter. Drag racing is a power addition game, when you shift into the next higher gear and power is lower at the bottom of the next shift compared to the top of the previous shift then acceleration will suffer.

And by power I mean horsepower after all the wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff it goes through with gear mutliplication in the transmission.

I think I have access to a complete dyno run on a stock GT500 engine in a magazine, I'll see if I can find a decent optimized shifting rpm calculator and plug in the numbers, I'm positive shifting higher than the factory rev limiter will allow better accleration times.

--->edit<--- found a quick one that using gears 1-4 --->edit<---

It was a C&L dyno run and the run using thier intake recorded a bit higher RPM but the overall curve was the same, if you look at the results (I used 2000 to 6500 rpm) you simply cant rev high enough to make the same power from gear to gear however shifting at 6500 (even though the power essentially flattens out at 5500 rpm) gives the best power under the curve.

The factory shift light can be set to 6000 rpm and the limiter is at 6250, but running right past the limiter to 6500 is a better option in terms of drag racing.

Input Parameters Are the Following:
  • Transmission Ratio One = 2.97 to 1
  • Transmission Ratio Two = 1.78 to 1
  • Transmission Ratio Three = 1.30 to 1
  • Transmission Ratio Four = 1.00 to 1
  • Horsepower = 150 at 2000 RPM
  • Horsepower = 250 at 3000 RPM
  • Horsepower = 300 at 3500 RPM
  • Horsepower = 350 at 4000 RPM
  • Horsepower = 400 at 4500 RPM
  • Horsepower = 440 at 5000 RPM
  • Horsepower = 470 at 5500 RPM
  • Horsepower = 480 at 6000 RPM
  • Horsepower = 480 at 6500 RPM
Computation Results:

Using the Criterion for Maintaining the Same Horsepower Before and After Shift:
Finding Best Shift Placement Points For Ratio 2.97 to 1.78: Error: Search outside range - need more RPM range in HP table! Finding Best Shift Placement Points For Ratio 1.78 to 1.30: Error: Search outside range - need more RPM range in HP table! Finding Best Shift Placement Points For Ratio 1.30 to 1.00: Error: Search outside range - need more RPM range in HP table!

Maximumizing the Area Under the Horsepower Curve:
Finding Best Shift Placement Points For Ratio 2.97 to 1.78: Found optimum shift RPM at 6499, which achieves maximum area under horsepower curve, and lowers the RPM to 3895 after shift Finding Best Shift Placement Points For Ratio 1.78 to 1.30:
Found optimum shift RPM at 6497, which achieves maximum area under horsepower curve, and lowers the RPM to 4745 after shift Finding Best Shift Placement Points For Ratio 1.30 to 1.00:
Found optimum shift RPM at 6500, which achieves maximum area under horsepower curve, and lowers the RPM to 5000 after shift

Last edited by bob; 2/1/11 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Torque vs. Horsepower