2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Resale Value of Auto GT vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/04, 11:27 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously on any other automobile an automatic would have a higher resale value. Does this apply to a Mustang GT? My dealer was telling me that sticks have a much higher resale value. However, he had a sole manual GT in his lot. I would think that they would be close and sell for the about the same price to the right buyer.

Unbiased opinions wanted.
Old 11/10/04, 11:28 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you already thinking about selling it?
Old 11/10/04, 11:33 AM
GT Member

No acutally, I am still undecided over manual vs. auto. I have drove both. Shifting is fun, but this will be my daily driver year round even in the winter. I am afraid I might get sick of shifting.

I still have a chance to change my order this week.
Old 11/10/04, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Lynx4Ben@November 10, 2004, 12:36 PM
No acutally, I am still undecided over manual vs. auto. I have drove both. Shifting is fun, but this will be my daily driver year round even in the winter. I am afraid I might get sick of shifting.

Well mine is also going to be a daily driver in a warm climate and I am going with a stick. As far a resale value, I would think the auto would be more, when ever you price your vehicle with kelley's or edmunds, you add on the automatic option, I have never seen where it gives you a negative value for an option.
Old 11/10/04, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

resale will be equal or higher on an auto because it is an extra option on the car. But are you asking for a relative value based on how much you paid for the auto? Like for example if you paid 5% more for an auto over a comparable manual will the trade in be 5% or more? well i don't know that answer
Old 11/10/04, 11:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Originally posted by Lynx4Ben@November 10, 2004, 12:36 PM

Not already planning to sell, but just planning ahead...

This is the reason I am leaning toward the automatic....concerned that a daily driver shifter would get old really quick.

My Mustang club president bought an 04 Mach 1 with automatic earlier this year; and I know other guys with 65s and 66s with automatics and they race them.

An automatic will limit your buyers who want a stick; but will open up the field of potential buyers a lot. My wife refuses to learn to drive a stick; lots of guys and gals out there with that mindset.

I'm going with the automatic. There, I said it...
Old 11/10/04, 12:05 PM
V6 Member

Let me tell you. My brother and I both have 95 mustangs, his is exactly like mine except mine is a manual and his is auto. Before the 05 came along I asked him many times if he would like to exchange cars. Let me tell you, the shifting is fun but gets old pretty fast, you wish you had an automatic real soon, specially on those days that you have to go to work and you partied all night long and you feel like crap. All you want to do is get to work with the least effort to be able to pay your car loan.
Old 11/10/04, 12:06 PM

I have both an automatic (In my truck) and a stick (In my Jetta) I get sick of the automatic. To me driving a stick is so much more fun. Every time I get into a small car with an automatic I depress the Floorboard with my left foot by accident cause I feel that it should be a stick.

Thats just my opinion. My wife refuses to drive the Jetta cause she does not want to learn how.
Old 11/10/04, 12:07 PM

I think this falls under the same category as prenuptial agreements, planning for the end before the beginning. I say just buy what suits you the best, depending on how long you plan on keeping it, the difference in value will be negligible.
Old 11/10/04, 12:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Well, pre-nups have avoided big losses in their respective application.... B)

But you're right, the value differential will be negligible, especially if you keep it a long time.

The real key is availability of buyers...everyone can drive an automatic; stick shifters are limited....you broaden your resale pool of potential buyers with an automatic. Better chance to sell it, at whatever the value.

Years later, it's likely to be sold as a second car or to a kid going to school....more likely those buyers will need an auto not a manual.
Old 11/10/04, 12:34 PM
GT Member

you wont get tired of shifting
Old 11/10/04, 12:44 PM

Someone posted here before that shifting in the '05 is really sweet and easy, like 2nd and 3rd are real broad and there isn't much shifting needed like in a VVT Honda for example.

Anyone else wanna chime in on this?
Old 11/10/04, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by maucoin65@November 10, 2004, 12:58 PM
A wise decision. Shifting is fun for a day, next day it gets old and the third day it gets bloody annoying :bang:
Old 11/10/04, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

There is nothing like the get up and go of a manual shift though. It is almost a crime to get an automatic on a GT. They were made to be sticks. Plus have you seen the T-bar for the shifter in an automatic? It looks terrible. I do all city driving in DC and it will sometimes be a pain in traffic, but I will suffer because I know somewhere there is an open road in my near future that will be calling for a quick heel toe when the light turns green...
Old 11/10/04, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Eric B+November 10, 2004, 1:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Eric B @ November 10, 2004, 1:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-maucoin65@November 10, 2004, 12:58 PM
A wise decision. Shifting is fun for a day, next day it gets old and the third day it gets bloody annoying :bang: [/b][/quote]
nah...shifting is ALWAYS fun, except for stop and go traffic!
Old 11/10/04, 12:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by drizztbob@November 10, 2004, 1:59 PM
There is nothing like the get up and go of a manual shift though. It is almost a crime to get an automatic on a GT. They were made to be sticks. Plus have you seen the T-bar for the shifter in an automatic? It looks terrible. I do all city driving in DC and it will sometimes be a pain in traffic, but I will suffer because I know somewhere there is an open road in my near future that will be calling for a quick heel toe when the light turns green...
I tend to disagree, I think it looks like something you would find in the cockpit of an f-15 fighter airplane.
Old 11/10/04, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not sure of the resale value of a manual versus automatic, but I know my dealer told me that dealers are getting more for manuals on ebay right now. Autos are generally going for msrp right now and this is coming from a guy who has 2 gts and both of them are automatics.

I'm not sure which would be better for selling it in th future. Most guys like sticks and I know of a lot (not all) women who would just prefer and auto. Some people don't want a sticks because they don't drive them and are afraid that they won't like them or because the drive in traffic all day. Some people don't want an auto because it's a mustang.

I guess I am going with a stick just because it seems like it's more fun and plus almost everyone insists that you must get a stick. I have always had automatics so it will be a bit of a change for me. But it's not a daily driver. I work out of home and I already have an f150 so this is my joy ride. So I'll be taking a chance and going for a stick. I hope I like it!

It comes down to this. Don't worry about the resale just buy and drive what you like.
Old 11/10/04, 02:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by drizztbob@November 10, 2004, 1:59 PM
I agree. I lived in DC with a 95 manual Mustang. During heavy traffic it was a little tiresome to shift in traffic. But I never got tired of it. I got stuck with an auto after that car and ever since I have missed driving manual. I look forward to shifting. My leg must miss it too. I still find it searchign for the clutch in my automatic car.

Couple more days and I will be shifting again.
Old 11/10/04, 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

With a stick I tend to get on it a hole lot more than I do an auto. Depends on the traffic you deal with daily. Stick can be a pain in traffic jams. Lots of fun just cruisin. The auto is for my wife to enjoy her car. I have the Cobra.
Old 11/10/04, 03:17 PM
Cobra Member

With a stick I tend to get on it a hole lot more than I do an auto. Depends on the traffic you deal with daily. Stick can be a pain in traffic jams. Lots of fun just cruisin. The auto is for my wife to enjoy her car. I have the Cobra. We both like the T handle Auto.

Quick Reply: Resale Value of Auto GT vs Manual