Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005-2009 Mustang
S197 Discussion & News

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10/18/11, 10:06 AM   #1

James (jay)

Replacing tie rod end

My 2006 GT needs a tie rod end on the driver's side. Will changing it neccesitate an alignment?
jay06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/11, 10:28 AM   #2
Cobra R Member

If you don't put it exactly how it was as far as turns on the rod/length, yes.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/11, 10:50 AM   #3

James (jay)

repacing tie rod end

I thought that you could replace without re-aligning by "counting" the threads when removing and replacing. I'm just unsure whether ALL replacement tie rod ends are exactly the same length. Of course, if they're not, counting threads won't work.
Brings me to the next question----What brand tie rod end was used as original equiptment? If I gotta buy the tie rod end anyway, if I know what brand is there now, I might as well buy the same brand. I probably have the best chance of that being the same length.

In any case, thanks for the reply.
jay06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/11, 11:09 AM   #4
I Have No Life

Glenn

I bet its a ford part.... I kid. When you remove the old one be sure not to move the tire. The old one should plug right in or you can measure and get yourself very close to where is is supose to be.
Hers 2010 lexus IS250 mine 06 legend lime GT, Shaftmasters alum drive shaft, under drive pulley's, Steeda sport springs, Koni strt S/S, JLT cai w/bama tunes, Hankook V12's 255/35 275/35/20" pinnacale wheels, BBK headers W/high flow BBK catted X-pipe, Pype's Violator Axle-Back. 3k oil change tires
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/11, 11:21 AM   #5
V6 Member

Andrew

Ya I replaced the tie rods on my 05 GT and as long as it's the same/stock/oem part the length should be the same. I just verified that they were the same length visually and they were. A trick I used instead of counting threads is to back off the jam nut on the tie rod just far enough to sandwich a credit card (or similar card) between the nut and the tie rod, so that when u put the new one on you just sandwich the card again (nut should have stayed in same position) and then remove the card and just tighten down the jam nut. Worked for me, but only when using oem replacement parts... I later installed steeda tie rod ends (bumpsteer kit) and since they're adjustable I got the length wrong and the card trick didn't work as well.
redpony05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/11, 6:18 PM   #6
Bullitt Member

I use home made toe plates to measure all my cars. Your car may be out of alignment & by trying to count threads etc, you are just putting it back to the wrong spec. Look at this pic & make something out of aluminum or wood & measure the front & rear to get your toe. Real easy & accurate.

http://www.saferacer.com/longacre-to...?productid=486

www.ZeroFuel.org

www.PerformanceCarSalvage.com

SOLD!! Cobra Vic #10 Of 18 Built - Pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59567047@N03/
slidejob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/11, 7:05 PM   #7
Cobra R Member

Why count threads? get a marker make a mark, get to that mark with the new rod end lol
overcomplication.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/11, 8:48 PM   #8
Shelby GT350 Member

Tim

Garage
I'd just mark/tape measure across the front/outside edges of the tires, get it back as close to that as you can, thats plenty close enough to drive it to the alignment shop...if the tie rod was worn at all, odds are the bushings have settled/compressed a bit too, etc...
I kick myself for not buying the alignment stuff at the auction where I got my lift - I just wanted the lift, but a couple trips to the alignment shop woulda paid for the alignment hardware I didnt bid on...DOH!
Old 10/18/11, 8:48 PM