Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Issue - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/10, 06:38 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Rear Shock Issue - suggestions?

Hey guys,

While I was changing my rotors I noticed my rear left shock leaked or was leaking. Sounds like I'll need to change it/them (rears)

What would you do and what is more cost effective.
I'm looking to only change the rears.(unless this is frowned upon)

- go with 2005-09 GT OEM
- go with 2010 GT OEM
- aftermarket (and if so, what brand that's cost low... = to stock or more wrt to ride)

Let me know what you think and what you'd go with.
Old 10/14/10, 06:42 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My left rear is doing the same thing. My current plan is to buy a set of 05-09 takeoff OEM's from newtakeoff.com. I had thought about buying aftermarket ones and going with something of a higher quality. I'm just worried that they will not work well with the stock front struts, I also don't want to kill the ride. It's rough enough with just the springs installed.
Old 10/14/10, 06:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07S197

My left rear is doing the same thing. My current plan is to buy a set of 05-09 takeoff OEM's from newtakeoff.com. I had thought about buying aftermarket ones and going with something of a higher quality. I'm just worried that they will not work well with the stock front struts, I also don't want to kill the ride. It's rough enough with just the springs installed.
Actually you will not find any aftermarket shocks with "higher quality" than the OEM parts. The aftermarket does not have to pass the stringent durability testing that Ford puts their parts through. If you are not "upgrading" to newer shocks/struts all around, and just drive your car on the street there is no reason not to just get OEM replacements. I've also found newtakeoff.com a good resource for those parts.
Old 10/14/10, 07:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have the means to do so I would highly recommend getting a set of Koni Str.t shocks. You can get all four for about $400 and they will make a much better ride than stock. You would notice the car settle down much better over bumps and the rear ended will stick better. It's not that hard to change them out with some manual spring compressors.
Old 10/14/10, 07:34 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

First, sorry Boomer for hijacking your thread...

Originally Posted by JScottGT
Actually you will not find any aftermarket shocks with "higher quality" than the OEM parts. The aftermarket does not have to pass the stringent durability testing that Ford puts their parts through. If you are not "upgrading" to newer shocks/struts all around, and just drive your car on the street there is no reason not to just get OEM replacements. I've also found newtakeoff.com a good resource for those parts.
Yeah I hear what your saying, I guess what I ment by "higher quality" was better dampering characterastics for a lowere car than what the OEM's offer. The only thing I have going for me is that I am using the P springs and only have 3/4" drop not the K's with +1" drop.

Originally Posted by ryan1112
If you have the means to do so I would highly recommend getting a set of Koni Str.t shocks. You can get all four for about $400 and they will make a much better ride than stock. You would notice the car settle down much better over bumps and the rear ended will stick better. It's not that hard to change them out with some manual spring compressors.
This would be ideal for me but with the way things are going the $$ is just not in the cards for me right now.
Old 10/14/10, 07:57 AM
Cobra Member

That's insane. Would you say the same about your 'high quality' OEM speakers? What about your 'high quality' OEM tires? Thinking there's not something better out there made for a designed-for-the-bottom-line $25,000 car is stupid. Now if you're talking about replacing Porsche or Ferrari OEM pieces, you might have a point. But this is a Mustang, the entire car is cheaply built.

Koni, Bilstein, even Monroe or KYB are all better quality than the stock crap Ford puts on there. The OEM shocks are the worse thing about the car. Taking off the brand new struts/shocks and replacing them with much better quality aftermarket units is a good idea; at the mileage he's talking about with worn out shocks, it would be stupid not to. The ride improvement, espeically if lowered, will be amazing.

Get these:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5

Or these:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5

But just as a warning, you will want to do the fronts pretty soon after as well.

Oh, and no spring compressor needed for the rear, just the right sockets/wrenches, a jack and stands.

Last edited by CO_VaporGT_09; 10/15/10 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10/14/10, 09:20 AM
I Have No Life

Any drawback/issue with just replacing the rears with an aftermarket set?

I'm replacing for repair first and formost, so i don't want to spend money I don't need to on fronts.
Old 10/14/10, 10:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
don't know how much the stockers go for but heres a set for 60 bucks delivered. Otherwise I would go with whats in the second link. You can get a whole set for around 350 I think
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...Q5fAccessories
Old 10/14/10, 10:19 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Originally Posted by Boomer
Any drawback/issue with just replacing the rears with an aftermarket set?

I'm replacing for repair first and formost, so i don't want to spend money I don't need to on fronts.
Yeah, this is the same question I have.

For example these are avaliable from Roush. Is it worth spending the money for them or is it silly to put them on a car that has stock struts up front.

Should I just go to the local Advance Auto Parts and pick up a set of these?

or

Lastly should I be using the OEM's from newtakeoff.com

On a side note what is the difference between the stock shocks for the coupe compaired to the vert?
Old 10/14/10, 12:08 PM
FR500 Member

In the absence of definitive info about the valving that's used in the various units, I would avoid mixing shocks between the front and the rear. Otherwise you could find yourself getting into 'interesting' situations on the road.

That said, it's probably not likely that you are going to find softer shocks than the OEM 05-09 units (assuming you're not looking at aftermarket 'stock replacement' units). As such, it's not too likely you're going to get more oversteer in a bumpy corner with a mismatched set.
Old 10/14/10, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ryan1112
Quoted for truth (and he'd know... he has a set of Koni STR.T's he got from me). If you want rears only, you can do that. They are $75 each. I have them, as well as full sets, which are more recommended since it's unlikely you've somehow left half the car home when you drive it, in stock.
Old 10/14/10, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
That's insane. Would you say the same about your 'high quality' OEM speakers? What about your 'high quality' OEM tires? Thinking there's not something better out there made for a designed-for-the-bottom-line $25,000 car is stupid. Now if you're talking about replacing Porsche or Ferrari OEM pieces, you might have a point. But this is a Mustang, the entire car is cheaply built.

Koni, Bilstein, even Monroe or KYB are all better quality than the stock crap Ford puts on there. The OEM shocks are the worse thing about the car. Taking off the brand new struts/shocks and replacing them with much better quality aftermarket units is a good idea; at the mileage he's talking about with worn out shocks, it would be stupid not to. The ride improvement, espeically if lowered, will be amazing.

Get these:

Or these:

Speaking as a forum sponsor now, I'd certainly appreciate it if you are looking to get such items that you consider my shop for them. I have Bilstein and Koni both (as well as Tokico and a few others that Tire Rack does not).

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=64&ModelID=5
Old 10/15/10, 07:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
Speaking as a forum sponsor now, I'd certainly appreciate it if you are looking to get such items that you consider my shop for them. I have Bilstein and Koni both (as well as Tokico and a few others that Tire Rack does not).

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=64&ModelID=5
Quite right, Sam, I wasn't thinking. Changed my links. Sorry about that.

By the way, that Fays2 Watts rocks! So much smoother, so much more controllable in the twisties.

For the OP, my guess is if you replace the rears and realize the ride quality difference, you'll want to replace the fronts when funds allow. Unless you're driving quite hard it shouldn't be dangerous to have the mismatched set, though, unless the front shocks are also worn out -- how many miles on the car at this point? It might be time to replace them as well simply for maintenance issues.

Last edited by CO_VaporGT_09; 10/15/10 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10/15/10, 07:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would HIGHLY recommend giving Sam a call. Even if you don't race the car he will be able to get you the best parts for what you need.
Lets just put it like this, after I got the shocks the ride on the street was much better and I started being competitive at the track. With Sams help and some practice I started winning.
I don't want to push you to spend money that you don't have but shocks are about the only mod that will make the car handle better AND make the ride more comfortable.
Old 10/15/10, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09

I think you misunderstood my intent. Don't confuse quality with performance. Quality means that the shock is designed to withstand the equivalent of 150k miles and still perform like new if everything is left stock. When you upgrade to a stiffer/lower spring, you take the shocks outside their intended performance range. In that case, I will always recommend going to a shock with the valving to match the spring rate. But I would still contend that the aftermarket "upgraded" shocks/struts fall outside of the quality metric that Ford uses when it comes to durability. BTW, the "crap" stock shocks are manufactured for Ford by Tokico.
Old 10/15/10, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

I think you misunderstood my intent. Don't confuse quality with performance. Quality means that the shock is designed to withstand the equivalent of 150k miles and still perform like new if everything is left stock. When you upgrade to a stiffer/lower spring, you take the shocks outside their intended performance range. In that case, I will always recommend going to a shock with the valving to match the spring rate. But I would still contend that the aftermarket "upgraded" shocks/struts fall outside of the quality metric that Ford uses when it comes to durability. BTW, the "crap" stock shocks are manufactured for Ford by Tokico.
Exactly, Tokico are crap (got mine only cause Koni wasn't available at the time, and regretted it ever since, waiting to go the coil-over route, myself.).
Numerous reports of the OEM leaking after 50k miles, definitely not 150k mile shocks. And I'm more than willing to wager that the aftermarket Tokico shocks are better quality than the OEM ones, though many reports of the aftermarket Tokico leaking as well (and their customer service is crap as well).

Bilstein and Koni (made in Germany and the Netherlands, I believe, not China) are undeniably better quality (and performance) than Tokico, especially any OEM Tokico. Remember, these cars are built to a price-point, not a quality or performance point. Even if the car isn't lowered the Koni or Bilstein is a good idea, even more-so if lowered.

I would say that the Ford/Tokico OEM are a safer bet than the average AutoZone/Checker whatever local parts store fare, but in no way better than the higher-priced and higher quality aftermarket units the OP can get.

And FWIW, I'd do bilstein or koni over Roush any day. Roush doesn't make them, just adds one more middle man.
Old 10/15/10, 09:12 AM
GT Member

I think you misunderstood my intent. Don't confuse quality with performance. Quality means that the shock is designed to withstand the equivalent of 150k miles and still perform like new if everything is left stock....
I'm still confused. Where do you get this "150K miles" standard? The stock shocks are only guaranteed to work correctly (IE: not leak) for the length of the vehicle warranty, not 150K miles. Everything on the car (or any other mass-produced car) is designed/priced/built with that in mind. Anything extra (that costs more) removes profit from the car.
Old 10/15/10, 11:23 AM
I Have No Life

Sam, email sent to ya.
Old 10/15/10, 12:05 PM
I Have No Life

Looks like I'm going with some Koni STR.T's...

Had to look for a Canadian supplier.
Sam sorry this didn't work out. Would have costed too much for customs/shipping.
I appreciate your advice, as well as the others on here.
Old 10/15/10, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Looks like I'm going with some Koni STR.T's...

Had to look for a Canadian supplier.
Sam sorry this didn't work out. Would have costed too much for customs/shipping.
I appreciate your advice, as well as the others on here.
I understand... Getting them there can be tough. Thank you for asking, and you will be a lot happier than old worn stock shocks, or new stock shocks, or new junk shocks.

Quick Reply: Rear Shock Issue - suggestions?