Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which one will be the most collectible?

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/05, 10:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of 31 flavors- Vanilla

And about value. Buy what you want now, YOUR favorite color. Not what will be important for selling in 25 years.
Old 1/2/05, 10:31 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

maucoin has a point.

My 99 GT was about as common as a cold. BUT, there were 3 people who were offering me top dollar for it when it came time to sell it. There was nothing special about it, but these people were looking for a 99 GT exactly like mine. Its really just what someone is willing to pay to get what they want. Now, I didnt make a bunch of money, and it certainly didnt fetch A LOT of money. But it brought more than expected!

A family friend deals in antiques, she makes most of her money on hard to find items, wheher or not they are ugly.

I agree that the only way to know is to wait and see.
Old 1/2/05, 10:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Originally posted by Badandy@January 2, 2005, 11:32 PM
Speaking of 31 flavors- Vanilla

And about value. Buy what you want now, YOUR favorite color. Not what will be important for selling in 25 years.
Bingo !! Now you're cooking with gas.

VERY few of us will still own these 2005s in 2030. Some will, but not many at all.

Get what you want now and be happy with it.

I'm all for planning for the future, but don't miss life's joys today while you look ahead to the days when you will look back on "the good old days" (i.e., today).

Time is yesterday's cashed check, and tomorrow's promissory note. We only have today to actually spend it.

So spend / invest your time wisely, today.

Get the color you like now.
Old 1/2/05, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@January 2, 2005, 11:34 PM
maucoin has a point.

My 99 GT was about as common as a cold. BUT, there were 3 people who were offering me top dollar for it when it came time to sell it. There was nothing special about it, but these people were looking for a 99 GT exactly like mine. Its really just what someone is willing to pay to get what they want. Now, I didnt make a bunch of money, and it certainly didnt fetch A LOT of money. But it brought more than expected!

A family friend deals in antiques, she makes most of her money on hard to find items, wheher or not they are ugly.

I agree that the only way to know is to wait and see.
Thanks, JR. I appreciate the encouragement.

I've never understood antiques...except cars, of course.
Old 1/2/05, 10:50 PM
V6 Member

but look at some of the most expensive accross the board mustangs, GT 350, GT 500 mostly white
Old 1/2/05, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Daniel_Cline@January 2, 2005, 11:53 PM
but look at some of the most expensive accross the board mustangs, GT 350, GT 500 mostly white
That's probably more to do with the historical significance of these low production, special edition, (desirable) high performance cars that happened to originally be painted white.

Shelbys are in a class by themselves, separate and apart from other vintage Mustangs, whatever their color.
Old 1/2/05, 10:57 PM
V6 Member

true definatly true

i just think in todays days red and black are just too.....already done, i know there are lots of many colors on the road, but why do sports car always have to be red or black, and i think thats gona be reflected in value
Old 1/2/05, 11:03 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Daniel red, black and yellow have just always been classic sports car colors. I grew up with a stock race car driving mom, who owned a yellow camaro.

I still am not used to seeing trucks, or economy cars in those three colors. They look out of place to me.

I bought black because it is the best base color for the custom paint job I am getting.
Old 1/2/05, 11:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Im watching barrett jackson ( http://www.barrett-jackson.com/ ) replay from 2004 and seems to me that the most valued cars are the ones with the most options and the most power and also the best condition with the lowest miles.Color rareness doesn't seem to matter at all (lots of black cars selling for hugh dollars) this being said here is my pick...

Us model (not sure why not rare canadain models but just seems that way)
Black (people just love black cars...blame old man ford lol)
GT (power power power)
Premium (top line)
Dark Charcoal w/Red Interior Color Accent (red accent has just that added extra)
Interior Upgrade Package (goes without saying)
All options: (more more more $$$)
Wheel Locking Kits
Active Anti-Theft System
Front Seat Side-Mounted Air Bags
5R55S 5-Speed Automatic Transmission (seems at barrett autos go for more)
17" Bright Machined Cast Aluminum Wheels
Shaker 1000 Audio System - AM/FM Stereo w/In-Dash CDx6, MP3 & 10-Audiophile Speakers
No Spoiler Delete Option (think added spoiler will add value latter)
---now place is warm well ventilated garage,put on jack stands (dont want to flat spot tires) remove all fluids (they will corrode medals over time) cover with good car cover and go get a thirty year coffee---
Old 1/3/05, 12:11 AM
Bullitt Member

The most luxurious car is not always the most valued of it's type. Look at the XK120. The spartan roadster fetchs noticably more money at auction than the higher-end Drophead Coupe. Of course, being a British Sports Car there are lots of reasons why this might not apply to the 2005 Mustang. And I won't even get into things like changing trends, if anyone else want's to predict shifts in the classic car market for the next 25 or so years, feel free. I, however, am not Nostradamus.
Old 1/3/05, 12:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by maucoin65@January 2, 2005, 11:15 PM
Of course, folks, we can debate this until the cows come home, or for another 25 years, whichever happens first; so why don't we just wait and see how it turns out??

It's fun to speculate, but only time will tell.
Yeah plus this thread will be a little long by then. Lets just see what happens
Old 1/3/05, 01:41 AM
Cobra R Member

My opinion is a Torch Red (1 year color) with Red Interior and the full IUP with My Color will be sought after years from now. Jay Leno got this same color combo......and I think he knows his car collecting hobby as well as anyone.
Old 1/3/05, 05:16 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@January 3, 2005, 12:06 AM
Daniel red, black and yellow have just always been classic still am not used to seeing trucks, or economy cars in those three colors. They look out of place to me.
Not sure if I agree with that, I think half of the Jeep Cherokees ever made were red, almost every time I see one it's a red one. And black is common on every type of vehicle, not just sports cars. Yellow is mostly on sports cars but at least here in Florida I think there are more yellow SUV's then yellow sports cars.
Old 1/3/05, 07:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

The most collectable cars historically have all the bells and whistles from the factory. (as they say "nicely appointed") They are in show room condition and are all original. (no major mods) Low mileage and are limited numbers available.
So the 05 will not become a serious high value collectable for years and it will have to meet the above criteria. What also improves the collecter value is saving all the paper work..ie. window stickers, owners manual etc. Have you ever watched the Barrett Jackson auctions?
Old 1/3/05, 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by icemant180@January 3, 2005, 6:10 AM
The most collectable cars historically have all the bells and whistles from the factory. (as they say "nicely appointed") They are in show room condition and are all original. (no major mods) Low mileage and are limited numbers available.
So the 05 will not become a serious high value collectable for years and it will have to meet the above criteria. What also improves the collecter value is saving all the paper work..ie. window stickers, owners manual etc. Have you ever watched the Barrett Jackson auctions?
icemant180-

I reiterate, there have been essentially ZERO high volume cars that have been manufactured since the mid 70's that have appreciated in value faster than inflation.

Everyone-

Buy what you want to own and drive. The only thing you should be possibly altering is for resale value if you plan on selling your car in a few years.

You won't make money on modifications.
You won't make money on the car at resale.

The ~only~ reason that the late 60's cars had a good value in the 80's, less than 15 years after their demise, was that the cars of the late 70's and into the 80's were pathetic, mostly worthless (there are some noteable acceptions). So people revered the old muscle cars. But MOST of the cars, the ones produced in large numbers, didn't keep up with any other form of investment, such as the stock market, or even just putting your money in a savings account.

And just being RARE doesn't fully mean that it is worth more. The family of car must be desireable too. I'm sure if there is a perfect AMC Gremlin out there that was 1-of-13 built with a particular racing stripe, it is worth exactly 20% of it's original cost (adjusted for inflation) and it carries a $42 premium over the non-striped version.

Mopar hemi's are so valueable because their non-hemi versions are popular and getting rarer by the day as rust eats the remaining survivors. The killer is that hardly anyone opted to pay the extra $700-1000 for a 426 Hemi over the more streetable 440.
Old 1/3/05, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not all of these always apply, but in the classic Mustang world of today the value of a car is driven by these:

High Performance

Low Production

Unmolested Originals

Condition (rust!)

Factory Options

Color? I think that some colors are more desireable and will drive some buyers to spend more but in the big picture, not that much of a factor. So my guess on the highest valued future collectible?

Any loaded GT that looks like it did the day it rolled out the front door at Flat Rock. This is not a slam on the V6s. They will also be very collectible but on the lower end of the dollar scale. Just my opinion, worth no more or less than any other! B)
Old 1/3/05, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

The V6 Deluxe (not premium so no leather) with IUP and Manual Trans- Any color

As this was only possible to order for a very short time......

That would be my bet on the model that will hold its value the most or appreciate the most in the future.
Old 1/3/05, 11:35 AM
V6 Member

Unless the production is under 50 vehicles, original color will not significantly increase value. Since these modern cars are mass produced with very few options as compared to the 60s, the ONLY thing that will make these cars valuable in the future is low mileage and originality. Mark my words, color and options will have very little bearing in collectibility
Old 1/3/05, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by r22tech@January 2, 2005, 7:26 PM
Simply put: The rarest combo. (most limited as far as production numbers) will ALWAYS fetch the most money, even if they don't posess the largest market of buyers in a collectible status. Using past to predict future, the v8 models will be the most desirable. Legend lime GT without ANY options and a spoiler delete might be the rarest to find and will fetch MORE money from LESS buyers, usually the sophistcated collector who wants what no one can find and will pay whatever to have it!
B) Ditto. Collectability years from now will be based on a matter of future availability and original quantity produced. Why do you think this weekend saw Boss 429 & Lime HEMI Cuda bringing well over 6 figures at the auctions ... because not many were made in this configuration; ergo they are now RARE!
Old 1/3/05, 11:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just out of curiousity, is there anyone actually buying an '05 and thinking as it as an investment?? I say buy what you want and take care of it. When the time comes to sell it and you make anything over book value, then you got lucky and made a few bucks.

Quick Reply: Which one will be the most collectible?