2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Which one will be the most collectible?

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/05, 09:02 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not because I'm waiting for it to come in or anything, but honestly from all the pictures i seen posted it think the rarest of collors will be the white GT with IUP and spoiler, I really havn't seen many, only three pics of diferent cars. I think there right the one that has the lowest production numbers will be worth the most, and in 20 yrs i think that will be the white model
Old 1/2/05, 09:15 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

White/ICAP/Spolier Delete/bullitts/IUP

IMO
Old 1/2/05, 09:23 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will bet it depends on what colors/options are offered in the future.

If this is the last we see of legend lime, it will be a very desireable color for those who want it.

Additionally, if something happens to the MyColor option, the cars with it will be highly desireable.
Old 1/2/05, 09:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@January 3, 2005, 4:18 AM
White/ICAP/Spolier Delete/bullitts/IUP

IMO
You can get the CAP with the White paint? That would be a rare car!
Old 1/2/05, 09:44 PM
Cobra Member

Most collectable/valueble doesn't mean the rarest color. Sometimes the rarest is the least desirable.

I now revise my original statement to say it without a doubt it will be red with black interior or black on black. I go to car auctions very often, and people always say how much more desirable people say the car up for auction would be with black on red or black.
Old 1/2/05, 09:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Badandy@January 3, 2005, 4:47 AM
Most collectable/valueble doesn't mean the rarest color. Sometimes the rarest is the least desirable.

I agree, which is why I said I think that Black with ICAP will be the most expensive even though it is popular now.
Old 1/2/05, 09:57 PM
Cobra Member

Correct, I think that is what people are misinterpreting.

These are mine in order that will be the most collectable.

-Torch Red with Dark Charcoal
-Black on Dark Charcoal
-Black with ICAP
Old 1/2/05, 09:59 PM
Bullitt Member

my bet is a V6 manual with IUP and side airbags. since it was only possible for a week.
Old 1/2/05, 10:02 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Actually... isnt rare synonymous with collectible items? I agree it may not be the most desirable, but I do think that rare definitely is collectible.
Old 1/2/05, 10:06 PM
Cobra Member

I guess, but when I think of collectable I think of how much it will fetch at an option with a given color combo.

OSUstangfan-That is not true. They are made for more than one week. One of my friends is getting a V6 manual with IUP and Side Airbags with a builddate of 1/17.

And just for the record, even though I think the V6 is a great car, 20-25 years down the line, the GT will demand (and get) MUCH more on sales.
Old 1/2/05, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't you guys mean "Which one will you lose the least money on in 25 years?"

There has been no high volume automobile made since the mid 70's that has gone up significantly in value.

If you had put your money into the NYSE in 1965 instead of putting into a Mustang, you would have made more money. $3000 in 1965, adjusted for inflation (which the stock market has beat) is around $20,000.
Old 1/2/05, 10:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Originally posted by OSUstangfan@January 2, 2005, 11:02 PM
my bet is a V6 manual with IUP and side airbags. since it was only possible for a week.
DING DING DING !! We have a winner....this guy understands the classic car market.

Read the articles in Mustang Monthly and Mustang Times, and you'll quickly see the pattern forming that the rarer the options on the car, something to make it stand out as unique in its day, carries over to keep it unique, and therefore desirable and valuable, in the future. INcluding uniquely optioned V6s.

Besides, a red Mustang is sooooo cliche (everyone and his uncle has one); followed shortly by black and (historically) white.

Any of the other colors should fetch more interest and $$$ in the future.

One man's opinion....
Old 1/2/05, 10:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Collectiblity is based on first, amazing number achieved, last or rarity. Amazing numbers is 1,000,000 in the first year. First is first. Last is last.

It then comes down to rarity. Rarity is based on options. With everything standard, rarity is not going to be all that easy to achieve. V6 and GT both will have IUP, ISAP or stock interior cars. Deluxe/Premium. Leather/cloth. Manual/Auto. Stock/500/1000 radios. Stock/upgrade wheels. Spoiler/not. AntiLock/Traction, ICAP, Wheel Locks, Seat, Active AntiTheft, are options at some point. And then colors. Pretty much it I think. And any of these combos aren't going to be all *that* rare, due to their being pre-ordered for the most part.

I don't really think anything other than a rare color combo, say the Legend Lime with the tan cloth GT, (bad guess?) would even make the collector charts. No, rarity isn't going to happen until something like a "rare" run of cars, say 200 Mach 1s? And by that token, does anyone consider the Mystic/Mystichrome Cobras rare? The only ones to me would be the Mystic Hardtops, and I don't even know if there were any.

What would be rare and collectible one day is a stock radio, stock wheeled, no-A/C, hand crank windowed, no power locks 2005 GT with Leather and Automatic, but nothing else. Why? Who'd get Leather and Auto but nothing else?!? But there aren't gonna be any.

My pick, should it come to be, for most collectible, is a V6 Manual IUP with MyColor. Because if it should come to pass that the IUP and/or MyColor is no longer available for whatever reason, and the V6 Manual was late to the game, that's going to be the rarest combo from the factory.

But if the IUP and MyColor don't stop overall, then it's a color combo and/or cloth vs leather, and that's just a numbers game, isn't it?

Tick tick tick tick...

Edit: Ah, I see my diatribing again has placed me in second. WTG OSUstangfan! Simple is best...
Old 1/2/05, 10:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by maucoin65@January 2, 2005, 9:10 PM

Besides, a red Mustang is sooooo cliche (everyone and his uncle has one); followed shortly by black and (historically) white.

no. I don't want to sound rude, but that just isn't right. The other colors will not fetch more interest. You can call red on a mustang cliche, but the simple fact is that it fetches the most money at auctions.

Look at Ferraris. I knwo the Mustang isnt a ferrari, but when you look at them at auctions the most valuable colors are silver, black, and ferrari red, those are far from the rarest colors. Sure, there are some extremely rare colors (where they made EXTREMELY limited quantities) that get a lot of money.
Old 1/2/05, 10:12 PM

Of course, folks, we can debate this until the cows come home, or for another 25 years, whichever happens first; so why don't we just wait and see how it turns out??

It's fun to speculate, but only time will tell.
Old 1/2/05, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Badandy+January 2, 2005, 11:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Badandy @ January 2, 2005, 11:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-maucoin65@January 2, 2005, 9:10 PM

no. I don't want to sound rude, but that just isn't right. The other colors will not fetch more interest. You can call red on a mustang cliche, but the simple fact is that it fetches the most money at auctions.

Look at Ferraris. I knwo the Mustang isnt a ferrari, but when you look at them at auctions the most valuable colors are silver, black, and ferrari red, those are far from the rarest colors. Sure, there are some extremely rare colors (where they made EXTREMELY limited quantities) that get a lot of money. [/b][/quote]
Calm down, Badandy, that wasn't meant as an attack on you or anyone else.

My "cliche" comment was based upon remarks heard time and time again at car shows (local, regional and national), and cruise nights. The "grass roots" level.

I know what you're thinking, that cash is exchanged at auctions not at car shows (generally). But the value at auctions starts at the grass roots level, which is at the places noted above.

You get more "oohs" and "ahhs" with the "off" colors than with the "typical" colors.

Are we talking "collectibility", or value? Those may or may not be the same thing.

The bottom line: it's in the eye of the beholder. You only need one buyer looking for YOUR car, whether at auction or a car show.

Again, stay tuned for a couple of decades, and we'll know.

Still friends??
Old 1/2/05, 10:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Badandy+January 2, 2005, 11:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Badandy @ January 2, 2005, 11:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-maucoin65@January 2, 2005, 9:10 PM

Look at Ferraris. I knwo the Mustang isnt a ferrari, but when you look at them at auctions the most valuable colors are silver, black, and ferrari red, those are far from the rarest colors. Sure, there are some extremely rare colors (where they made EXTREMELY limited quantities) that get a lot of money. [/b][/quote]
I always liked Ferraris in yellow. That's just me, I just hate the color red on an automobile. Just my opinion though. Probably just the fact it is so overdone.
Old 1/2/05, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by M1Rifle@January 2, 2005, 11:10 PM
Don't you guys mean "Which one will you lose the least money on in 25 years?"

There has been no high volume automobile made since the mid 70's that has gone up significantly in value.

This is very true. What makes the original Mustangs "classic" are their originality and historical significance.

Not sure if the 2005 will ever meet that criteria, in spite of this being the first truly "new" Mustang (which is the best thing going for it in the future market).
Old 1/2/05, 10:21 PM
Cobra Member

and yellow.
macoin-my bad. hard to convey emotion over the net. Should have put emoticons. I wasn't worked up at all, just stating my opinion and stuff. <-------see, I''m learning.
Old 1/2/05, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Badandy@January 2, 2005, 11:24 PM
and yellow.
macoin-my bad. hard to convey emotion over the net. Should have put emoticons. I wasn't worked up at all, just stating my opinion and stuff. <-------see, I''m learning.
Yeah, that's a big problem with internet and email stuff--can't convey emotions or lack thereof, so you can easily be misconstrued.

Just talking to you, not picking, fussing or certainly not fighting or criticizing you or anyone.

This is certainly one of the more subjective issues (like 31 flavors, or "one man's hamburger is another man's steak...").

Eye of the beholder. And value only becomes important when selling, which is in 25 years, not next week.

Quick Reply: Which one will be the most collectible?