2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Manual owners: Autolock can it be done?

Old 9/9/07, 02:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Manual owners: Autolock can it be done?

Looking through the workshop manual it states the following for the autolock feature:
The autolocking function causes the vehicle to automatically lock all the doors when the following conditions are all concurrently met during the current key cycle:
  • all doors are closed
  • autolocking function is active
  • key in ON position
  • brake pedal is applied and vehicle speed is less than 5 km/h (3 mph)
  • vehicle speed exceeds 5 km/h (3 mph)
Relock occurs after a door is opened, the brake pedal is applied while the vehicle speed is less than 5 km/h (3 mph), all the doors are closed again, and the vehicle speed increases to 5 km/h (3 mph) or greater.
Considering a manual car should be able to meet these conditions I followed the following instructions to enable/disable autolock

Autolock and Horn Chirp Programming
  1. Electronically unlock the vehicle using the remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitter or the power lock control switch.
  2. Close all doors.
  3. Confirm the key is in the OFF position.
  4. Turn the key from OFF to ON.
  5. NOTE: Steps 4 through 8 must be carried out within 30 seconds.
    Press the door lock control switch UNLOCK button 3 times.
  6. Turn the key from ON to OFF.
  7. Press the door lock control switch UNLOCK button 3 times.
  8. Turn the key from OFF to ON.
  9. Verify that the horn chirps. This indicates the system is in the enable/disable mode and is ready to accept program changes.
  10. Press the door lock control switch UNLOCK then LOCK button once to toggle the autolock/relock feature OFF.
  11. Verify that the horn chirps 1 time. There should be only 1 chirp indicating that autolock/relock feature is disabled. If 1 chirp is heard, followed by a longer sound of the horn, the autolock/relock feature is enabled. Return to Step 9.
  12. Turn the key to the OFF position to exit the enable/disable mode.
  13. Verify that the horn chirps once to indicate that a feature has been changed.
With this done I get the required chirps as stated above to indicate it is on but it does not seem to function. Does anyone else know if there is something else the car looks for? I know my brake sensor is working because I can set the cruise and apply the brake without the clutch and cruise shuts off. I know my VSS is working since this feature works on my stereo. The manual doesn't state this is for automatics only.

-Deric
Old 9/9/07, 02:35 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
The autolock and the appropriate alarm configuration are turned on at the factory on vehicles with automatic transmissions. Vehicles with manual transmissions have the autolock turned off at the factory.
I don't really know if that answers anything for sure.
Old 9/9/07, 07:27 PM
Cobra Member

Those are the same instructions I posted but my car gives the appropriate honks to show it is active. Unless deactivating it at the factory is different than what's stated I don't know why we couldn't utilize it since all the components used are on the manual and automatic.

-Deric

Originally Posted by karman
The autolock and the appropriate alarm configuration are turned on at the factory on vehicles with automatic transmissions. Vehicles with manual transmissions have the autolock turned off at the factory.
I don't really know if that answers anything for sure.
Old 9/9/07, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an auto, it works great!
Old 9/9/07, 09:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Deric
...The manual doesn't state this is for automatics only.

-Deric
Uh, actually it does state this.
Id love to be able to have this option.
Attached Thumbnails Manual owners:  Autolock can it be done?-autolock.jpg  
Old 9/10/07, 02:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Uh, actually it does state this.
Id love to be able to have this option.
I should have checked the owners manual as well instead of just the shop manual. Dang it Ford!

-Deric
Old 9/10/07, 05:49 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Thats really stupid.
Old 9/10/07, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2001 stick shift focus would autolock. I can't see any reason why Ford couldn't do this in a stick shift Mustang.
Old 9/10/07, 04:23 PM
GT Member

I think we should keep persuing this...would be a wonderful feature to activate. Then again, the global windows would have been great too but that didn't end so less if i remember correctly.
Old 9/10/07, 05:06 PM
Cobra Member

In my F150 which is an automatic, the auto lock feature locks the doors if you put the gear selector Drive or Reverse and let your foot off the brake.

I wonder if the manual trans Mustangs don't have the autolock feature because there isn't a sure way to tell if the car is stopped or moving , unlike the automatic trans where it knows you aren't moving if the shifter is in "Park". What triggers the manual trans Focus with the auto lock function to work?
Old 9/10/07, 07:25 PM
Cobra Member

If that is the case you could connect the wire to the parking brake. That way the circuit would open or close (which ever one is needed) when you release the brake. Does anyone know? I thought the wiring for the auto was present on the manual cars.

-Deric

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
In my F150 which is an automatic, the auto lock feature locks the doors if you put the gear selector Drive or Reverse and let your foot off the brake.

I wonder if the manual trans Mustangs don't have the autolock feature because there isn't a sure way to tell if the car is stopped or moving , unlike the automatic trans where it knows you aren't moving if the shifter is in "Park". What triggers the manual trans Focus with the auto lock function to work?
Old 9/10/07, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

My 01 GT manual convertible had AutoLok... I could do without it.........But it would be nice if the NEW Mustangs had the ability to do it.......
Old 9/10/07, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

That's lame. My 01 Jetta is a stick and it auto locks the doors once I hit 5 mph. It's prolly just a perk Ford adds to the pricey automatic trans option to make you feel better.
Old 9/11/07, 12:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Anything can be done if you have the testicular fortitude, I just ordered my factory service manual so I cant say for sure.

Assuming that the wiring for the autolock feature is present, all you have to do is bust out your wiring diagram and figure out what wire activates the feature in a automatic transmission, and what initiates it(power going off or power going on) then you cut that wire and splice it in somewhere else, like suggested the parking brake just depends on how its activated.
Old 9/11/07, 06:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Vermillion06

It was entirely based on speed. It didn't matter what gear i was in, what direction i was heading or if i was in neutral. Once I hit 5 mph (give or take) the doors would lock.
Old 9/11/07, 07:04 PM
Cobra Member

I looked all through the shop manual for the mustang and cannot find a wire or signal used on the automatic for gear selection. Today I picked up my son from school before he got to the car I tried programming it again and as we started to take off the doors locked. I was like yeah the doors locked and my son replies "Yeah that's what happens when you push this button". Nothing like your 7 year old son pulling a fast one on you. LOL
Old 9/18/07, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

you know, I just realized today I have a auto lock feature, I never personally activated it, and the car came with a noise making alarm. but when I start my car, the doors auto lock.
dont know if its because of the after market alarm, but if it is thats a route you can go.

also, if you still feel like playing around and its not because of the alarm heres a few things I noticed.

only does it when the car is first started

wont do it if you start the car before closing the doors.
Old 9/18/07, 05:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MustangRetribution
you know, I just realized today I have a auto lock feature, I never personally activated it, and the car came with a noise making alarm. but when I start my car, the doors auto lock.
dont know if its because of the after market alarm, but if it is thats a route you can go.

also, if you still feel like playing around and its not because of the alarm heres a few things I noticed.

only does it when the car is first started

wont do it if you start the car before closing the doors.
I think the obvious question is do you have an automatic or manual? and i wonder if this is somehow related to how the 05 owners can also activate Global Windows as well. Are you saying you are able to do this (have this option) becuase you also have Active Anti Theft?
Old 9/18/07, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

sorry, 5spd, and yes I have a "active" aka useless alarm, the kind that honks your horn and flashes your lights and comes with a bright blue LED letting everyone know your lame(I bought the car used and to lazy to remove it)

since I dont know anything about the alarm it may or may not be responsible for my autolock
Old 9/18/07, 06:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
the alarm works meh ok and there are differnt parameters for its use ie : I have a convertable with top down windows up if the door is opened lots noise , with top up window down & you walk to close lots of noise windows up you gotta hurt it to get a chirp,well unless you are on a Ferry or boat ith it if you lock with fob the anti tow will constantly go off & you will surley get keyed, But if you only lock the door with the key it disables the anti tow but leaves the inside motion /doors all in tact.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual owners: Autolock can it be done?