2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I'm buying a 2006 GT. So I wanted to ask.

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/17, 08:48 AM
GT Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
For a married man few things are as challenging as making your bride understand why you have 4, 8, or maybe 12 wheels stored. My wife said once "I thought you only needed one spare."
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (1/14/17)
Old 1/14/17, 12:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Straw
For a married man few things are as challenging as making your bride understand why you have 4, 8, or maybe 12 wheels stored. My wife said once "I thought you only needed one spare."
They can be so cute with their questions, and comments at times.
Old 1/14/17, 02:57 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,956 Likes on 1,584 Posts
This ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 1/15/17, 10:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Forgestar offers most of their wheels in 18s. I'd rock some 18x9.5 F14s for sure!
better yet 18x10 squared

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
If I had know about these sooner, I'd be rockin some 18x9.5 Niche Apex M125's lol. http://www.nicheroadwheels.com/apex-m125-w-8791.htm
those look like they might not clear big brakes?
Old 1/15/17, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
better yet 18x10 squared

those look like they might not clear big brakes?
You might be right about that, but here's what I don't understand, according to stage3motorsports, it mentions in their description will not fit GT500 models or Mustangs with front Brembo brake packages..

What doesn't make sense, is why they wouldn't fit with larger brake packages in the front, but yet they'll fit in the rear.. You would think if they all have the same size dimensions, they would clear both front and rear

At any rate, you could look into adding spacers for clearance.. Otherwise your more than likely better off going with 18x10's for a square setup, depending on the offset..

Specs taken from stage 3 motorsports:

Wheel Size: 18x9.5"
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3mm
Finish: Silver Machined
Rating: 1600 lbs.
Offset: +40 mm
Bore: 72.60
Fitment:

2005-2014 Mustang GT/V6 - Front & Rear.
Will NOT fit GT500 models or Mustangs with front Brembo Brake packages.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com//M1...25-Silver.html

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/15/17 at 02:16 PM.
Old 1/15/17, 03:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I got her in the sun today, and think I'll stick with these wheels for awhile. They're very good 20 footers right now.

Also, drove the old girl to Myrtle Beach, SC today (from the Charlotte area of NC), and she ran just fine with a very respectable 27.8 mpg. I knew I would enjoy this car, but didn't realize how much.
Old 1/16/17, 08:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

yes this is a small tangent and it sounds like wanted33 is all set for now, but:

You might be right about that, but here's what I don't understand, according to stage3motorsports, it mentions in their description will not fit GT500 models or Mustangs with front Brembo brake packages..

What doesn't make sense, is why they wouldn't fit with larger brake packages in the front, but yet they'll fit in the rear.. You would think if they all have the same size dimensions, they would clear both front and rear . . .
It's because the front brakes are bigger, in particular the calipers which stick out more (sideways) on the front. On some designs the wheel will clear the rotor on the diameter, but the calipers will hit the spokes. This happens on wheel designs where the spokes curl back inward; generally not a problem on wheels where the spokes are way out toward the edge of the wheel. That's how I could tell by looking at the picture that they might not clear.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (1/16/17)
Old 1/16/17, 04:18 PM

yes this is a small tangent and it sounds like wanted33 is all set for now, but:

It's because the front brakes are bigger, in particular the calipers which stick out more (sideways) on the front. On some designs the wheel will clear the rotor on the diameter, but the calipers will hit the spokes. This happens on wheel designs where the spokes curl back inward; generally not a problem on wheels where the spokes are way out toward the edge of the wheel. That's how I could tell by looking at the picture that they might not clear.
Once again your totally spot on, as I forgot about the front brakes being larger.. So I suppose if your looking for the 5 star concave wheel design in which the spokes curl back inward, make certain the spokes are out far enough towards the edge in order to provide enough clearance for the calipers..

However after reading over your post, I'm not so sure now if those Niche wheels would clear the front calipers even in a 18x10 with 40mm offset..

I do know that Gabe was running Niche Milans on his 2013 GT which have a similar design with the Niche Apex M125's and yet they cleared his front Brembo calipers with no issues, but he was also running them in 20x10's with 40mm offset and not in 18x9.5..

Perhaps I'm just better off sticking with my current 20x9.5 Spyder wheels in which the spokes do appear to be out far enough towards the edge in order to clear larger brake calipers
Old 1/18/17, 12:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I didn't need that tire anyway.

Just my luck. Driving on old Hwy 17, right down the Atlantic Ocean, beautiful day, windows down, and boom. Didn't see it, and busted a brand new tire beyond repair. Oh well, no one hurt, so that's a good thing. With the help of two fine strangers we got the spare on, and off to the tire store I go. Luckily the store I stopped at carried Falken tire's, and the new one should be in tomorrow. So much for the good deal I got on the tires. Life is good.
Old 1/18/17, 04:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
That sucks, been there myself, twice in a month and a half! Did your tires come with a protection plan or anything?
Old 1/18/17, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33
Just my luck. Driving on old Hwy 17, right down the Atlantic Ocean, beautiful day, windows down, and boom. Didn't see it, and busted a brand new tire beyond repair. Oh well, no one hurt, so that's a good thing. With the help of two fine strangers we got the spare on, and off to the tire store I go. Luckily the store I stopped at carried Falken tire's, and the new one should be in tomorrow. So much for the good deal I got on the tires. Life is good.
What's important is nobody got injured or worse, especially you.. So glad to know that your okay Jim

-Rocky
Old 1/19/17, 11:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

What's important is nobody got injured or worse, especially you.. So glad to know that your okay Jim

-Rocky
Thank you my friend. As we mature our priorities change. This was nothing in the big scheme of things. Just a blip, we take care of it, and enjoy the day that God hath made.

Originally Posted by Cavero
That sucks, been there myself, twice in a month and a half! Did your tires come with a protection plan or anything?
No protection plan. I was the one that said, ahh I won't need it on this car. Heck, I got it on all my other vehicles, and have never used it.

Last edited by wanted33; 1/19/17 at 11:18 AM.
Old 1/19/17, 01:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

another small tangent . . .

Have you guys noticed that these cars seem to be flat magnets?

Before I got this car, I can't remember the last time I had a flat tire.

But since I got this car, I have had about 4 or 5 flats in as many years. Every time it has been a nail or screw in the tread. Is there something about the low profile tires that makes them pick up nails and screws more than other tires?
Old 1/19/17, 02:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

another small tangent . . .

Have you guys noticed that these cars seem to be flat magnets?

Before I got this car, I can't remember the last time I had a flat tire.

But since I got this car, I have had about 4 or 5 flats in as many years. Every time it has been a nail or screw in the tread. Is there something about the low profile tires that makes them pick up nails and screws more than other tires?
If I say anything Bert I'm afraid Karma with sneak up on me, and bite me right on the patoot. But, I have found that my Corvette is much much worse. I guess the bigger/wider the tire, the more it can pick up.
Old 1/23/17, 04:18 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Just got back from a mini-trip to FL to escape the cold. Sorry about your flat tire. I wonder what happened to cause that failure? Just no excuse for something like that. So unexpected. Glad you retained all those driving skills you learned over the years on the job. Good luck the rest of the way.
We almost had a flat on our travels too. Unexpected obstacles on the road like this one below.
I'm buying a 2006 GT. So I wanted to ask.-naples-087.jpg
Old 1/24/17, 03:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Just got back from a mini-trip to FL to escape the cold. Sorry about your flat tire. I wonder what happened to cause that failure? Just no excuse for something like that. So unexpected. Glad you retained all those driving skills you learned over the years on the job. Good luck the rest of the way.
We almost had a flat on our travels too. Unexpected obstacles on the road like this one below.
Attachment 182552
Glad you found some warm weather my friend. But, you do need to watch for them Florida Gators. We're in Myrtle Beach, and so far the weather has been reasonable.

Ref. the tire, we hit a piece of scrap metal that I nor the wife saw. Luckily after the initial bump, I heard the hiss (window down) so it was an easy situation to handle. No other traffic thankfully.

As a side note, I am impressed by these Falken tires. They are quiet, smooth, and of course good on dry roads. Where they shine is on wet roads. When you hit a puddle in the road you don't feel that initial push back or pull on the car. The tires just seem to funnel the water out easily. I like that.

Last edited by wanted33; 1/24/17 at 03:04 PM.
Old 2/3/17, 12:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Update: I've gotta say the wife, and I are really enjoying this little car. We've had it at Myrtle Beach for nearly 3 weeks (right at 1K miles) now, and it hasn't missed a beat. Surprising I have gotten several nice comments about a nearly 11 year old car. Not bad for an older Stang.