Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Fueling issues

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/15, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fueling issues

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but if someone could point me in the correct direction it would be appreciated I am starting to have problems getting my 05 gt to take fuel some gas stations it won't take fuel at all I do believe there is a tsb but like I said I haven't really looked that hard has anyone else had that problem and if so what's the cure
Old 9/9/15, 07:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
TSB 07-21-12 There is no real 'cure'. You might try a revised tank, but... I probably wouldn't. Others have reported the charcoal canister is the culprit, and maybe that's true, but mine's at 127K+ and no issues once I figured things out.

---

THE METHOD(S):

Now, I've got an '06, so I'm not sure this applies... but...

If you go to a (typically) Shell station, but more importantly to one that has that collapsible tube on the pump handle? That one will get you *Every. Stinking. Time.* Without fail.

And the fix for that, for me, is to turn the dang handle upside down. Which breaks the seal that it has on the filler, and then allows the air to escape easier, thereby causing the problem to go away.

Which is why I don't go to any Shell stations, by the way.

If you go to a station that has the regular looking pump handles, without the tube on them, then the problem just doesn't seem to appear...

HOWEVER... and this is important... you must savor the filling of the tank. You must take in the sights around you, the smells, the sounds... and pump that gas in as slow as the pump/handle will allow. Relish in your plight, enjoy the irritation, bask in the glow of embarrassment as you realize your fate of being there for however long the slow pump takes.

I jest, but pretty much that has solved it... with but a very VERY few exceptions here and there. No-Tube pump handles, slow fill tempo, no looking like a weirdo with the upside down handle in the car.

---

THE WHY (near as I can tell):

Pumping it in too fast causes the air inside it to want to come out really fast. Faster than the rather little tube, which alsomakes a *really* weird path to the tank, will let it. It almost has a 'trap' design, going down, then UP, then down into the tank. Get under the car and have a look.

So, by slowing down the pumping, the air isn't as 'rushed', and so that helps to alleviate the issue.

But when you also get that tube method (Shell's method?) of their vapor recovery system, instead of the 'in nozzle' version of it (Exxon's method?), it apparently can't let the air escape fast enough. Which is why that tube one is a bigger issue than the nozzle only one. I'd guess the nozzle only one allows air to escape right on out, whereas the sealed system won't let it bypass the system, so it gets jammed.

The air pressure of all this acts as well as the hydraulic (nee fuel) pressure that causes the cut off to happen, and so... *CLICK*. If it's not the air itself, it's the air back pressure causing the fuel to get backed up. Either way, the cutoff happens.

Anyway, try those things out. I hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 9/9/15 at 07:43 PM.
Old 9/11/15, 07:23 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
John (05gtocd) fixed his by taking the tubes down and blowing out a puddle of condensation that was slowing the vent.

my first two fillups barfed gas all over the car, third tank i got at a BP, went only there for a few months...but ever since the first two fillups, have been able to fast fill it anywhere...weird