2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eating vettes.....

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/15, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eating vettes.....

What does it take to get my 06 gt to whoop up a slightly upgraded vette? And can I do it with the stock motor? Not on a road course, just from a dig and roll. Thanks in advance
Old 7/28/15, 06:42 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
The most important info you left out is the year of the Corvette. You'll smoke anything from the 80's just plain 'stock' with no upgrades and be pretty even with the LT1 Corvettes of the 90's. Once you start getting into the LS1 Corvettes from 1997 and up, you will really need some serious upgrades to your 4.6 Mustang engine. My '01 Trans Am is 'stock' with the LS1 and it is a bit faster than my GT. Not a lot faster but still has more speed in most ranges. It's an automatic too while my GT is a 5 speed. I can shift half decent too. The new 5.0 Mustangs can beat almost anything but we are talking a different animal now. Sorry if this news bums you out.
I'm sure others will chime in with the type upgrades (cam, etc..) you will need once you supply the Corvette info. There's too much of a spread from the 300 HP Corvettes to the 500 HP+ monsters of recent years.

Last edited by NC14GT; 7/28/15 at 06:45 AM.
Old 7/28/15, 07:06 AM

Thanks i forgot the years

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
The most important info you left out is the year of the Corvette. You'll smoke anything from the 80's just plain 'stock' with no upgrades and be pretty even with the LT1 Corvettes of the 90's. Once you start getting into the LS1 Corvettes from 1997 and up, you will really need some serious upgrades to your 4.6 Mustang engine. My '01 Trans Am is 'stock' with the LS1 and it is a bit faster than my GT. Not a lot faster but still has more speed in most ranges. It's an automatic too while my GT is a 5 speed. I can shift half decent too. The new 5.0 Mustangs can beat almost anything but we are talking a different animal now. Sorry if this news bums you out.
I'm sure others will chime in with the type upgrades (cam, etc..) you will need once you supply the Corvette info. There's too much of a spread from the 300 HP Corvettes to the 500 HP+ monsters of recent years.
I was wanting info for the newer 05+ vettes
Old 7/28/15, 07:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
You may be able do it with the stock motor, but not just the stock motor. For sure you are going to have to go forced induction on a 4.6L to get there. Likely a rear end gear change too, if you want to get the jump out of the hole.
Old 7/28/15, 12:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Eating vettes.....

What does it take? Easy one word: cash.
Old 7/28/15, 12:27 PM

Thanks,

Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
You may be able do it with the stock motor, but not just the stock motor. For sure you are going to have to go forced induction on a 4.6L to get there. Likely a rear end gear change too, if you want to get the jump out of the hole.
What is the least stressful, turbo or super charger? Its a DD so the least destruction the better.
Old 7/28/15, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could spray it and get there.
Old 7/31/15, 02:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dawg93
What is the least stressful, turbo or super charger? Its a DD so the least destruction the better.
Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

If you want to beat new vettes you may not be able to get there without an engine build.

Supercharger was the way I went. It's cheaper and simpler to install.

My original setup was fine for three years at 7psi and around 400rwhp

Then I upped the boost to 10psi and all sorts of problems ensued.

Clutch-- gone in three days after
Another Clutch -- gone after about six months
Back to stock clutch
Valve bent after about six months-- swapped driveline to GT500... happy

The platform is great for a little boost, but once you start to up the boost the driveline just can't handle it (in my experience anyway)

Good luck!
Old 7/31/15, 10:37 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ The 4.6 was upgraded for our cars but its still pretty old technology. And it was pretty close to its limits. We were behind the times from the start. Not that I dont love my car because I do and wouldn't trade it for the world but it is no 5.0 and without major upgrades to handle boost it just doesn't have the grunt. Corvettes are purpose built and in a higher category than our cars. They handle better and have plenty more power on tap. Our cars are also pigs they are heavy mostly metal. Corvettes have a big advantage from more power coupled with lighter fiberglass bodies and much better suspension all of that translates to a pretty big hill to climb to beat him or even keep up. Its just not really a fair comparison.
Old 8/1/15, 08:14 AM

Thanks

Originally Posted by 09-gt/cs
^ The 4.6 was upgraded for our cars but its still pretty old technology. And it was pretty close to its limits. We were behind the times from the start. Not that I dont love my car because I do and wouldn't trade it for the world but it is no 5.0 and without major upgrades to handle boost it just doesn't have the grunt. Corvettes are purpose built and in a higher category than our cars. They handle better and have plenty more power on tap. Our cars are also pigs they are heavy mostly metal. Corvettes have a big advantage from more power coupled with lighter fiberglass bodies and much better suspension all of that translates to a pretty big hill to climb to beat him or even keep up. Its just not really a fair comparison.
Thanks, I was just wanting to see how far off it would be to make it happen. I guess I will just throw the vette dream out until one day I get a newer bigger pony. Thanks for the info again.
Old 8/1/15, 08:43 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I dunno my 07 GT/CS has 452rwhp with a saleen sc'er. running around 9 to 10 psi for the last 5 years. Same clutch and no motor problems. You just need a good tuner to help you get what you want out of our engine. I race scca autocross so I do run the engine hard. I can give anybody a good run for their money.
Old 8/1/15, 11:00 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
What does it take? Easy one word: cash.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!
Old 8/3/15, 03:11 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://fordperformanceracingparts.c...KeyField=11831

There ya go. Enjoy poverty!
Old 8/3/15, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
hmmmm you want to eat vettes...well first off im sure the amount of zinc and other various metals will wind up causing you to get food poisoning and a trip to the hospital....as for the rubber...oh wait you mean smoke them with the stang!!! my bad, I read it wrong!!!

lets see...you will need cash (or at least a bit of plastic with a decent credit line....) your at the minimum looking for a very mild build with the engine AND transmission as well a dive line upgrade, think of it logically, if you upgrade the power the engine can put out, your transmission needs to be able to take it, and the drive line will need to be able to handle the power upgrade as well with out snapping in half...

I usually start with upgrading the transmission (yes I am going to upgrade the trans first on my stang before I begin with messing with the engine so I know it will handle the power I plan to add under the hood....