2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

DTE FLI DATA ERR

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/05, 11:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today during lunch my fuel gauge dropped to Empty from Full, the Data center beeped at me and displayed Low Fuel, DTE FLI DATA ERR, and the Engine light came on.

I did a search and did see other people have had this problem, but no post on what the fix was.

I just filled up yesterday, have a full tank of gas and the gascap is on good.

Datacenter systemcheck goes thru all the steps saying ok until it checks fuel level then it also gets the DTE FLI DATA ERR

Shutting the car off and back on a few minutes later the engine light remains lit, but the DTE FLI DATA ERR is not present and the fuel guage reads as it should. But returns a short while later. Hiting reset on the messege center also clears the alarm but again it returns a short while later.

I called my dealership and they are going to service it tommorow.

To those that have had this problem I ask, If a dealership serviced it and fixed it, what was the cause and fix?
Old 12/7/05, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had that error, my fix was to remove that crazy PIE adapter from the stereo. No more error or DTC's.
Old 12/7/05, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by f1-cobra@December 7, 2005, 12:37 PM
I had that error, my fix was to remove that crazy PIE adapter from the stereo. No more error or DTC's.
I don't have any aftermarket audio/video or security, thats all stock on my car.

Your PIE audio adapter was causing fuel guage problems and DTE errors? Wow, I was thinking its a fuel sender unit problem or a datacenter cpu issue, now It could be anything.
Old 12/7/05, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe it was because the adapter was plugged into the two wires that also go to the PCM and the dash causing a short in the circuits. Here is the trouble code I got, maybe it will help.

P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input
Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the fuel level input (FLI) circuit for electrical failure. The test fails when the signal moves above the maximum allowable calibrated parameter for a specified fuel fill percentage in the fuel tank.
Possible Causes:
· Fuel pump (FP) module concern.
· Incorrectly installed fuel gauge.
· Damaged instrument cluster.
· FLI shorted to vehicle power (VPWR).
· Case ground (CSE GND) circuit open.
· Overfilled fuel tank.
· Damaged fuel gauge.
Diagnostic Aids: Monitor the FLI and FLI V PIDs in key on, engine running (KOER). A hard fault is indicated if the FLI PID is at 25% fill and the FLI V PID is less than 0.90 volt with a non-matching fuel gauge or the FLI PID is at 75% fill and the FLI V PID is greater than 2.45 volts with a non-matching fuel gauge
Old 12/7/05, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I had this service done for this very problem on Nov. 30th. The dealer replaced 2 Fuel Tank Senders:
FP Number: 4R3Z-9275-AA, for Sender 022084
4R3Z-9275-DA, for Sender 022840

It seems to work for now. Had serviced 1st week of Nov. (drove in un-scheduled) & they thought a quick fix might work. All they did was reset engine light & give a gas additive. Gave me a bottle to put in on my next fill up. It worked at first but 800 miles later the problem came back & they scheduled me for the more thorough service. (I hope)
Until service was done I was told it was okay to drive it with the check engine light on as long as it ran & sounded good, which it did.

Someone posted the same on another thread so I never posted my outcome. However it was a thread mixed with other fuel gauge & tank issues.

This was my only problem. I never had a problem filling up with fuel or gas gauge showing proper fill up afterwards. Just the DTE FLI DATA ERR false alarm.

If your situations the same you can relax. It was covered on the warranty plus a free loaner. That was the worse of it, I had to drive a Taurus for a day. I dropped my Stang off the night before my scheduled day. They start service at 8:00AM. At 10:30AM I got called that my car was fixed & ready to pick up any time. Good Luck!
Old 12/14/05, 07:49 PM
V6 Member

I had that empty fuel tank error happen 2X now in the last 1000 miles (8k on the car). It usually goes away after about 10 mins of driving. I was one of the lucky owners who had to get my gas tank replaced right after I picked up the car.

I haven't taken it in to see what's going on, but reading the post above it proves that the dealer won't know either. The dealer didn't know about the gas tank issue when I brought it in... I had to point him to the trouble website before he belived me on that one. I guess I'll continue to monitor this post to see if someone figures out what's going on.

In the mean time when it happens again, I can always look at my trip meter and know I have enough gas.