2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Convertible Top Replacement Cost

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/11, 11:48 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iceknyght
That's about how long the guy I took mine to had it... Of course, I was able to time it to a vacation and drop the car off on the way out of town (on a Thursday) and pick it up when we got back (Monday)!

Wow, you have some good luck! This is my first Vert and had only had the car a couple years before having to replace the top! Of course, at the time I was living in an apartment complex... But I had the car there 2 years before anything happened to it... Not unlike my '05 coupe I had there, that had everything from the windshield wipers stolen, to being egged... *sigh*

Part of my luck is due to the fact I always have had a garage. My vehicles never sit out unless I am washing them when they are at home. Apartment complex parking lots are notorious everywhere for being the domain for criminal mischief and thievery. The only time my cars were exposed to this menace was when my present home was being built. We lived in a complex about 6 months waiting for our home to be completed. It was a loooong 6 months!! LOL!!
Old 3/22/11, 11:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RAGTOP OWNER 06 GT
Welcome MB2169 to TMS. Nice looking 07 vert.I've got an 06 GT with lemans strips.Bought it in Oct.last year and just love driving it. There are just no words to explain the feeling. PURE JOY!!!!!
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I am smitten with my vert, too! It just seems to beg me to take it somewhere everytime I look at it. I try to accommodate it as much as possible!! LOL!
Old 3/22/11, 11:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nb2169
Part of my luck is due to the fact I always have had a garage. My vehicles never sit out unless I am washing them when they are at home. Apartment complex parking lots are notorious everywhere for being the domain for criminal mischief and thievery. The only time my cars were exposed to this menace was when my present home was being built. We lived in a complex about 6 months waiting for our home to be completed. It was a loooong 6 months!! LOL!!
I know the feeling!

The sad part was that most of what happened to my '05 was in my car port, which was right under my apartment! Unfortunately for my '06 Vert, it was in the general parking area when it got vandalized since parking was horrible and I was saving my car port spot for my wife, since she always got home later than I did...

I was SO happy when we finally bought our house! I was most excited about having a garage to keep my car in! LOL!
Old 3/22/11, 11:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RAGTOP OWNER 06 GT
Welcome MB2169 to TMS. Nice looking 07 vert.I've got an 06 GT with lemans strips.Bought it in Oct.last year and just love driving it. There are just no words to explain the feeling. PURE JOY!!!!!
ditto that!! picked up my '07 in nov...just in time for winter storage

i did a little better, (paid $17,500...22,300mi) i think it was also neglected/kept outside

i have those lines on mine, and it was so dirty and stained when i bought it, i've managed to get it pretty clean but its not perfect. i was thinking of replacing it with a cloth top too, but i didnt think it would be that expensive!! i wanted to do a dark blue top(to be different) and dark blue stripes... i'll have to think about it, maybe next yr...
Old 3/22/11, 12:05 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by luzstang
ditto that!! picked up my '07 in nov...just in time for winter storage

i did a little better, (paid $17,500...22,300mi) i think it was also neglected/kept outside

i have those lines on mine, and it was so dirty and stained when i bought it, i've managed to get it pretty clean but its not perfect. i was thinking of replacing it with a cloth top too, but i didnt think it would be that expensive!! i wanted to do a dark blue top(to be different) and dark blue stripes... i'll have to think about it, maybe next yr...
You did real good on the price. I love windveil blue and I think a dark blue top would look great on your ride. I am not a fan of stripes on a car myself, but to each his or her own! Good luck. I am sure you will make the right choice for your tastes.
Old 3/22/11, 12:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
even with all the downsides of a convertible, I would not trade mine for a coupe, and am reminded this every time I drop the top on a nice summer day.. Good luck on the install and welcome to the forum
Old 3/22/11, 12:27 PM
V6 Member

You did real good on the price. I love windveil blue and I think a dark blue top would look great on your ride. I am not a fan of stripes on a car myself, but to each his or her own! Good luck. I am sure you will make the right choice for your tastes.
thanks...good luck too you too...

enjoy your summer everyone!! (safely, lol)
Old 3/22/11, 02:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by topbliss
even with all the downsides of a convertible, I would not trade mine for a coupe, and am reminded this every time I drop the top on a nice summer day.. Good luck on the install and welcome to the forum
Thanks! I feel ya on the vert goodness! As I said before, I'm on my 4th one. Everytime I step away from them thinking that I've had my fill, I go a few years and then start suffering withdrawal symptoms. Usually the really good first spring day of the year while I watch somone else, who wasn't foolish enough to let their vert go, drive by and wave! LOL!

Last edited by nb2169; 3/22/11 at 02:03 PM.
Old 3/23/11, 08:35 PM
GT Member

You guys are speaking what is on my mind now. Love having a convertible, but my kids are getting too big to fit in the back seats. I have one more summer with this car, then it is paid off.
Thinking of moving it for a truck or awd something
Then again the 2010 Shelby vert I test drove was pretty sweet. Worried I will miss a vert too much if I sell her, but no room to properly store her for just nice weather driving.

Last edited by twokidsnosleep; 3/23/11 at 08:37 PM.
Old 3/23/11, 09:47 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by twokidsnosleep
You guys are speaking what is on my mind now. Love having a convertible, but my kids are getting too big to fit in the back seats. I have one more summer with this car, then it is paid off.
Thinking of moving it for a truck or awd something
Then again the 2010 Shelby vert I test drove was pretty sweet. Worried I will miss a vert too much if I sell her, but no room to properly store her for just nice weather driving.
Are you just a one car family, or do you have a family hauler, too? If you already have a family hauler, then jealously hold on your baby. It's cheaper in the long run if you are one of the "bitten" ones like me. I can attest to this personally, as I have now just purchased my 4th one. They never get cheaper.
Old 3/24/11, 08:15 AM
V6 Member

Well, today I dropped off my vert for the top change. I got to see the new top before I left. I was trying to make sure it was the right color and that the rear glass was present instead of plastic. I verified the color and the material looks good, but I was unable to see the glass. However, the package was heavy as if it was weighted by glass. Gulp! I am praying to the vert gods that this gets done right.
Old 3/24/11, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

I haven't seen plastic rear windows since the sn95's... I am pretty sure that our s197's only use glass (I have never seen one with plastic)... You should be good!
Old 3/24/11, 11:10 AM
V6 Member

I haven't seen plastic rear windows since the sn95's... I am pretty sure that our s197's only use glass (I have never seen one with plastic)... You should be good!
The brand of replacement top is Electron. Their catalog has both types of rear window. I believe the top with the vinyl rear window is for those who want to get a top replacement on the cheap regardless of what was originally OEM on their vehicle.
Old 3/24/11, 11:22 AM
Cobra Member

The brand of replacement top is Electron. Their catalog has both types of rear window. I believe the top with the vinyl rear window is for those who want to get a top replacement on the cheap regardless of what was originally OEM on their vehicle.
Interesting... I did not know there was a plastic window option... I have never seen one!

I can't remember what brand my top is... I know they told me and I am sure it's in the paperwork they gave me, but I can't remember off the top of my head... I know it is different than the OEM one, cause the guy that did my top did not like the quality of the OEM top (for whatever reason) and said he only used a certain brand, because he thought it was better...
Old 3/24/11, 01:49 PM
V6 Member

Interesting... I did not know there was a plastic window option... I have never seen one!

I can't remember what brand my top is... I know they told me and I am sure it's in the paperwork they gave me, but I can't remember off the top of my head... I know it is different than the OEM one, cause the guy that did my top did not like the quality of the OEM top (for whatever reason) and said he only used a certain brand, because he thought it was better...
I think all Mustang convertibles come with a glass rear window from the factory. However, there are a certain number of people that will go the cheapest route possible when faced with top replacement, even if it degrades their ride. Hence, the plastic window. It would not be a route I would care to take.
Old 3/24/11, 01:51 PM
Cobra Member

Me either!
Old 3/24/11, 09:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by luzstang
i have those lines on mine, and it was so dirty and stained when i bought it, i've managed to get it pretty clean but its not perfect.
Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges. With a little water and some elbow grease, you will be amazed at how clean you can get your top! They will start to disintegrate after a few minutes, so you will probably have to use several. My top is tan vinyl, and nothing else would get those black marks off. Hope that helps!
Old 3/25/11, 01:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by topoffGT
Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges. With a little water and some elbow grease, you will be amazed at how clean you can get your top! They will start to disintegrate after a few minutes, so you will probably have to use several. My top is tan vinyl, and nothing else would get those black marks off. Hope that helps!
hmmm i'll have to try that...i love the tan top, but it drives me crazy that its not perfectly clean looking...thanx for the tip!