2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Contemplating a few mods, would line done some input plz

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/16, 08:13 PM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Contemplating a few mods, would line done some input plz

I have an 05 GT. I have the CDC classic chin spoiler, MMD ducktail, HID kit, SLP loudmouth axle back. I'd like some input as to how y'all think I might want to proceed. I don't NEED a new exhaust but I definitely want the added power with full exhaust, yet justifying almost $2K isn't in the cards right now.

I don't wanna lower it yet until I get wheels and tires next year. So for the foreseeable future my tentative mod list, in no certain order is:

Kooks long tubes
Kooks catted H pipe
Roush extreme catback
MGW shifter
Raxiom Gen 5 taillights
Raxiom 2010 style headlights
Redline hood struts
MMD deck lid panel
Paint to match mirror caps
Bama tuner
3.73 gears

Last edited by Jcreek79; 1/12/17 at 02:13 AM.
Old 6/12/16, 08:53 PM
GT Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi jcreek,

I've got an '06 so I can address a few of your questions.

With respect to final drive I just bought 4.10's and they go in next week. I thought about 3.73 but I don't think the difference from 3.55 makes it worthwhile. Obviously your driving needs may be different but it seems 4.10 is the most common change.

My first mod was an MGW shifter. It's a fine piece of kit, worth the price and really helps these clunky transmissions cooperate.

On the tuner I went with the SCT 4 from Steeda with their lifetime tunes. I suspect the BAMA version is very good as well.

Mirror caps......yes the stock mirrors are butt-ugly. I dropped the dollars for the "retro pre-painted" mirrors from American Muscle and they really look sensational on my Screaming Yellow GT. The caps have gotta be an improvement but those stock mirrors still look like something off an F-450. Just sayin......

Headlights, tailights, hood struts, deck lid panel......yeah those are cool but that money could go toward cams to compliment the long tube headers.

This S197 platform is an absolute blast to mod and the main idea is to have fun.
Old 6/12/16, 08:56 PM
GT Member

If I went how I should with exhaust I'd be able to pay off half the car lol. It's only got 68K on it and I got it for $10,000. No rust anywhere. Which up here in nwpa is unheard of
Old 6/12/16, 09:02 PM
GT Member

Sounds like you did just fine on it. Enjoy.
Old 6/13/16, 06:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Jcreek79
I have an 05 GT. I have the CDC classic chin spoiler, MMD ducktail, HID kit, SLP loudmouth axle back. I'd like some input as to how y'all think I might want to proceed. I don't NEED a new exhaust bbuy i definitely want the added power and you're with a fill full exhaust, yet justifying almost $2K isn't in the cards right now.

I don't wanna lower it yet until I get wheels and tires next year. So for the foreseeable future my tentative mood list, in no certain order is:

Kooks long tubes
Kooks catted H pipe
Roush extreme catback
MGW shifter
Raxiom Gen 5 taillights
Redline hood struts
MMD deck lid panel
Bama tuner
3.73 gears
Would love to put a package deal together for you which includes many of the parts listed above - Steeda tune & tuner, Steeda Tri-Ax, Gears, etc. If you email me your contact info - we can get a package price together for you & the best part about running the Steeda parts together is they are a great compliment & fit!

Let me know your thoughts ... you can email me at tim@steeda.com.

I look forward to speaking & working with you.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 6/13/16, 07:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
I have an 05 GT. I have the CDC classic chin spoiler, MMD ducktail, HID kit, SLP loudmouth axle back. I'd like some input as to how y'all think I might want to proceed. I don't NEED a new exhaust bbuy i definitely want the added power and you're with a fill full exhaust, yet justifying almost $2K isn't in the cards right now.

I don't wanna lower it yet until I get wheels and tires next year. So for the foreseeable future my tentative mood list, in no certain order is:

Kooks long tubes
Kooks catted H pipe
Roush extreme catback
MGW shifter
Raxiom Gen 5 taillights
Redline hood struts
MMD deck lid panel
Bama tuner
3.73 gears
Would love to put a package deal together for you which includes many of the parts listed above - Steeda tune & tuner, Steeda Tri-Ax, Gears, etc. If you email me your contact info - we can get a package price together for you & the best part about running the Steeda parts together is they are a great compliment & fit!

Let me know your thoughts ... you can email me at tim@steeda.com.

I look forward to speaking & working with you.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 6/13/16, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I've always preached to build from the ground up. Put together a comprehensive build list with a goal in mind and start building from the ground up. Results are usually better that way. Always mix performance parts and bling to keep the car happy. It's like any other relationship. I mean if you buy your wife a new vacuum cleaner, I bet it will work better if you buy some diamond earrings to go along with it.

So, build from the ground up and do it with a balanced relationship and good things will come.
The following users liked this post:
Jcreek79 (6/19/16)
Old 6/19/16, 08:47 PM
GT Member

Just bought the MGW Friday night so hopefully I can cross that off the list soon when it comes in. I'd have more for the car soon buy I need a new carry pistol do i gotta fund a Gen4 Glock 19
Old 6/20/16, 10:59 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MGW - Excellent choice
Bama Tune - Do your research
Headers - absolutely not worth the price tag
Gears - 3:73
Exhaust - Roush (currently what I have) sound awesome, not sure on the performance increase seeing as they were installed when I bought the car
Suspension - The S197's tend to get squriley (spellcheck) with gears, save the money from the headers + a little more and work on the suspension. I have full Roush suspension on my 07 and I am amazed how well it sticks to the road. Absolute night and day difference.
CAI ?
Jcreek79 (7/10/16)
Old 6/20/16, 01:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I was able to do headers and high flow catted xpipe for around 800. kooks is very good stuff but I believe the BBK is some pretty high quality stuff as well. I have been very happy with them for at leat 6 years now.
Jcreek79 (7/10/16)
Old 1/12/17, 02:11 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by M90CaliforniaSpecial
MGW - Excellent choice
Bama Tune - Do your research
Headers - absolutely not worth the price tag
Gears - 3:73
Exhaust - Roush (currently what I have) sound awesome, not sure on the performance increase seeing as they were installed when I bought the car
Suspension - The S197's tend to get squriley (spellcheck) with gears, save the money from the headers + a little more and work on the suspension. I have full Roush suspension on my 07 and I am amazed how well it sticks to the road. Absolute night and day difference.
CAI ?
My apologies for neglecting everyone's responses. I was honestly working too much and enjoying the car too much to remember getting back yo this thread.

I DEFINITELY wanna do gears and I like the 3.73's as you were saying so those are DEFINITELY on the list soon, I just have to find a reputable shop to do it, that's the trouble. However there's a local shop everyone recommends and they have a mustang dyno so I'll likely get a tuner and have them do something custom for me when I have them do the gears. Why do you say headers are a waste of money?
I plan on getting either the SR lowering springs from American Muscle or a set of Steeda springs and panhard bar. Dunno which I wanna go with yet but the SR springs are attractive from their reviews and price point.
What about cams? Are they worth it since I'll lose low end buy pick up some seat of the pants feel with the gears?

In a couple weeks I'll be buying the lowering components, I picked up a set of 2011 GT Premium wheels for $150 and I'll be getting a set of sumitomo htrz-2 tires to slap on em so I think that'll look decent with it lowered about 1.5"

MGW shifter
Raxiom Gen 5 taillights
Redline hood struts have all been added last summer as well.

I tried the 2010 style headlights but the rotation on one of the projectors was atrocious so I sent them back and got a refund.

Last edited by Jcreek79; 1/12/17 at 02:17 AM.
Old 1/12/17, 08:01 AM
GT Member

You'll love the way the car responds to lowering but don't overlook a sway bar upgrade.

My most recent mods were a one piece aluminum driveshaft and a Sprint booster for the drive by wire thottle.

The 'Stang is noticeably smoother and clunk-free now that the two-piece "boat anchor" is outta there plus it just spools up quicker.

The Sprint booster is pricey but it really cleaned up the low and mid range throttle response. If you're an old school heel and toe downshifter it's a huge help.

I was about to spring for cams and long tubes but the engine runs so sweetly now that I don't want to do anything that might alter the power band.......Of course I could change my mind in 20 minutes.
Old 4/24/18, 01:53 AM
GT Member

Completely forgot I posted this thread lol. I've since done the lowering and it is like an entirely different car, love it! Bought Pypes off-road h pipe and my buddy gave me a couple decent sized magnaflow resonators so that should alleviate some of the trumpeting once it's all put up under there.

I've since decided to put my things of headers on hold until I buy a house and don't have touchy neighbors to deal with. The off-road h is gonna be bad enough lol.

Considering cams but I'm not sure which to get, don't do many top end runs ago I wanna get a set that'll allow me to keep good mid range and low end....but still have good isle sound.

Once it's paid off I plan to go with a Roush front fascia and such, cowl hood etc. She has some minor paint issues so I figured might as well get it all done at once.

But other than gettin the exhaust finished for this year, tuner, tint and possibly ditching the fogs for a 9 bar billet or Bullitt grill. Really loved the look of the Saleen grill.....man I wish it worked with the stock GT bumper!!

4.10's are a possibility but not sure I wanna put that much into it this year. And finding a reputable shop around here to do it is another story. Anyone know of a good shop around Northwest PA?

Last edited by Jcreek79; 4/24/18 at 01:55 AM.
Old 4/24/18, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Considering cams but I'm not sure which to get, don't do many top end runs ago I wanna get a set that'll allow me to keep good mid range and low end....but still have good isle sound.
You won't get that lopey sound with a mild cam. It's physics. You can get one of those sound cams and they will give you gains up top but at a cost of lower and mid range torque. That lope at idle is actually your motor struggling to run. One of the byproducts of running a big cam is a ****ty idle. I still don't know why people want to have such a crappy idle. If it were a choice, I would love to have a smooth purring idle with all the power up top but that's just not the way it works.
Old 4/25/18, 09:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 07 Boss
You won't get that lopey sound with a mild cam. It's physics. You can get one of those sound cams and they will give you gains up top but at a cost of lower and mid range torque. That lope at idle is actually your motor struggling to run. One of the byproducts of running a big cam is a ****ty idle. I still don't know why people want to have such a crappy idle. If it were a choice, I would love to have a smooth purring idle with all the power up top but that's just not the way it works.
Makes alot of sense, thanks man. Really set things straight for me.