2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Clutch chatter anyone...?

Old 8/3/05, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I did some rather agressive (but not abusive) driving during freeway stop 'n go traffic then the clutch starts some bigtime chattering/jerking when starting off in 1st gear....it felt like the transmission was about to come up through the floor! The problem occurs only in 1st gear.

Let it cool off for 8 hours then tried it again; still herky/jerky. The next day it's still bad so I call the dealer and schedule an appointment and did not drive it for 2 days. Today, I start off and it's bad but by the time I get to the dealer, (yeah, you guessed it), no more bad behaviour and it would not repeat the symptoms when I took the service tech for a serious drive. Don't you just hate that? :angry:

So, I'm driving it back home and there are still some minor symptoms of some clutch (or maybe differential?) slippage. Not the violent shaking like before but it seems as though something is definately wrong here. Has anyone else had this happen :scratch:
Old 8/3/05, 08:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the clatter but no shaking to speak of. Seems, like your case, to happen after its been running awhile. Got 4,000 miles on the car - fiqure when/if it gets worse, will take in.
Old 8/3/05, 09:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

mine lately has been startinng to shake and chatter in first and reverse when i let the clutch out to try n get moving as well
Old 8/3/05, 09:28 PM

I just picked up my Mustang GT with manual transmission on 07/26/2005. Yesterday, I was showing off my car to my 80th year old father. I was bragging about the car to my father then I hear a clutch chatter or clanking noise also. Very disturbing. I was approaching a stop sign, down shifted to 1st gear and I hear this loud clutch shaking and rattling. That was yesterday and I have not heard the sound again. I know how to drive a clutch and believe me the chatter was not a normal sound. If anyone else is having this problem lets discuss so we have some idea if we need to take our cars into the dealers.
Old 8/3/05, 09:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

this is my first manual so im not sure if its something im doing lately or not but i kno ive never heard this before and ive had the car now for almost 8000 miles. I would tend to think that if it were me i would have burned the clutch out a long time ago if i were driving that badly.
Old 8/3/05, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Ranger@August 3, 2005, 6:39 PM
I've had the clatter but no shaking to speak of. Seems, like your case, to happen after its been running awhile. Got 4,000 miles on the car - fiqure when/if it gets worse, will take in.
I've got 6,000 miles on the car and everything has been fine up to now. Keep an eye on this...maybe we have another TSB issue in the works.

p.s. I've been driving manual transmissions for over 30 years; these symptoms are reminisce of previous problems with main seal oil leaks onto the flywheel/clutch on my old '65 and '66 Mustangs. Surely this cannot be happening yet...can it?
Old 8/4/05, 10:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I am not sure what happened to mine, but here is a thread I started

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...89&hl=wheel+hop

I went racing and the next few days I had what felt like wheel hop at each start. I am not familiar with Clutch Chatter. So I don't know how to differentiate.

Basically when starting out in first gear at low RPMs, I would get jerking. Felt a little like wheel hop, but not as aggressive. But it was enough to make the tires chirp a few times when ever I started.

I drove a lot a few days later and it seemed to stop.
Old 8/4/05, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Guys these are heavy cars that have a lot of power. I know in my 00 gt I had to replace my factory clutch after about 20 tho. Of course there were quite a few trips down the track. Sounds to me like the flywheel has hotspots on it already. I would take it to the dealer and have them check it out and make sure it doesnt. Sometimes you will wear them down a little if you keep driving it also.
Old 8/4/05, 12:01 PM

Mustangs are well known for having transmissin trouble (this trany is made in france, go figure). Just take it in and have it looked at.
Old 8/4/05, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Kluski@August 4, 2005, 8:38 AM
Basically when starting out in first gear at low RPMs, I would get jerking. Felt a little like wheel hop, but not as aggressive. But it was enough to make the tires chirp a few times when ever I started.

I drove a lot a few days later and it seemed to stop.
This is probably a better description of what is happening with mine. It sounds like Andy H has this pretty well diagnosed....hot spots on the flywheel. I hope that continued driving will smooth things over. Thanks to all for the input.
Old 8/4/05, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by John SCB@August 4, 2005, 12:43 PM
This is probably a better description of what is happening with mine. It sounds like Andy H has this pretty well diagnosed....hot spots on the flywheel. I hope that continued driving will smooth things over. Thanks to all for the input.
If it keeps up much longer I would definately take it back in. Sometimes they will wear down sometimes they wont. Also if your getting a chirping its the TOB. If they put a clutch in it for you make sure they put a new TOB. Also make sure they put a new Pilot shaft bearing. I am not sure if they changed it or not but in the 99-04 they are made of plastic and need changed if you do a clutch in it.
Old 8/4/05, 04:05 PM

I had these same issues arrise, but they seem to have settled some. It too started after I drove it hard one day.

Note: I've driven nothing but MT for the last 10 years with the exception of a rent a car here and there when I was on a vacation.
Old 8/4/05, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a clunk in mine sometimes during shifting up or down. I think I have it narrowed down to the carrier bearing in the driveshaft. The rubber damper is very soft so it has a lot of up and down movement, about a quarter inch.
Old 8/4/05, 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds like you guys overheated the clutch and glazed it. If you're lucky, it will go away, but if you got it hot enough, the clutch may be junk, or the flywheel surface may be damaged from the heat. I've heard about a number of people doing this in different cars. A stock clutch just isn't made for high heat.
Old 8/6/05, 11:12 PM

My manual clutch chatter happened four days ago. Since that time, I have not heard it again and the car is running extremely well. Just to reiterate, my clutch chatter happened as follows: I was approaching a stop sign. I was in the process of downshifting from 2nd gear to 1st gear, the car was in neutral as I was braking for the stop sign, and I hear a loud rattle/chatter like some piece of metal is dragging on the ground. Like I said before, I have been driving a clutch for over 20 years and this was a unique and disturbing sound to me. Fast forward four days later. I have not heard the sound again and the car is running extremely well.
I will keep my ears open for disturbing sounds but I can say as of today, the car is running very well. The car is only a week old and I have no issues. The interior is very tight and no rattles. I have no previous posted TSB problems at all. My car was built the week of July 18th. This car is wonderful to drive and I am extremely happ y with the purchase of this car!!!
Old 8/7/05, 08:49 AM
GT Member

. I was in the process of downshifting from 2nd gear to 1st gear,

The owners manual says not to downshift to 1st gear because it causes excesive clutch wear!
Old 8/7/05, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ben05@August 4, 2005, 12:04 PM
Mustangs are well known for having transmissin trouble (this trany is made in france, go figure). Just take it in and have it looked at.
The T3650 in the '05 Mustang is made in Mexico.