Sponsored by:

Bouncing Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/14, 12:03 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bouncing Tyres

Hello there.

I have an 2006 Gt.The problem is that when the mustang is standing still for a day or 2 and then i drive it,it feels bouncy. When I drive down roads (usually freshly repaved) I notice it the most.After driving it for 20 minutes or more its good.I have 4 new Pirelli P7 235/55/17.Am i the only one with this problem??? Stock 2006 Gt 25.500 miles on it.

Red GT
Old 9/2/14, 08:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Some tires develop a flat spot from sitting and cooling off. Sounds like your problem/issue. The driving and warming of the tire smooths them out. The reason for the feeling it more on fresh roads is because they have no other bumps that you would feel, thus masking the tire flat spot issue. Not much you can do except different tires and I believe you would have to go to tires that would have a harder tread compound and higher wear factor.
Old 9/3/14, 04:55 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete
Some tires develop a flat spot from sitting and cooling off. Sounds like your problem/issue. The driving and warming of the tire smooths them out. The reason for the feeling it more on fresh roads is because they have no other bumps that you would feel, thus masking the tire flat spot issue. Not much you can do except different tires and I believe you would have to go to tires that would have a harder tread compound and higher wear factor.
I agree, and Pirelli's seem to be especially prone to flat-spotting.
Old 9/3/14, 05:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My Firestones on my other car flat spot when it sits and it sits most of the time. The car shakes pretty bad for a little while until the tires warm up.
Old 9/3/14, 09:03 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Gt
Hello there.
I have an 2006 Gt.The problem is that when the mustang is standing still for a day or 2 and then i drive it,it feels bouncy. When I drive down roads (usually freshly repaved) I notice it the most.After driving it for 20 minutes or more its good.I have 4 new Pirelli P7 235/55/17.Am i the only one with this problem??? Stock 2006 Gt 25.500 miles on it.
Red-Looks like AZ Nailed it on this one but this is really something that I would expect in considerably colder climates or even a car that's not being driven for a few weeks as opposed for a couple days. Have you had this looked at locally at all by a local tire shop?

Originally Posted by AzPete
^^^^^
Old 9/3/14, 09:35 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Certain tire compounds just do this regardless of the climate. I've noticed that the better handling tires are usually the ones that do this but not always. I would just try another brand next time. Just know that it is nothing to really be alarmed about.