Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005-2009 Mustang
S197 Discussion & News

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 8/27/08, 7:47 PM   #1
Bullitt Member

Automatic Transmission - Shift Handle Rail Cover Fell Off

A few days ago, I noticed that the shifter on my car was showing some resistance when moving from Parking to Drive. Since I was in a hurry, I forced it and heard a rattling sound. I noticed that the sliding rail cover on the shifter kinda creased on the back, as if there was something preventing it from sliding back. The same thing happened when I tried to put it on Parking. After a few days of this, the front cover of the rail disappeared completely. The back one is still creasing. Any ideas what may cause this, and how can I fix this? Do I need to get a new set of these covers, or is there any way of setting them back where they belong?

PD. I know my center console is dirty. I kinda spilled some soda. I'll get around to cleaning it up...
Attached Thumbnails
Automatic Transmission - Shift Handle Rail Cover Fell Off-img-.jpg  

Last edited by psychen6; 8/28/08 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling
psychen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/27/08, 11:55 PM   #2
Shelby GT350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychen6 View Post
A few days ago, I noticed that the shifter on my car was showing some resistance when moving from Parking to Drive. Since I was in a hurry, I forced it and head a rattling sound. I noticed that the sliding rail cover on the shifter kinda creased on the back, as if there was something preventing it from sliding back. The same thing happened when I tried to Put it on Park. After a few days of this, the front cover of the rail disappeared completely. The back one is still creasing. Any ideas what may cause this, and how can I fix this? Do I need to get a new set of these covers, or is there any way of setting them back where they belong?

PD. I know my center console is dirty. I kinda spilled some soda. I'll get around to cleaning it up...
Dude, I have had my shifter bezel off long enough to examine how that whole sliding shifter blind is attached. It's very soft plastic which if you accidentally poke it hard enough it will dislodge itself off the track it slides in. In order to examine if it can be repaired, you will need to remove the top of the console first, then proceed to removing the lower console. It's only two phillips screws, two 7mm hex screws and two nuts that hold the whole thing in, plus a star screw for the shifter handle. The removal of the console is covered in several existing threads.

Once you get the console and shift handle out of the way, the PRND321 bezel just snaps in place to the shift lever mount. Unfasten it and pull it off. You should be able to examine if the sliding shifter blind is damaged. If it is salvagable, you can just slide and fasten it back into place. If not, check with a Ford parts dealer to see if the blind is sold seperately, or if it comes only with the complete bezel.

1991 Ford Probe LX V6

Former Fords:

1976 Mustang II Cobra II V8 - 1978 Ford LTD II 2dr. Hardtop 351W - 1994 Mustang V6 Convertible - 1985 Thunderbird V8 - 1989 Thunderbird V6 - 1999 Mustang V6 Coupe - 2003 Escape XLT V6 - 2008 Mustang V6 Pony Package Coupe - 1984 Thunderbird V8 - 2010 Ford Mustang V6 Pony Package Coupe - 2011 Ranger - 1996 Taurus
watchdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/28/08, 7:18 AM   #3
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info. I'll try that when I get home today.

Old 8/28/08, 8:15 AM   #4
GT Member

Shawn

2007 GT Convertible
Happened to me..but not with the stang

My last car (a 94 Z28...yea...I know..dark side, etc.)...the same thing happened..and it was caused by my father spilling a coke on the shifter area. I think the sticky coke caused the plastic to bind. It was never the same. Lesson learned...never spill sugary soda on these things.

It is funny that you mentioned this...because I was just looking at my stang shifter the other day and thought, "you know..I bet this thing does the same thing in time".

Good luck.
'07 Redfire Mustang GT Premium Convertible, IUP with Dark Charcoal Interior, Premier Trim with Chamois Color Accent, Comfort Group, Side Air Bags, Shaker 500, Black Cloth Convertible Top with Soft Boot, 18" Polished Bullitts, Wheel Locks, Active Anti-Theft, GT Appearance Package, and Spoiler Delete

Receipt: 6/20/2006
Serialized: 6/22/2006
Segmented: 7/24/2006
Sequenced: 7/28/2006
Produced: 7/28/2006
Released: 7/31/2006
Shipped: 8/1/2006
Arrived: 8/10/06
Sold: 8/11/06
keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/28/08, 9:07 AM   #5
GTR Member

C

Manual transmission FTW.
'07 GT manual: GT500 rear bumper, GT500 strut tower brace, A-Arm brace, Webelectric sequentials, Hellwig 1" adj. rear sway bar, Steeda Cold Air Intake, HD Bilsteins (rear), FR500S axle-backs, Steeda CMCV Deletes, Steeda Billet LCA, Brake dust shield deletes, SCT PRP 93-octane
metroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/28/08, 11:15 AM   #6
Bullitt Member

I had the same thing happen to me a little while ago. I took it to the dealer and they covered it.

Vortech @ 14psi | Spearco Intercooler | Zabteck TB | Corsa Mufflers | JBA H Pipe Kit | FRPP T-lok | Hyperboost HXc BPV | 39# Bosch Injectors | JBA 9mm Power Cables | NGK TR6 Plugs | J&M (Hotpart) LCA's | Stillen Adjustable Sway Bars | CDC Shelby Pedals | Plenum Cover | GT Bumpers | CDC Black Fog-less Grill | SOS pillar | Autometer Cobalt Boost and D-PIC | Eclipse AVN5495
chrisc9867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/28/08, 11:55 AM   #7
Bullitt Member

Send a message via AIM to Mtang78
This is too ironic. Sunday night as I was driving out of a subdivision, it sounded like I ran over something like a tree branch or coat hanger or something. We immediately stopped, turned around and drove back but there was nothing in the road. Monday evening when I go to leave work, I hear a funny noise as I put the car into Drive. I turned off the stereo, put the car into Park, then back into Drive and didn't hear anything wrong so I drove home. Tuesday morning when I went to put the car into Reverse, the shifter indicator said Park, then in Neutral it said Reverse, then in Drive it still said Reverse.

Apparently the accordian (I think that is what you call the shifter rail cover) is broke and I will need to replace the entire unit as it is all one component. It is on order from Kevin (thanks Kevin!).

Oops, never mind - I found the instructions for removing the center console, etc. My bad.
Where are the instructions here on TMS for removing the console?? Since my car is out of warranty (don't that just figure - darn plastic parts - over 93,000 miles), I'm going to have to either do this myself or have my mechanic do this. So some instructions for removing the console, etc. would be much appreciated.

PS - off-topic - are we meeting up again in Birmingham at MCA / Ford's 45th Birthday Bash in April??

1978 Mustang II Ghia (302 V-8): Midnight Blue with 1/2 Vinyl Chamois Top; Chamois Interior; purchased Dec. 1979
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/490820

1978 Mustang II Ghia (302 V-8) - Dark Brown Metallic with 1/2 Vinyl Chamois Top; Chamois Interior; purchased July 2005
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2477013

1976 Mustang II Ghia (302 V-8) - Bright Blue Metallic with 1/2 Vinyl White top; Medium Blue Interior; purchased Sept. 2007 - ARRIVED 09-28-07!!

Can you tell I like Mustangs???

Last edited by Mtang78; 8/28/08 at 12:17 PM.
Mtang78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/28/08, 2:35 PM   #8
Bullitt Member

http://bradbarnett.net/service_man/B...or_Console.pdf

Old 8/28/08, 2:35 PM