2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

5R55 Transmission Problems That I Can't Find Information on Anywhere

Old 10/15/16, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5R55 Transmission Problems That I Can't Find Information on Anywhere

I recently picked up 2005 V6 Ford Mustang. Quite a few modifications have been done to her by the previous owner. Most notable is a Vortech V2 Supercharger system. Since i didn't do any of the modifications, i don't havce access to the tune or even know where to start with that. Now with the problem that i'm having, i cant seem to find anything relatable online. The problem is that while under wide open throttle, the tranny doesn't like to shift right away. I can't speak for any other gears, but most notable the 2-3 shift. Sometimes it'll redline for a couple of seconds before i either let off the gas or it slams/grinds into gear, but sometimes it'll shift smoothly, but that happens rarely. It's hard to tell if any audible noise is coming form it because also at this time my exhaust is backfiring/cracking from the high RPM. I know the 5R55 is famous for 2-3 shift flare but that doesn't seem like that.s what this is, or am i wrong? Please any help at all is much appreciated because this problem is destroying my 0-60 times.
Old 10/16/16, 08:41 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
One thing to try might be a simple fluid change if you don't know when it was done last.
Old 10/16/16, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only a couple of months ago I changed the tranny filter and drained as much fluid as I could and refilled it. So somewhere around 50% is new
Old 10/16/16, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamke
I recently picked up 2005 V6 Ford Mustang. Quite a few modifications have been done to her by the previous owner. Most notable is a Vortech V2 Supercharger system. Since i didn't do any of the modifications, i don't havce access to the tune or even know where to start with that. Now with the problem that i'm having, i cant seem to find anything relatable online. The problem is that while under wide open throttle, the tranny doesn't like to shift right away. I can't speak for any other gears, but most notable the 2-3 shift. Sometimes it'll redline for a couple of seconds before i either let off the gas or it slams/grinds into gear, but sometimes it'll shift smoothly, but that happens rarely. It's hard to tell if any audible noise is coming form it because also at this time my exhaust is backfiring/cracking from the high RPM. I know the 5R55 is famous for 2-3 shift flare but that doesn't seem like that.s what this is, or am i wrong? Please any help at all is much appreciated because this problem is destroying my 0-60 times.

Time for a rebuild or a swap. It will only get worst as time goes on especially if you are running any kind of power. The third gear clutch bands are the weakest link in our trannys. You can only build these things so strong. Basically you are restricted on the size of the parts you can put in there.

The best bands to get for you would be the Alto Reds. The Red Eagle clutch bands are Kolene steel and will give you at least double the durability. They go through a thermochemical treatment which hardens the surface. Anyways, that's what I run now and I've learned through experience. I'm on my third tranny.
Old 10/24/16, 09:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
This looks promising

http://etereman.com/blog/ford-transm...e-transmission