Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 GT brakes overheating

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/17, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 GT brakes overheating

Hi guys. I just changed the original rear brakes on my 08 GT, 46k miles, maybe two weeks ago. I put on ceramic ones from O'Reillys. Now I notice an intermittent overheating on the drivers side only. It's not all the time, just occasional, but the burning smell was bad today, and I even noticed a bit of smoke. I did not resurface the rotors, but they were in excellent shape. I had no problems changing the pads. Everything went very smoothly and fit back on easily. I have just enough mechanical skill to get into trouble. What might I have done wrong? What should I check? And can it be fixed without replacing more parts? Your advice is much appreciated.
Old 2/9/17, 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Did you use a rear brake piston compression tool or did you wing it? Did you line up the little notch on the brake pad with the piston? Did you re-lube the guide/slide pins?
Old 2/9/17, 03:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Correct piston compression tool: check. Little notches lined up: check. Re-lube the guide pins? That wasn't in the tutorial. So the caliper could be locked off-center?
Old 2/9/17, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well something is keeping the pad up against the rotor with some pressure. If the guide pins are sticking then it would drag. I suspect either the caliper itself is sticking or the parking brake mechanism is messed up. If you lube the pins and they move freely you will probably have to replace the caliper. I've replaced one side twice because it was getting stuck. Once was the caliper piston sticking and once was the e-brake not releasing properly.

Double check to make sure the notch is lined up correctly If not it can cause the top or bottom, or both, of the pad to stick out and rub. That is the most common issue I have seen after replacing pads. Sometimes it will become misaligned when you apply the brakes for the first time as there is a larger gap than during normal operation or it can move while putting the caliber back on over the rotor.

Last edited by 07 Boss; 2/9/17 at 05:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (2/11/17)
Old 2/9/17, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, Boss! I'll check that! I assume there's a special high-temp lube, just for that?
Old 2/9/17, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think they make some special lube for that. I use regular Permatex aluminum anti seize lube because I have it around. If you are going to buy some stuff get the disc brake caliber lube.

Amazon Amazon
Old 2/11/17, 01:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 Boss
Well something is keeping the pad up against the rotor with some pressure. If the guide pins are sticking then it would drag. I suspect either the caliper itself is sticking or the parking brake mechanism is messed up. If you lube the pins and they move freely you will probably have to replace the caliper. I've replaced one side twice because it was getting stuck. Once was the caliper piston sticking and once was the e-brake not releasing properly.

Double check to make sure the notch is lined up correctly If not it can cause the top or bottom, or both, of the pad to stick out and rub. That is the most common issue I have seen after replacing pads. Sometimes it will become misaligned when you apply the brakes for the first time as there is a larger gap than during normal operation or it can move while putting the caliber back on over the rotor.
Boss, when you say "notch" are you implying to the ones on the rear piston that should be straight up and down before you install the new pads? I'm asking as I'm going to replace the pads on my '06 soon. It will be the first time I've done the job myself, so I wanted to make sure.

OP, I hope yours is an easy fix. Please keep us updated.
Old 2/11/17, 11:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Make sure your park brake cables aren't seized. Recheck your pad installation.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=107&viewfile=Brake%20Pads.pdf

Park Brake Adjustment. http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=111&viewfil...Adjustment.pdf

Also make sure the caliper slide pins aren't seized. Remove and lube with brake caliper silicone if needed.

This is for an 05 model but should be the same for an 08.

Last edited by Lime GT; 2/11/17 at 11:06 PM. Reason: more info
Old 2/13/17, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
Boss, when you say "notch" are you implying to the ones on the rear piston that should be straight up and down before you install the new pads? I'm asking as I'm going to replace the pads on my '06 soon. It will be the first time I've done the job myself, so I wanted to make sure.

OP, I hope yours is an easy fix. Please keep us updated.
Yes. They should be vertical to the caliper. You will see two little nubs or pins on you brake pads. Those need to fit into the little notches on the piston. If you compress the piston all of the way they should line up. If one or both pins don't go into the notches the pad will sit crooked and drag.
Old 2/13/17, 01:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 Boss
Yes. They should be vertical to the caliper. You will see two little nubs or pins on you brake pads. Those need to fit into the little notches on the piston. If you compress the piston all of the way they should line up. If one or both pins don't go into the notches the pad will sit crooked and drag.
Got it, thank you sir.