2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 v6 Premium Conv Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/16, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 v6 Premium Conv Starting Issue

The problem just started yesterday. I tried to start the mustang and it wouldn't turn over. All the dash lights came on as if there were power. I jumped the car but it wasn't fast, took 1-2 minutes of sitting hooked up before the car started. The issue has happened 4 times now and the same thing happens each time. I took it to O'Reilly and the battery, starter, and alternator all test fine. The battery is from 2014. The car has the Shaker 1000 also. I saw issues posted about the 500, but not the 1000.

Does anyone know what could be wrong and how to fix it?

Last edited by snafcaveman; 8/22/16 at 07:28 PM.
Old 8/22/16, 08:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
If the battery, starter and alternator all test fine... then the cabling is the problem. You'll want to check the negative terminal, the positive terminal, the chassis ground, and even the starter terminals. And trace all the starter cables.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...g%20System.pdf

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=206&viewfil...g%20System.pdf

Those should help ya out.

I had very similar problem with a '66 Tbird, and it was a rusty terminal on the starter. Shined it up, voila, car started with gusto after that. Might be all it is. A loose/rustry/corroded connector.

Hope that helps!
Old 8/24/16, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by houtex
If the battery, starter and alternator all test fine... then the cabling is the problem. You'll want to check the negative terminal, the positive terminal, the chassis ground, and even the starter terminals. And trace all the starter cables.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=40&viewfile...g%20System.pdf

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=206&viewfil...g%20System.pdf

Those should help ya out.

I had very similar problem with a '66 Tbird, and it was a rusty terminal on the starter. Shined it up, voila, car started with gusto after that. Might be all it is. A loose/rustry/corroded connector.

Hope that helps!
I have tried this now and still the problem persists. Any other thoughts? I don't want to waste my money on diagnosis from the stealership when it may not repeat for them.
Old 8/24/16, 08:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Nope. Unless it's the SJB... and I don't think so, really.

If the problem persists, then it should be repeatable at the dealership. Also, video it to prove your point. Do a *good* job of lighting, not-shakey, decent sound...

You may have to leave the car with them for a couple of days.

You said in the first post it 'wasn't fast'. Did you mean the starter was slow, or it took a long time before it decided to turn over? If the latter, then yeah, that might be the SJB or maybe something with the PATS, perhaps the transceiver in the column. Either is a dealership thing, IMO, although there's videos regarding the transceiver being replaced.
Old 8/25/16, 05:08 AM

It ended up just being the starter it looks like. One of my mechanic friends was able to look at it. First thing he did was tap the starter with a hammer and it started right up after me not being able to start it all day. I put a new starter on last night and no issues. He said occasionally the mechanism that makes the gear extended and engage must be getting stuck.
Old 8/25/16, 07:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member