1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

I need your input/advices ( problem i have)

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/15, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I need your input/advices ( problem i have)

Hello members and mustang knowledge people. First thank you for reading and to the moderators,if it's in the wrong section i'm sorry,please move it.
Here is my situation! I have a 2000 GT spring edition,4.6 5spd . The other day while jumping on the interastate in 4th gear when i shift to 5th,i heard a noise in the engine. Luckily there was not much traffic so i steered to the side. While the car still running i heard this loud knocking sound.
Due to the way i keep my car i knew it was a no go to leave it there so while in 1st gear without giving gas i parked in a parking lot. Opened the hood and a coil is broken and easily moved around in circle. My girlfriend followed me in 1st gear till i got home.
The following day i went and pull out the coil,and the spark plug came out too. Threads on spark plug are bad. Reading thru out the net i heard about the kits to make new threads in the hole. I bought a new spark plug,it only goes half turn and stops,did not want to force it.
What are you guys opinion on those kits,or should i just go to a heads replacing (new)?
What is worst,i can't do mechanics where i live (HOA),my regular mechanic lives and hour aways so towing is going to be very expensive. I'm going crazy trying to find a solution to this grrrr.

my 2000 gt spring edition
Old 8/23/15, 10:50 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
You'll have to find one of those heli-coil kits. Blown out plugs happen with these cars. I would suggest finding a mechanic that's closer, you can do it yourself, but I'd go with someone who's done this kind of stuff before.

You also have to hope that none of the threads came off and fell down into the piston chamber. That would be very not good. A mechanic might have a scope to get down into the chamber through the spark plug hole and look around to see if there's anything to be worried about.

Last edited by StangMahn; 8/23/15 at 10:52 AM.
Old 8/30/15, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keensert, or helicoil are your only options, any type of tapping would get metal inside the motor. Helicoil a aren't expensive, especially since you only need 1 or 2. Biggest thing with a helicoil though is once you get it inside you need a center punch with a MAGNETIC tip because they have little tangs on the inside of them to help with install, and if you don't remove the tang the plug won't go in for enough. Just take that center punch and a little hammer and ping that tang out and if it's got a magnetic tip that little tang may not fall inside the motor. If it does I can't imagine that little thing being an issue though.