Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > SN95 Mustang > 1994-2004 V-6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 5/12/06, 11:48 AM   #1
nikbait

passive anti theft system

Hey guys. was just wondering what exactly this does in my 1995 mustang v-6. I have the module and the anti theft system works, it even says theft in the dash when i open the door and stuff. I was just wanting to know what exaCtly this does....does it only disable the car to prevent theives from stealing it or does it also alarm when someone tries to break into my car as well. my left door key lock does not work, i have to use my keyless remote and the right door key lock works with the key but i need to know about the anti theft cuz we have been getting cars broken into at work.....
tammy
Old 5/12/06, 12:07 PM   #2
Mach 1 Member

I believe what you are referring to is the ignition key system. The reason the igniton key has such a large base (and costs $60-$100!) is that it has a chip in it that has to be programmed specifically to your car. You can make a copy of the key without the chipped base and use it to unlock the doors, but to actually start the car, the programmed key is needed. I assume this is the feature you're talking about. It's not an audible alarm system or anything, and doesn’t protect your car from break-in. It just makes it more difficult to start the car. Hope this helps.
mudshuvel319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/12/06, 12:44 PM   #3
nikbait

No, that isn't what I was referring to. I don't have a key with a chip in it...just a regular looking key. I was referring to the anti theft system itself.
Old 5/12/06, 1:05 PM   #4
Low class manners, Lower class morals.
TMS Staff

Limey

2000 Cougar V6
there is a chip in your key as Mudshuvel says. The passive anti theft is exactly as he stated. An immobiliser without an alarm system. People can still break into your car, but will find it difficult to steal it.

Hence the "Passive" rather than "Active" (which would have an alarm)

And beat you through experience

jgsmuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5/16/06, 4:08 PM   #5
Team Mustang Source

Brian

2004 Chevy Classic
Send a message via AIM to Ballz
AAaaw! I always wondered if it did any thing! Not to bad but not to great either.
Old 5/16/06, 6:16 PM   #6
Mach 1 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz
AAaaw! I always wondered if it did any thing! Not to bad but not to great either.
Glad to help!

It's effective enough that Ford has used the same basic technology for the past decade.
Old 6/1/06, 5:37 PM   #7
Bullitt Member

The 95s did not have PATS keys, at least my 95 Cobra and a friends 94 Cobra do not. My Cobra key is normal ford black plastic coated head and my wifes set has plain metal, no plastic.
96 Mystic Cobra bought 04/07
ATE Superblue brake fluid, Russell S/S brake lines. MM K-Member Brace, Tokico HP shocks/struts, Eiback pro-kit springs

He who Hesitates is lost. (usually misses a few gears also)
MY05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/2/06, 8:19 AM   #8
Mach 1 Member

Sorry for the mistake, but what I described is the Pasive Theft device. If that's not available on the 1995 Mustang, then I don’t know what the first post was referring to.
The programmed key is definitely on '96s, so I guess that was the first year they did it.
Old 6/2/06, 10:22 AM   #9
Shelby GT350 Member

Skip

Mustang
I believe '96 was the first year for the PATS key. As far as nikbait's car goes I think that was Ford's theft deterrent system. If you put the window down and wait for a minute then reach in and open the door the horn will blow and the lights will flash. I know that's one way to check it without breaking any windows.
Old 7/1/06, 3:19 PM   #10

Cody

1965 Mustang restomod 2005 Ford Freestyle SEL, 2003 Ford Taurus SES
Send a message via MSN to codeman94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron93
If you put the window down and wait for a minute then reach in and open the door the horn will blow and the lights will flash. I know that's one way to check it without breaking any windows.
This works with cars that have the PATS?
1965 Mustang Restomod Coupe -Private Purchase- October 20, 2001 from Union, South Carolina -Appearence- Fiberglass Decklid with Molded Ducktail, Fiberglass '67 Shelby Style Hood, Nuclear White with Painted Blue Metallic Le mans Stripes, -Interior- Custom White Vinyl with Blue inserts, -Performance- bored .040, C4, Traction Bars, Manual Choke, Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms, Weiand Intake, Edelbrock 500cfm Carberator- BRENSPEED Dyno results on 05/05/07 157.46 rwhp 217.91 rwtq. Click here for Photo bucket gallery

2005 Mustang GT Premium Convertible -Private Purchase- July 29, 2009 from Chicago, IL -Options- Mineral Grey, Black top, 5 speed manual, Red Leather interior, 1 of 71. -Sold- April 11,2010

TMS Resident professional Musician-www.codycolliermusic.com Check me out on iTunes!
codeman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/29/06, 2:12 PM   #11

Problem with PATS

I have a 2002 3.8 'vert. It stalled in traffic yesterday and I was able to re-start it and get home. It does not start now though. The theft light is flashing and the engine cranks but doesn't light. I have disconnected the battery, tried the alternate key, done the instument diagnostics, checked the PCM connection and after reading various posts it seems this is a PATS tranciever or a key programming problem. Has this occured to anybody here and what did it ultimately turn out to be? Has this problem masked other probelems such as fuel system or igniotion?

Thanks for rthe help.
sandor06gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/29/06, 2:28 PM   #12
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Zoran

'09 Honda Fit, '08 Ford Fusion, '06 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, '00 Ford Mustang (USA), '02 VW Golf TDI diesel + bio-diesel (Serbia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor06gt
I have a 2002 3.8 'vert. It stalled in traffic yesterday and I was able to re-start it and get home. It does not start now though. The theft light is flashing and the engine cranks but doesn't light. I have disconnected the battery, tried the alternate key, done the instument diagnostics, checked the PCM connection and after reading various posts it seems this is a PATS tranciever or a key programming problem. Has this occured to anybody here and what did it ultimately turn out to be? Has this problem masked other probelems such as fuel system or igniotion?

Thanks for rthe help.
Yeah, I had same problem on my '00 Mustang V6 few years ago at ~20,000 miles, but I can't remember what the problem was. I had to tow my car to Ford dealer and it costed me around $300 to get it fix.
Old 7/29/06, 5:59 PM   #13
Mach 1 Member

Would a reflash help with this problem? It probably wouldnt but you never know right?
FOR GO: K&N CAI, Borla Stingers, Bridgestone Potenzas 245/45/17, X-Cal 2 (91-Torque tune), Steeda Tri Ax shifter, Accufab 70mm TB+Plenum, GTechPro RR, Garmin c340 GPS, MRT Catted H Pipe, Eibach Pro Spring Kit.
TO SHOW: Chase/sequential signals, Chrome plate fittings, Bullitt shorty antenna, Stainless bumper inserts, Bullitt fuel door, 'Angel Eye' projector headlights, Footwell neons, Hood decals, Mach 1 chin spoiler
TO DO: Unknown Headers, Kenne Bell 2.2 SC, Rear seat delete, sub frame connectors, Grille Delete, Custom Pony
ON ORDER: Nothing right now.
TO INSTALL: Nothing right now

You are what you race........
See my ride here.
tricky02GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/9/06, 4:58 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to crusader06
hey i know where you guys are coming from, my dad has a ford f150 with the same system, one time i tried starting it with a spare key, that didnt have a chip, it started but wouldnt go into gear, then when i turned the truck off, the key wouldnt come out of the ignition, we got it out after we used the remote to lock and unlock the doors a couple of times, but it was rather annoying, which is probally what ford ment for this system to be
crusader06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/9/06, 4:58 PM