1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Headlights vs. Parking Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/12, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights vs. Parking Lights

Good day all... Okay, here is my issue now that I am having. My headlights were working and my parking lights and tail lights were not unless I pushed the **** in a tad. Once I did that it all worked fine. It was suggested that I change the Headlight Switch and the Headlight Connector, both which have been done. After changing them I am still having the same issue, but this time not even pushing the **** in a tad works. Now I am pretty frustrated because the proposed fix did not work and now I think I am worse off. Any ideas people because I am all out.

Thanks!!!
Old 10/3/12, 12:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by devanslive
Good day all... Okay, here is my issue now that I am having. My headlights were working and my parking lights and tail lights were not unless I pushed the **** in a tad. Once I did that it all worked fine. It was suggested that I change the Headlight Switch and the Headlight Connector, both which have been done. After changing them I am still having the same issue, but this time not even pushing the **** in a tad works. Now I am pretty frustrated because the proposed fix did not work and now I think I am worse off. Any ideas people because I am all out.

Thanks!!!
You need to first check to see if you blew the fuse for the parking lamp/tail lamp circuit and replace that fuse if needed.

I know how these switches work. If you push it in part way between headlamps and parkinglamps, all you are doing is jumping the contact from the headlamps into the parking lamp contact which completes a circuit for them to operate. There is enough slop in the original switch to allow this to happen. With a new switch the design may more precise and not allow the two circuits to jump if the switch is held partway.

No matter what you are not receiving voltage to the headlamp switch into the parking lamp circuit. Like I said check the fuse first, then check for voltage to the headlamp switch at the pin designated for parking lamp voltage input.

In the diagram below, the parking/taillamp circuit is supplied by a 15 Amp fuse. The Tan/White wire supplies voltage to pin R and when the switch is in the parking lamp position, the circuit is completed from pin R to pin P which is the Brown wire that supplies all the exterior parking, sidemarker, taillamps and license plate lights.

Old 10/3/12, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by watchdevil

You need to first check to see if you blew the fuse for the parking lamp/tail lamp circuit and replace that fuse if needed.

I know how these switches work. If you push it in part way between headlamps and parkinglamps, all you are doing is jumping the contact from the headlamps into the parking lamp contact which completes a circuit for them to operate. There is enough slop in the original switch to allow this to happen. With a new switch the design may more precise and not allow the two circuits to jump if the switch is held partway.

No matter what you are not receiving voltage to the headlamp switch into the parking lamp circuit. Like I said check the fuse first, then check for voltage to the headlamp switch at the pin designated for parking lamp voltage input.

In the diagram below, the parking/taillamp circuit is supplied by a 15 Amp fuse. The Tan/White wire supplies voltage to pin R and when the switch is in the parking lamp position, the circuit is completed from pin R to pin P which is the Brown wire that supplies all the exterior parking, sidemarker, taillamps and license plate lights.
Are these the fuses under the dash or under the hood?
Old 10/4/12, 02:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by devanslive
Are these the fuses under the dash or under the hood?
Under the dash...