Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > Fox Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 6/17/05, 5:31 PM   #1
Mach 1 Member

On my dad's stang the left front wheel rubs like a mother when you turn it. I put in some rack limiters and that helped but It still rubs when you turn sharp. Only other thing I could think of that it might be would be the alignment. I think my brother said it pulls to the right a little bit when you let go of the wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way the wheels he has are 17"X9" I belive. They may be 8" wide.

EDIT: I guess it would help if I told you were it was rubbing. the rim (yes the rim) is rubbing the lower A Arm (not sure if there is just 1 or 2) The wheel looks to have been rubbing for quite some time since the rim is just about chewwed up where it has been rubbin that A arm.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/12/05, 1:40 PM   #2

I have the same prob. I have a 93 Lx notckback and it rubs only when I turn sharp.....My solution is I dont turn sharp....It works!
Blainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/15/05, 9:39 AM   #3
All the Multi-Quote King
MOTM June 2010 Winner
TMS Staff

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Hotrod@June 17, 2005, 5:34 PM
On my dad's stang the left front wheel rubs like a mother when you turn it. I put in some rack limiters and that helped but It still rubs when you turn sharp. Only other thing I could think of that it might be would be the alignment. I think my brother said it pulls to the right a little bit when you let go of the wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way the wheels he has are 17"X9" I belive. They may be 8" wide.

EDIT: I guess it would help if I told you were it was rubbing. the rim (yes the rim) is rubbing the lower A Arm (not sure if there is just 1 or 2) The wheel looks to have been rubbing for quite some time since the rim is just about chewwed up where it has been rubbin that A arm.

Keep in mind that when you refer to a wheel as 17"X9" that means that the diameter is 17 inches and the width is 9 inches so your reference that it might be 8 inches wide is a contradiction.

Here is a helpful tidbit....the lower control arms have a pad welded to them and this is likely where the wheel is rubbing....you can take a disc cutter and grind the welds and remove this pad...that should net you another 1/8" of clearance and may just do the trick.
Current Collection:'03 Mach 1, '99 Roush F150, '02 Subaru WRX, '88 Saleen #246, '66 Ford Ranch Wagon, '87 LX, '89 LX, '89 5.0 LX Hatchback, '67 Chevrolet Panel Van, '50 Desoto, '49 Chevrolet 3800 Delivery, '85 Hatchback, '67 Fastback(S code), '53 Ford Jubilee, '68 Coupe, '65 GT Fastback(A code), '69 Firebird, '69 Mustang Convertible, '66 Chevy II, '97 Crew Cab Dually(5 speed), '86 SVO(black-owned twice), '03 Infiniti G35, '72 240Z, '87 LX 5.0 Hatchback, '67 Coupe(S code), '68 GT Coupe(J code), '67 Fastback(T code), '66 GT Coupe(A code), '69 Mach 1(shaker), '68 Fastback(S Code), '83 Capri RS, '86 SVO, '69 Mach 1, '95 GT Convertible, '06 Magnum, '86 SVO(red), '90 Corvette, '64 Mercury Marauder, '65 Coupe(C code), 97 Crew Cab Dually(Auto), '67 GTA Fastback(A code), '65 GT Fastback(A code), '69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Dan Gurney Special, '86 SVO(Teal). Updated 4-13-14
svopaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/15/05, 9:39 AM