Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Tim Allen's Saleen

Old 7/15/04, 09:18 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I love this car!

Tim would probably have been very happy with the 450-or-so horsepower the "normal" Saleen Mustang put out. "But somehow, Steve came up with another 100 horsepower. And even I went, 'You know, enough's enough.'"

"Enough" in this case is a 576-bhp, 302-cu.-in. Ford V-8 that's been balanced, blueprinted and fitted with Ford Motorsport/SVO (longer) connecting rods, forged TRW pistons, ported and polished aluminum cylinder heads, Saleen supercharger-grind camshaft, Saleen intake manifold, Ford Motorsport 65-mm throttle body, high-flow fuel injectors, Saleen/Diversified Fuel Injection speed-density engine-management system, high-capacity fuel and oil pumps and Saleen racing oilpan with baffles. But not with the Ford Motorsport/SVO short block one would normally expect to find in a high-horsepower application. "The stock block and crankshaft are plenty strong," says Steve, "because we're only turning the engine a little over 6000 rpm. And while the Type-B Vortech supercharger kicks out 12-14 pounds of boost, the compression ratio is a relatively low 8.8:1."

In anticipation of this quantum leap in performance, Saleen made the requisite modifications to what was originally a 1993 Mustang LX, borrowing liberally from his racing parts bin. For example, much of the stock driveline was, ahem, recycled and replaced by heavy-duty components such as a Centerforce clutch, Tremec 5-speed gearbox, aluminum driveshaft, 3.55:1 ring and pinion, Auburn Traction-Loc differential and heavy-duty axles. Likewise, the stock Mustang suspension was replaced by a host of Saleen/Racecraft componentry including progressive-rate front and rear coil springs, gas-pressurized front struts/rear quad shocks, stiffer front and rear anti-roll bars, aluminum front A-arm bushings, adjustable front camber/caster plates, rear lower control arms, numerous urethane bushings and a Panhard rod. And, lest we forget, a front strut tower brace, G-Load brace, numerous subframe supports and a modified steering rack.

Then there are the brakes: "Steve told me they'd be expensive [$3500 plus labor], but I said, 'If it's safety, I'm willing to pay for it. 'Cause if it goes this fast, it's gotta be able to stop as fast.'"

It should. Stock Mustang LX 10.8-in. front and 10.1-in. rear discs have been replaced with Saleen/Racecraft rotors that measure a humongous 13.0 in. up in front and 12.2 in. at the rear. Four-piston calipers are fitted all around, as are 5-lug wheel hubs that support Speedline alloys (8.0-in. front/9.0-in. rear) shod with 255/40ZR-17 Goodrich Comp T/A tires. Unusual as they may be, those fancy (and pricey) Speedlines are capped with body-color, aero-style wheel covers.

"Those were my idea," says Tim, who claims he got his inspiration from Al Unser Jr.'s Indy car. "When I told Steve, he said, 'That's interesting. I use those on my racing cars.' Whatever. They're so simple they make the car look totally different," says Allen.

For that matter, so does the bodywork, which includes a carbon-fiber front facia fitted with Ford Thunderbird headlights. This really was Tim's idea, and although it's a good one, it gave the folks at Saleen more than a little grief.

Because the redesign called for a lower hoodline, the supercharger, alternator and air-conditioning compressor had to be relocated. Likewise, the front fenders had to be reshaped before the bodywork could be reproduced in carbon fiber. Saleen topped off the aero package with urethane front air dam, side skirts, rear valance and a Centrex (plastic) rear wing. And it was Tim who insisted that his car be fitted with a proper rollcage, albeit an unobtrusive one that doesn't detract from the appearance of the Mustang's mostly black interior. Peek inside the cabin and you'd swear it's nearly stock, proving that the Saleen people did a superb job -- on the rollbar and the rest of the interior.

Because a picture is worth a thousand words, we'll let the photos do the "talking" in describing most of the interior. But just so you know, the seats are by Recaro, the stereo sound system's by Pioneer and those zoomy pedals are by Lonza. 'Nuff said?

So, other than "awesome," what do we call this 180-mph, $50,000 hyper-customized Mustang? Tim Allen would call it "a real bad-boy of a motorcar," punctuating his description with his familiar apelike grunts that sound like "aargh, aargh, aargh" and look like R-R-R when spelled out -- in script on the windshield band.

On the track, what the Saleen R-R-R sounds like is "Rowrr, screeech! Rowrr, screeech! Rowrr, screeech!" With a few wows and expletives thrown in by yours truly, Road Test Editor Kim Reynolds and Saleen himself. Low gear begets mountains of wheelspin, 2nd gets you sideways, and even 3rd will spin those T/As. "The problem," says a shaken Mr. Reynolds, "is that thing there [the gas pedal]."

Yow-za!

With Saleen himself behind the wheel, the R-R-R goes from 0 to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and reaches the quarter mile in 12.4 sec. With better traction, it should accelerate quicker. And stop shorter too, although 114 ft. from 60 mph and 203 from 80 are nothing to sneeze at.

Nor were we disappointed with the Saleen's skidpad showing where it managed to pull an impressive 0.98g.

In an all-too-brief visit we didn't have a chance to drive Tim's car on the street, and maybe it's better that way. We still have our license. So does Tim, but then, hey, he's a TV star. Anyway, our host confesses, "You can't take the race car out of the car. We put insulation everywhere, but you can still hear and feel this thing. It's also a little too wiry for the street. First gear, it's ready to take off; 2nd gear, it chugs. It's happy cruising along with fast-moving freeway traffic."

Although Saleen changed the gearing and turned down the boost (to 10 psi), the car still doesn't like traffic. "There's so much torque in that motor...," Tim tells us.

"Indeed, there is, good neighbor" is what Wilson, Tim's TV neighbor, might say. "In fact, there's 527 lb.-ft. or 715 Newton-meters coming off that flywheel, Tim."

Tim Taylor, on the other hand, might say to his TV wife Jill, "Honey, did you know that there are 527 pounds of feet and a whole bunch of Fig Newtons stuck to my flywheel?"

Which is just the way Tim Allen likes it. "It's an absolute temptation to have a car that -- I don't care who pulls up next to me, in front of me, behind me, in a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or spec'd-out Porsche -- there's just not much out there that can come close to the thing. It's basically a street version of a Trans-Am car."

And no, it doesn't need more power. Right, Tim?

ACCELERATION

Time to speed ........... Seconds
0-30 mph ................... 2.3
0-40 mph ................... 3.3
0-50 mph ................... 4.2
0-60 mph ................... 4.9
0-70 mph ................... 6.1
0-80 mph ................... 7.3
0-90 mph ................... 8.3
0-100 mph .................. 9.8
0-110 mph .................. 11.4

Time to distance

0-100 ft .............................. 3.0
0-500 ft .............................. 6.9
0-800 ft .............................. 9.7
0-1320 ft (1/4 mi) ......... 12.4 @ 116 mph

BRAKING

Minimum stopping distance
>From 60 mph ............. 114 ft
>From 80 mph ............. 203 ft

HANDLING

Lateral accel (200-ft skidpad) ....... 0.98g
Speed thru 700-ft slalom ................ na
Old 7/15/04, 09:29 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, you really have to love a car to put that much money in it! reckon that is the quickest road legal fox?
Old 7/15/04, 09:32 AM
Post *****

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@July 15, 2004, 9:32 AM
Wow, you really have to love a car to put that much money in it! reckon that is the quickest road legal fox?
Nah . . I've got a Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine from a couple of years ago that have some notchbacks going 10's in the quarter mile (I think one was a daily driver) and still have A/C.
Old 7/15/04, 10:16 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Evil_Capri+July 15, 2004, 10:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evil_Capri @ July 15, 2004, 10:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jgsmuzzy@July 15, 2004, 9:32 AM
Nah . . I've got a Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine from a couple of years ago that have some notchbacks going 10's in the quarter mile (I think one was a daily driver) and still have A/C. [/b][/quote]
I remember that Steeda had a notchback doing 9's through the (aftermarket) cats, in the early 90s.

Edit: BTW, I wonder what happened to that Saleen?
Old 7/15/04, 10:19 AM
Post *****

Originally posted by mr-mstng+July 15, 2004, 10:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mr-mstng @ July 15, 2004, 10:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Evil_Capri@July 15, 2004, 10:35 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-jgsmuzzy
@July 15, 2004, 9:32 AM

Nah . . I've got a Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine from a couple of years ago that have some notchbacks going 10's in the quarter mile (I think one was a daily driver) and still have A/C.
I remember that Steeda had a notchback doing 9's through the (aftermarket) cats, in the early 90s.

Edit: BTW, I wonder what happened to that Saleen? [/b][/quote]
I know/think Tim Allen sold it. I thought I saw it at last years? Barrett Jackson Auction.
Old 7/15/04, 11:03 AM
Service Manager

Received 428 Likes on 207 Posts
I always liked the car but hated the wheels.
Old 7/15/04, 12:55 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by svopaul@July 15, 2004, 12:06 PM
I always liked the car but hated the wheels.
Weren't those just covers for the speedline wheels?
Old 7/15/04, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thsose wheels are a spaceage plastic and Shelby used those kind of manufactured wheel in the Late 80's on a Turbo Dodge. 16's on the Dodge only weighed 9lbs each.
Old 7/17/04, 01:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

yeah dont like the wheels. and the tbird lights make the front look a little wierd. but there are alot faster street cars. i was at dinwiddie last month and in the TS class there was a car running like 8.9's or something and a couple in the nines and a few in the 10's. i just want to know how a street car can have a chute?? LOL
Old 7/24/04, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@July 15, 2004, 9:32 AM
Not hardly. Totally street legal. 10.56 @ 131 mph. Take a look below. You can see more photos of this car at:

http://<a href="http://www.turbochar...My</a> Webpage
Old 7/24/04, 03:13 PM
GTR Member

NOICE!!!!!

I just love turbo 5.0s!