1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Where to start

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/16, 01:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Where to start

I have a unique situation in that I just acquired a '66 Coupe from a family member in financial need. My wife and I plan on doing some work to the car as we will most likely own for a while. However, the family member is hoping to buy it back when things get better.

I would like to hear suggestions on what would be the top things to do to such a car. We plan on driving it and having fun with it while we have it.

Some things I am considering:

1.Disc Brakes - all the way or around, or just the fronts? I will also split the system for safety as I hear that is highly recommended.

2. Engine: 200 ci I6 - It looks rough and sounds like a moped on steroids. It also has some oil pooled in some of the screw holes.

3. Body: The body had a Maaco paint job about 10 years ago. Its got some bubbles, there is some rust behind the right rear wheel in the well. Things look al little rough around the windows.

Those are the main things that come to mind. I am brand new to classic cars. I am fairly handy. I have a neighbor with a lift in his garage and extensive car experience who I think will enjoy assisting me in some projects.

Again, I am curious as to how you would prioritize these items. We are not looking to do a full restoration.

Any opinion will be appreciated.

Paul
Old 8/24/16, 01:18 PM

I also want to mention that the gas gauge is not working and my wife wants that addressed immediately. I think I've noticed that this is common. I will be searching for a fix, but feel free to post any that you might know.
Old 8/24/16, 01:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
I'd deal with brakes, engine after seeing how much hidden rust there is. These early Mustangs are famous as hidden rustbuckets. If you find extensive rust issues,you may decide to leave it as-is.

If it isn't too bad, you don't have to spend a fortune. Front discs with a split system would be good, and an engine rebuild would be also a great idea. The 200ci six is no power beast, but not a bad engine at all when it is healthy.
The following users liked this post:
microjedi (8/24/16)
Old 8/25/16, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 6 cylinder. Not a beast at all but very pleasant to drive.

Allen.
Old 8/27/16, 06:38 PM

I'm going to have it looked at by a local restoration shop to get some professional opinions. I think brakes will be a priority so I will at least feel comfortable driving it. I took it for a short drive the other day. Its amazing how careful I found myself driving because of how hard it seemed to stop it. I'm not looking for a performance set-up, just a safe one. Is it common to switch all brakes to disc, or primarily the front?
Old 8/29/16, 08:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You could go either way, depending on budget. Even front discs-only is a huge improvement. If she is staying a six cylinder, four-wheel disc brakes would be overkill for me. You might prefer otherwise, of course.
Old 8/29/16, 08:04 AM

I am definitely leaning towards front only. I don't have any plans to swap out the I6. I am getting the car evaluated by a local restoration shop this week. I'll see what they have to say about it. I am not sure as to the overall condition of the rest of the car.

I guess I'll know more on Wednesday.
Old 8/31/16, 11:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Keep us posted. We all want to know what happens!
Old 9/5/16, 05:30 PM

So I am definitely doing the front brakes with the intent of keeping it 4 lugs.

I am currently looking at the SSBC kit at CJPonyparts.com

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ssbc-fron...-1966/p/A1205/

I am hoping to do it with the assistance of a neighbor who is very experienced with old cars.

I am wondering if there is anything else in that area of the vehicle that I should consider doing while I have the brakes off. Ball joints or anything else you all may have done with your cars.

My neighbor is out of town the rest of the week, so I won't know my plan until I talk to him.