Curated Content Articles 64-70 Youtube & Photo Gallery Magazine Type Articles With Pictures By IB / Photo Gallery & Youtube

67' Shelby Project

Old 9/20/07, 10:26 AM
Service Manager

Received 428 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by wsmatau
Wow, that car is clean. What suspension are you going to run?

We are still working on that but the plans right now include a Watts Link setup in the rear and rack & pinion up front.
Old 9/20/07, 10:32 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Knight
I'm curious how the cowel comes off like that. I redid my 65 quite a few years back and didn't see anyway other then cutting to get it off.

Was it bolted in or did you have to cut it off and reweld it later?

Typically it takes HOURS to remove an upper and lower cowl section and it requires drilling out hundreds of spot welds....

However, while the car is solid...it was redone MANY, MANY years ago from the appearance of things and while all the work looks as though it was done properly from everything we have seen, someone took a shortcut on the cowl panel and it was brazed in about a dozen places and then caulked with household tube and tile type caulking. This caused some rust in the edges and the result of what they did meant the cowl was not securely attached and while we dug out the caulking we noticed the entire cowl moving....in a little over 30 minutes we had the entire upper and lower cowls out of the car. This would normally take HOURS to accomplish. This goes to show that you should not rely on appearances...we knew something was up though from the brushed look around the cowl under the hood...so I knew someone had been in there before.

We are going to mount the car on a rotisserie and soda blast everything...this well give us a completely clean shell were we can address anything needed and properly install the new cowl panels.
Old 9/20/07, 01:13 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok now taht explains why it looked the way it did. Thanks for the responce!
Old 9/23/07, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There were no 67 Shelby convertibles sold to the public. (I think there was one made by Shelby that was later turned into a 68). So are you going to make it look like a 67 Shelby or 68 Shelby?
Old 9/23/07, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
We are still working on that but the plans right now include a Watts Link setup in the rear and rack & pinion up front.
Thanks Paul,
I guess I was looking for brand recommendations. I've been reading CornerCarvers.com and although they have a lot of good options, I'm not sure I want to cut a car up and I intend to drive the car on the street. I'm not willing to sacrifice for that extra nth second on a road coarse, but I would like to be able to take it once or twice a year.
I may dive in headfirst and buy a dynacorn body and build it exactly the way I want. I'd rather spend $50k and do that than buy someone elses heap they are sick of dumping money into. I want to plan it all out in advance to minimize costing myself time/money.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 9/24/07, 06:56 AM
Service Manager

Thanks Paul,
I guess I was looking for brand recommendations. I've been reading CornerCarvers.com and although they have a lot of good options, I'm not sure I want to cut a car up and I intend to drive the car on the street. I'm not willing to sacrifice for that extra nth second on a road coarse, but I would like to be able to take it once or twice a year.
I may dive in headfirst and buy a dynacorn body and build it exactly the way I want. I'd rather spend $50k and do that than buy someone elses heap they are sick of dumping money into. I want to plan it all out in advance to minimize costing myself time/money.

Thanks,
Frank
Frank, if you wait just a little bit I will be happy to give brand recommendations. What we plan to install is nothing that will cut the car up.

While there are a lot of knowledgeable people on Corner Carvers I find it to be a bit unfairly biased at times..mostly because if someone recomends something different than the masses they are either banned or severly chastized...that site is more like a 3 ring circus at times. One of my customers just simply wanted to share a video of his Kenny Brown Stage 2 prepped Mustang and they not only banned him for it, they attacked and crashed his server in spite....very childish if you ask me. I've been a member there for a few years now but never go there anymore after witnessing that behavior. Seems that along with those that DO know a thing or two...you have an equal amount of childish people that make it an unfriendly atmosphere for those looking to get into it or educate themselves.

I have everything for this car on paper suspension wise right now and as soon as we progress a little further I will let you know exactly where we are headed. In the end it's up to John but he is still weighing in on some of his plans for the car.
Old 9/24/07, 06:58 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Sharp
There were no 67 Shelby convertibles sold to the public. (I think there was one made by Shelby that was later turned into a 68). So are you going to make it look like a 67 Shelby or 68 Shelby?

That is correct and the 1 convertible that was made is sitting in a Museum. The car will be a '67 Shelby replica....with only 1 being made, all the more reason to make it a '67 to have something different. Aside from that John prefers the '67 appearance over the '68....I feel the same way myself.
Old 9/24/07, 10:49 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I do too, although its hugely popular, Ive never been a fan of the styling for '68, with the '68 GT500KR's front fogs.
Old 9/25/07, 08:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pics from 9-22-07...removing motor , tranny , and trunk area...

Old 9/25/07, 10:48 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That car is in great shape. very little rust. where was the car from?
Old 9/25/07, 01:48 PM
Service Manager

If anyone is interested that is following along....the engine and transmission from this car are for sale...John will not be using either. The engine is complete as pictured with a Performer intake and Edelbrock carb and it is spotless inside...ran perfect...also has an electronic distributor, Motorsport valve covers and '93 5.0 HO shorty headers. It appears as though this car was originally restored in the very early 80's and this was probably a Ford Crate engine. The block is dated 1979 and the heads are dated 1978...it is a 302. The Transmission is the original C4 and appears as though it was rebuilt in the past and while it worked the fluid was still red but not crystal clear red so I would recommend freshening it up prior to install. Both engine and trans are at my shop...pickup only. $700/OBO on the engine and $75 on the transmission.
Old 9/25/07, 03:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

I found the car on internet in McAllen, TX.
Old 9/27/07, 01:20 AM
GT Member

Looks a like a solid, well optioned 67 vert ! I have just seen the post of the fire....... sorry about that. But with this one, the bad times are behind and the good ones are coming.

Succes
Geoffrey
Old 11/7/07, 08:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Congrats Paul on the new baby boy!!!

Now let's get back to work

Here's some recent pics

Old 11/7/07, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice to see your going all out and doing it right. I can't wait to see it done.
Old 11/8/07, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Holy cow! How are you getting away with doing that type of work outside? Don't they have any tree huggers where you live?
Old 11/8/07, 03:22 PM
Service Manager

Holy cow! How are you getting away with doing that type of work outside? Don't they have any tree huggers where you live?
It's baking soda and completely environmentally freindly....but this isn't california and therefore we are not regulated by those "types". Besides, the construction company service bay next door has more things for tree huggers to worry about with occasional oil spills and pressure washing big rigs than to worry about what little we do here.
Old 11/8/07, 04:18 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
hate those tree huggers, I love driving by a Prius and opening up the throttle, leaving fumes in their face
Old 11/9/07, 12:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
hate those tree huggers, I love driving by a Prius and opening up the throttle, leaving fumes in their face
not only tree huggers own prius...I would have one just to stick it to the man....oil companies.
Old 11/10/07, 07:38 AM
Service Manager

I have a Motorcycle to "stick it to the man"....that Prius is just SO ugly I couldn't even ride in one as a passenger!!! Why is it that EVERY hybrid or "green" car is the ugliest thing on the planet....almost like the tree hugger designers don't have a lick of taste at all!

Aside from that my SVO gets 27-31mpg (highway) depending on how much you stay out of the throttle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67' Shelby Project