1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

390 FE installation

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/15, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
390 FE installation

Hi,my name is Goran i live in sweden and i am rebuilding a 68 Fastback S code Mustang and i am trying to fit a 390 in there.
I have a nice pair of Edelbrock alu heads that i want to use but they are not GT style heads so i wonder if it is possible to fit the engine without modifying the car.I have the engine hanging in the lift and the right exhaust hedder installed the front header bolt is in contact with the thick enforcement on the springhouse.The hedders are a set of Hoocker that fits my heads and they are suposed to fit the Mustang.
Please if anyone knows how to make it come together,let me know i really want to be able to use my cool alu heads and i have spent a lot of time and money on the engine.The engine block is a 64 and that also gives a problem to fit the enginemounts but i think i have got the engine in the right position.The front hedderbolt is exactly in level with the thick inforcement on the springhouse and i will have a little more space if i lift the engine a bit.If anyone have any ideas please give me some tips.
Sorry about the misspelled words
Goran
Old 3/1/15, 03:10 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds like just headers is your issue. I would contact Hooker and maybe a couple other companies for a set of headers that will work for your application. Might even take a custom set but it would sure be worth it. A set of stock 390 high flow manifolds may also be an option. Good luck with the build.
Old 3/1/15, 05:11 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
if i ammember correctly GT 390 engines had dual bolt patterns ..does your aluminum heads have 4 bolts per outlet ? regular passenger car engines used bolts that were up and down on the engine and the manifolds were flat .. GT engines used manifolds that used bolts that were side to side and were very much like headers ..you may need to find headers like these pictured with both bolt patterns
Attached Images  
Old 3/1/15, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi my heads have 16 boltholes on each side,and my Hoocker hedders are very `slimmed`so i think they are alright i have also asked Holley and they say it is the right ones for the car there is enough space for the tubes it is just the front top bolt that is very tight against the side of the springhouse.Original GT heads have 14 bolts per side and the top bolts are in two different hights.
However i dont know if the GT heads makes the engine smaller and therfore giving more space on the sides.
Goran
Old 3/2/15, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Goran, as long as its all FE parts it should all fit as for the header bolt on my 428 FE car it was always very tight and a pain to get in and out it would be right up against the shock tower untill it was fully screwed in and then there was still very little room